• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bearing roar

Turbo Detroit

Hey guys and gals...my m35a2 every now and then only when your turned and moving and then shift while turned and moving it makes a roaring noise but as soon as you straighten wheel up it doesent do it.......was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue or does have this issue...i was gona check pinon bearings....backlash.....possibly throwout out bearing but it only does it in a moving motion and only when the wheel turned amd usally from first to second going down hill....i think i have covered all bases.....jsut curious if anyone has done diagnosed or is working on resolving a similar issue...Thanks

Turbo Detroit

Just got the truck changed oil and filters.....been on a camp for 15 years....its on the to do list.....its only got 7100 miles on it.....the rockwells in my off road truck been in there 8 years and have around 45000 miles on them and the bearings are all tight and thats with 44 inch boggers...but the deuce is alot heavier so its a possibilty...but i am gona check them....

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like wheel bearings to me. When was the last time you inspected them?
:ditto:
If you have not serviced the bearings it is time to check them out.
If you just got the truck you do not know the history of the service, I have been down that road before and it will not end well.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am impressed you can hear bearing roar in a deuce.

I mean, I can hear noisy transmissions and transfers, but I think I'd have to get it up to speed and kill the engine to hear a bad bearing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Can you try to describe that "roar" better? Could it also be like gears barely grinding? Is it a winch truck?

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am impressed you can hear bearing roar in a deuce.

I mean, I can hear noisy transmissions and transfers, but I think I'd have to get it up to speed and kill the engine to hear a bad bearing.
You obviously haven't had a bearing up front go bad.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You obviously haven't had a bearing up front go bad.
Not in a deuce. Several cars (when I was 16, a front bearing failed on a car I had just bought, taking out the spindle and a week later, one of the rears did the same thing) but no deuces. A bad bearing is definitely noisy, I am just surprised you can hear it in a deuce.

A bad front bearing, and then only roaring when shifting between 1st and 2nd, while turning....??:?

G.
When I read the initial post, I thought the same thing. Frame flexing, moving PTO handle, trying to engage PTO. But I'd have to think anyone would refer to that as a grinding sound, not a roar.

gimpyrobb

I can only go from my experience. His description sounds to me like what happened when I had a bearing go out. When the pinion gets out of whack, the whole front end shakes!

Clinto, can you tell us what a bearing going out sounds like on a 7k rated trailer with 14klbs on it?!!!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can only go from my experience. His description sounds to me like what happened when I had a bearing go out. When the pinion gets out of whack, the whole front end shakes!

Clinto, can you tell us what a bearing going out sounds like on a 7k rated trailer with 14klbs on it?!!!
I never heard it and we had the radio off.

I can tell you what it looked like............ LAVA!

20140701_130438.jpg20140701_170506.jpg20140701_125638.jpg

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce makes a roar while doing down the road. I cant hear it but wife driving behind me can. I quit driving it till I can check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

My Deuce makes a roar while doing down the road. I cant hear it but wife driving behind me can. I quit driving it till I can check it out.
Mine too Tim. I'm leaning toward the trans input shaft bearing as it quiets down when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

welldigger

I have a bearing screaming in mine. At some point next year I'm going to tear into it. It's ear shattering in the cab. I have a muffler which makes the bearing/gear noise all the more obvious/painful.

Turbo Detroit

Just got back from 30 mile trip no noise what so ever until i stoped for fuel i had to do a 12 point turn and as i mash the clutch in i get the roar.....regardless if the tires are turned....throw out bearing maybe......but i was looking under the truck and the air hose to transfer case is leaking at regulator...could the front end be engaging and disengaging? im gona change it tomorow......but it seems like it when i mash the clutch in....then i had to stop again at grocery store and turning around no noise what so ever it seems random....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not knowing your trucks past is not really a bad thing but we all need to be ready to INSPECT everything then do it again to cover anything we missed the first time! Its been my experience with the trucks we drive that TIME and 95% of the time lack of use/moving that is the biggest problem! I bought a Deuce a couple years ago it was in great shape no rust and the engine ran beautifully, well I got the truck home and started inspecting, well after fluids belts tranny diffs all the normal stuff I pulled a set of rear wheels off to inspect the rear bearings, after close examination I could see where each of the bearings had 1 small rough spot in both the races and the rollers, upon further looking I found this the case with all 8 bearing and races on the rear axles, lots of work and expense later I had it fixed (PIA)! All I can figure is the truck sat in a hot climate and did not move for a long time and over this time the bearing grease essentially melted out of the bearing leaving them unprotected, in the end it destroyed all the rear bearings and components. This was a first for me to see this!
KK

Jeepsinker

It could very well be the throw out bearing, and I it could be missing one of the retainers allowing it to walk from where it should be and grind on something. You still need to go through all of your wheel hubs before you drive it much more.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just got back from 30 mile trip no noise what so ever until i stoped for fuel i had to do a 12 point turn and as i mash the clutch in i get the roar.....regardless if the tires are turned....throw out bearing maybe......but i was looking under the truck and the air hose to transfer case is leaking at regulator...could the front end be engaging and disengaging? im gona change it tomorow......but it seems like it when i mash the clutch in....then i had to stop again at grocery store and turning around no noise what so ever it seems random....

So what ever came of this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks