• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed crane designs...

mudguppy

I just called EZY-LIFT and inquired about the flatbed version of the EZYLIFT 2000 for my bobbed deuce with the M105A2 bed. Regular price for the EZYLIFT 2000 flatbed version is $6,300+ and he offered me 20% off before the end of the year. That came to $5,000. Quite the sticker shock. Looks like I won't be putting one of those on my bobbed deuce.

Back to the drawing board...
build one.

Heath_h49008

Been there done that, no need to drag a wrecker around for smaller lifts. Need a crane to lift my 395s on hemtt rims in the bed if I get a flat. Maybe some other toys too.

Heath, you really need to think about how you will control swing if you are moving 2klbs. Even on level ground that will be hard to do.
Very good point.

Maybe 2 lock pins... one hinge to angle/fold the boom, then pin it in place, and pull the second pin to rotate using the same cylinder. One cylinder mounted above both pivot points with a hiem joint. What I could salvage the ram from would be the question.

This will be something I build, not buy. The mast will be the length of the bed minus the base, and the boom arm the width of the bed minus the boom ram thickness. Designing the base with front to back pivot, and the mast with rotation as close to the base as possible seems to be the first order. Boom strength will be an issue as well. Using one upright instead of two will really stress the structure, but I think it's possible. It doesn't have to be light enough for an F150.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Here are some pics of what I will be working with. The pics don't show the inner bar at the top that extends out 2-4ft. I will probably have a small winch on the end of it. I was toying with cutting out the diagonal and making that a hydro cyl, but I will wait till I get the assembly installed first and see how it does. I have a solid bar to go in the top and bottom tube so it will pivot where the split in the second pic is.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Yup, I have been looking at similar winches for mine. I have a couple spools of 1/4 stainless cable I could use on them.

Heath_h49008

I need to find the right steel for the mast and boom, and the right bearings for the base hinge and pivot. I really don't care if it ends up weighing 900lbs, so my options are open. I suppose if I wanted to be ugly I could just use greased solid steel bars as hinge pins and a greased pipe-over-shaft as the pivot. Drill a couple holes for large pins at the down and vertical position on the mast, and another to pin the pivot or let it swing.

Mount the winch on the mast or the floor, and put a moveable pully-point on the boom. Or the whole winch could be on the boom, although I don't see any advantage to that.

I would be too heavy to stand up manually, and loaded would be dangerous or impossible to swing, so there will have to be a ram. A pretty stout one...

gimpyrobb

LD= learning disabled? Why do you guys insist on making fun of me?

Anyhoo, Heath I have a hub from an M720 I could send your way if you would pay shipping. Should get you a good start or something to brain storm with. I can get pics if ya want.

Heath_h49008

Pics would be great! In a week I have a full machine shop, welding shop, and drafting lab at my disposal. I should be able to put something together on paper and into a prototype we can all use.

If you can put a couple of dimensions, or a ruler in the pic it would be helpful. I'm not familiar with these trailers...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks