• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed dimensions of a M35A2 and A3? Can I haul a Suburban in one or on a trailer?

alfred10

I was wondering what the max dimensions of an M35A2 and A2 are as in the largest vehicle that I can fit inside the bed. Any ideas on how to get a vehicle in the back?

How much weight can a Deuce tow Max with step road hills and off roading in mind? Im deff. going to get one of these next summer. It would be a plus if I could toe or haul a Chevy Suburban.

Any ideas on super durable off and on road capable trailer that would haul a new chevy suburban? It doesnt have to be covered.

MDSA

The bed of any M35 is 12' X 7'3" (inside dimensions). With the tailgate suspended horizontally by its chains, you gain about a foot.

I have seen light vehicles put in the back of a Deuce with ramps, but the best way would be a loading dock. I don't know the bed height of the deuce.

My deuce data plate says 10,000 lbs towing capacity - on the highway. Off road would depend on how rough - and wet - the terrain is.

To haul a Suburban you would need a civy trailer with a pintle hitch. I don't know of a military trailer long enough for a Suburban.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search is your best option, as these are very common questions but...

Bed: 8x12 which is something like the size of a jeep liberty or smaller I believe. You'd have to make/find ramps that could support the vehicle too or find a loading dock that you could use to drive onto the bed but then theres the issue of getting it off when you get to your destination.

As far to tow weight im sure it could pull anything you can throw at it, stopping is the issue. Its not uncommon for guys here to towbar another deuce behind a deuce. I'm sure you could pull a 5-ton behind a deuce but again..stopping would be no bueno.

As far as trailers go that could haul a suburban..nada, but you may look into tow-bar'ing it behind the deuce. Hope this helps. [thumbzup]

Farmun

The bed is not long enough, and most likley not wide enough to handle a 'Burb. My Jeep Wrangler will barely fit in mine, and a 'Burb is quite a bit longer and wider. As mentioned above, tow bar-ing is the best option. After market trailer hitches are popular, but the braking issue will have to be addressed with a load that heavy.

alfred10

How does the tow bar work? How do you tow an auto or manual vehicle? Do you have to put it in neutral? Will it burn the tranny up on the towed vehicle?

YTS Deuce

How does the tow bar work? How do you tow an auto or manual vehicle? Do you have to put it in neutral? Will it burn the tranny up on the towed vehicle?
This totally depends on the year of the suburban, 80's vintage, maybe can be flat towed, 90's cannot be flat towed without removing drive line. 2000's can be flat towed by placing transfer case in neutral. The owner's manual of the suburban will tell you if that particular rig can be flat towed or not.

As far as braking, look on an RV supply site such as as Camping World, there are units like the "Brake Buddy" that actually sit on the floor of the suburban and push on the brake pedal when it receives a signal from the sending unit that you would install in your deuce.

Simply put, you press on the deuce brake pedal, and the box installed in the Burban will push on the burban brake pedal.

If your particular suburban can be flat towed, this would far and away be the easiest and most cost effective method.

As far as hauling in the bed, yes, it is possible, but totally not feasible. You would need a loading dock and blocks of wood or something similar. The wheelbase of the burban is too long for the tires to sit in the bed, you would have to block up under the frame of the burban and let the wheels hang off the end. Doable for a one time recovery or something similar, but certainly not feasible for a regular thing.

Cheers.