• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bed hold down options

Aernan

I picked up a couple of batteries and realized I don't carry and straps or nets.

What kind of load retaining stuff are you using? I did go look at military cargo nets but the variety blew my mind. :)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I'm going to have to go look for that hole. I don't think mine has it, or else I never noticed it.

For cargo management, I carry...
- Regular sized (1" wide?) ratchet straps
- Regular sized (1" wide?) cam-lock straps
- Heavy duty (2-3" wide?) ratchet straps
- A military cargo net (about 8'x6' - I'm not sure what it's off of but it has little metal j-hooks all around it, and strap adjusters on one side)
- 3/4" thick rubber horse stall mats in the bed
- Some 2' long pieces of 1"x2" and 2"x4" lumber
- A wooden "crate" (really, it's the top of a bench flipped upside down, so it's about the size of one of the longer troop bench sections)
- Moving blankets (Harbor Freight sells two kinds of camouflage blankets, and the "72 in. x 80 in. Camouflage Utility Blanket - Item#66044" one I prefer has the woven fabric not the unwoven type that reusable shopping bags also use, because it doesn't seem to catch splinters/prickers/grass/debris as bad)

Most of the time, little things fit well in the "crate", which doesn't move around much because of the rubber mats. Loose items (e.g. bags of groceries, milk crates full of tools/parts, etc.) can often be held in place by just throwing the net over top of them, which makes them clump together as a unit and they don't really go anywhere. The pieces of wood come in handy for either making an elevated platform to lay materials (e.g. pipe) on, before ratchet strapping, or creating chocks to keep stuff from rolling around.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In both my Ram and my deuce I carry an expanding load bar. It expands to reach each bed-side then cams into place. It’s the kind that expands in two places so it fits both wide beds and pickup beds. Although it’s not a tie-down, it keeps things from sliding around and it’s very secure. Great for small items.

Aernan

In both my Ram and my deuce I carry an expanding load bar. It expands to reach each bed-side then cams into place. It’s the kind that expands in two places so it fits both wide beds and pickup beds. Although it’s not a tie-down, it keeps things from sliding around and it’s very secure. Great for small items.
That looks like a perfect solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks