• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Before you make the long haul! Check your tank and hangers!!!

Buster70

I recently recovered a M105 from Juan Prado in N.O., all went well and the truck ran like a top! The next day I saw fuel under the deuce. The next day(2 days later) I saw a large pool of fuel! Yesterday I pulled the tank( pretty easy) and found " Major Holes" hiding under there! Photo031.jpgPhoto032.jpg

I pulled out the Mig-welder with some .023 and cut and welded in some patches.Photo039.jpgPhoto040.jpg Filled it with some fuel and checked for leaks! All good this morning!
I heated and scrapped off the old paint, I love finding lettering!!! It's like OD archaeology!Photo045.jpg

Think about pulling your tank some day and at least cleaning the dirt and crud from the space in the hangers! It was the dirt that held moisture that I believe rotted out the tank! It was really easy to pull, 2 wire plugs, 1 fuel discharge line( big one from the pump), 1 return fuel line( small one ), and 2 bolts on the straps. You might even think of cleaning the crud out of the tank at the time! I found parts of an old fuel pump in mine!

Flyingvan911

My tank is solid. I pulled my seat when I painted last summer. No rust on the floor but a little on the bottom of the seat base. Coated it with POR-15 and painted. Gave the floor a heavy coat of Rapco. A good idea is to put a spacer between the base and the floor so air can dry up any water under the seat. Or seal it up good so water can't get in at all. I used rubber washers to hold my MT-1029 base 1/8" off the floor on the passenger side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks