• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beginning with motorvation

spicergear

First part of new project. Big engine: Detroit Diesel 8V71 w/single turbo, 360-370hp, and real friggin' heavy.

I've decided I need a truck for heavy hauling, pulling and just a meaty burly truck. The 5-ton chassis got the nod...though I've not acquired any other part of the truck yet. Maybe the cart ahead of the horse but...it's horse-power so I think I'll be okay. :D

...and it's gonna sound angry as hell too! HA!

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geeze, maybe you could shoehorn that into a really stiff springed M37 or something! That sure is a sweet start for a project truck.

tom11919

Oooo... nice!

How much are those things going for,if you don't mind my asking? I've got a '56 REO dump truck thats going to need a motor if I ever get around to getting it operational again. Well, I do have two original Gold Comet V8s to make one good one, but that Detroit puts out about triple the horsepower! :twisted:

tacoma

That's the garage AND living room HAHAHAH

Eh, it'll never work, you can't fit that in there, it's going to blow up, it's weak, etc etc etc

Nice oil cooler?? on the side there! Holy crap!!!!!!

spicergear

Yeah, none of the other engines either...that's the fun of it :) Yeah, that's a big heat exchanger of some sort. I do think it's for an accessory, like hydraulic oil or the like as I can't find it connected back into the engine aside from the water hook ups at the water pump. I'm actually hoping that it may end up a little shorter, being a V instead of an inline, in the five ton and maybe be able to sneak an intercooler in.

Tacoma- I'm sending those parts out to you this week. I gotta get that thing fixed before I hurt myself with this heavy stuff...oh and I clocked Kaia (the dog) at 28mph yesterday!

JDToumanian

yes Yes YES!!! That's MY kind of project... LOVE those Screamin' Jimmies!

I've got a 6-71N in my 5 ton tractor... it's a tight fit lengthwise, I have a doghouse cover in the cab. You won't have trouble there being 2 less cylinders long but width will be an issue... you'll probably have to notch the frame in a few places.

mmmm... Alpine Green... :drool:

tacoma

Cool, I'll put Mikey on standby. ;)

I hope you clocked that dog by like, driving alongside, but then, there aren't any billboards nearby, and you are not a cop. :D :shock:

Cdub

Re: RE: Beginning with motorvation

Recovry4x4 said:
Is that your garage or your living room?
Ditto........??

You sure like your toys........Are you going to put that engine in a five tonner......??

spicergear

Yeah, that's my shop. My dad had put all that stuff up as he spent a lot of time out there smoking his pipe, warning me about oil spots on the floor, and drinking that rancid caffeine free diet pepsi. Ick. So I paint outside or do any engine break-ins outside. Welding and cutting but usually have the rear doors open. My big hoist is in the barn and I thought that CAT V8 was heavy. Whew.

Yep, will begin keeping my eyes open for a nice 5 ton donor chassis. Also decided to go with an Allison tranny.

1ton

spicer, you got a thing for v8 diesels. Best thing about Detroit's is the scream, since 2 stroke makes 2000 rpm sound like 4000. Considering one of the Detroit's nicknames was road oiler, you might wind up paving a few roads in your woods. Can't wait for the rest of the truck, spicergump style.

spicergear

Remember this post folks? Been playing with deuces and haven't run across the right 5 ton yet for the project. Um...I also may not be putting this 370hp 8V71 into the truck. I may be putting a 475hp 8V92 "Silver" in it's place! HA :) I've also been doing mucho research on the Allison auto in the size I'd need (740-750 class) and decided after pulling a couple of trucks around with my CAT V8 powered deuce truck that I'd rather be able to split gears. 10 would be nice but the hills and rear gears and limited overdrive nicks that. The 13 speed Fuller is looking like it's gonna get the nod. I really shouldn't spend the money...but...well...damn it...um...we'll see-- :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks