• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behind the bumper chain lockers...

rmgill

So, part of making my deuce more useful to a single user vs its original design of 1 of many vehicles in an area, involves my plans on additional storage under the bed as well as behind the bumper.

The Front bumper area, especially on a winch truck, doubles as a walkway for the front of the engine. Problem is, one misstep and you can hurt yourself. Initially, I thought to add a bit of expanded metal there between the bumper and fender to make a walkway, but then, it struck me that a locker there on either side of the winch would be great for recovery chains and perhaps if it's the right size, a couple of snatch blocks and shackles.

I picked up some stainless steel Diamond plate at work from the dumpster off of one of our docks. Some set was being struck from one of our studio spaces and that came out of there.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to how to build this. The space is wider towards the center of the truck, so it may be a matter of making the parts up and then welding them and installing them behind the bumper. I'm thinking I should make up a frame out of mild steel and then weld the Diamond plate to that and weld the corders and make it all one piece.

A good latch will be tricky but not impossible. A Lock hasp is easy. I'm torn between putting the hinge along the front edge or over towards the winch parallel with the frame members.

Any thoughts?

rmgill

RE: more space

I thought about that, but I'd rather have a flat deck there that I can easily walk around on when servicing the engine. Some diamond plate that has antiskid paint on it that's also flush with the bumper would be ideal on either side. Jerry cans can be stored in a strap metal based hanger on the underside of the bed next to the fuel tank.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

how would you deal w/ the height difference between the top of bumper and the front edge of the fenders?

mangus580

Hmmm... does Devilman have a winch on his deuce? He would be a great front runner for this project! Funny thing is Ryan, i have been thinking about this very idea for some time on my deuce. I think that in my design, I will just go with padlock hasps, and use some mil-spec locks.

Joel, you bring up a good point. I suppose you might have to put some sort of 'filler' in there, or you could actually angle the box back and follow the fender up until you meet the height.

One could always trim the fender to match the top of the bumper, and fill the space with tool box.... (dont shoot me!)

m35a2cowner

ideas

How about building the boxes similar to the photo, and building a separate piece of decking (wood) similar to a squared U that when you wanted to service the truck the ends of the U sit on the fenders and a brace/support rests on the winch of cut-out in the bumper. Flush with fenders for service work and you keep the storage space for when your driving/using the truck.

Flatlander

How about installing the doors from the storage space under an M715 bed? Should be small enough to fit on the ends of the bumper rather than the top. Then you could keep your tools or chains dry, and dent a lid from standing on it. Then you could make a beefy standing surface... 2cents

rmgill

The other aspect for a larger top mounted door is it's easier to get things like those snatch blocks in and out. also easier to see what I'm looking at. As far as water goes, I can put a seal around the edge of the opening and get a good weather tight seal.

devilman96

I was out poking around at the idea this morning... A set of boxes are easy enough to do out of 14 ga which would not need a frame or any fancy mounting deal... Just bolting it to the back side of the bumper with a doubler plate in the box would be plenty strong enough for 100 - 150 lbs of storage and survive the shock of off road use. tying one into the frame with a spacer would really bullet proof it. Because of the odd shape of the hole beign filled, LH / RH and weather tight would make them pricy as hell because of the extra work needed in the lip areas but a "dry" type box should be a bout 200-250$ per side being a "one off" deal. If this seems high keep in mind that "production" (50+) usually cuts costs in half.

Economically speaking... A box under the bed would be a better idea, one box would give more storage space than both front bumper boxes, less concern with water / sealing, able to hold more weight. Small quantity production (10) should be in the $200 range with a powder coat finish and integrated lockable latches.

I do like the fuel can mounting idea shown in the pic above... Thats a nice addition for extra fuel / water can storage and economical to produce.

rmgill

Part of the idea is that it provides walking space AND has the chains and blocks up front where they're needed for rigging. Just a few feet less to walk, but when you're recovering having everything right there and being able to clean up, check each box at a glance and know the blocks and the chains (weld some loops for the hooks to hang on inside the box) are all accounted for). I have plans for even MORE boxes under the bed at a number of places. I've got a 5 ton tool chest stuck in the bed of the truck sliding forwards every time I stop the truck hard and that is full. Even then, I don't have enough space to store stuff as I still have a 20 ton bottle jack, 2 jack stands, some metal plates to set the jackstands on and a few other tools just rattling around in the bed.

I want LOTS of tools storage. But I want the tool lockers to look like the other tool boxes with similar locks and hasps.

rizzo

devilman96 said:
Because of the odd shape of the hole beign filled, LH / RH and weather tight would make them pricy as hell because of the extra work needed in the lip areas.
you could make a square box and make an angled mounting plate that would work on both sides. just flip it over for the other side. then the boxes would be the same too.

rmgill

I like the rack, but I'm thinking somewhere else would be preferable. I'm not sure where though. Perhaps inside the bed on a fold out mount or something. I do worry that I'll come back from inside a store and find one of the tools missing. I'm torn on dropping the Spare tire mount too in favor of a second fuel tank and a tool box above that as well. Perhaps a Jerry Can Storage location.

Another driving factor for non-in bed tool storage is that I want to get an S280 shelter and mount that. Eventually, also with a dump bed and a Winch (hydraulic) at the top of the bed so I can load and unload the shelter using a bridle under the shelter all by my 150 lb self. If the Shelter is mounted I can't have any tools or other kit in the bed then and that means I need to have it all under the bed on frame mounted boxes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks