• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint as a "Frame Paint"

VenomInjected

I notice guys are throwing the Behr paint which appears to be over "everything" body frame etc.

Looking to spray my frame soon... POR15 isn't worth it to me, nor is it really my cup of tee.

Anyone spray a semi-gloss Behr Black and use it for a chassis paint? (or flat for that matter).

Thoughts?

~M

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted my frame and everything else under truck with semi green.
It should work just clean the grease off really well.

VenomInjected

I painted my frame and everything else under truck with semi green.
It should work just clean the grease off really well.
I'm just thinking pressure wash the frame... wire brush it all.... and then Rustoleum Rusty primer it.

After a few weeks come back and top coat Behr Semi Gloss Black

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit old and maybe your done, but after some surface rust prep. I sprayed frame and cab with Behr, Love it and 7 months CAM01567.jpgCAM01724.jpg
it's holding up well, the rest of the truck we did with a brush!

infidel got me

Like Coffee said-- make sure frame is clean, purple power it several times/power wash it several times. Mine was not completely clean and paint didn't stick to well. I re-purple powered and repower washed it, re-painted, and not had any more problems.

VenomInjected

I think I'll wire brush up, clean, and rusty metal prime... then OD 24052 it is.....

I was really thinking black for the frame paint... but seems all the 35a2's ive seen are all just green.... everywhere

AZK9

I think I'll wire brush up, clean, and rusty metal prime... then OD 24052 it is.....

I was really thinking black for the frame paint... but seems all the 35a2's ive seen are all just green.... everywhere
I just finished painting my M35A2 today at sundown! The nice dry weather and warm temperatures allowed me to get it all completed
outside in a three day timespan. It's all covered, topside and under, in Behr (Fed Standard 383 CARC Green ) excluding the cab interior.

The prep work is the most important aspect of any paint job. Painting took only 3 days, but getting it ready to paint took me a little over
a month. I was lucky to have Soldier B (my awesome wife) around to lend a helping hand through all stages of the repainting process!

Make sure the surfaces are super clean and dry. Treat rust as necessary and be sure that temperatures and humidity are within the specs
required for the products you are using.

All that being said... be safe and have fun! [thumbzup]

AZK9

I sure hope your aren't leaving us hanging like this with no pics!!! :-D
I did not get a chance to take any pics today. At the moment it's raining on my new paint job!
Before the rain started, it was looking pretty good, but there was not enough daylight for photos.

I hope the rains don't mess up all my hard work. I've got no garage/shelter here to put it in/under. :-(

If the downpour does not ruin the finish, I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow in the sunshine. :cool:

AZK9

I sure hope your aren't leaving us hanging like this with no pics!!! :-D
I did not get a chance to take any pics today. At the moment it's raining on my new paint job!
Before the rain started, it was looking pretty good, but there was not enough daylight for photos.

I hope the rains don't mess up all my hard work. I've got no garage/shelter here to put it in/under. :-(

If the downpour does not ruin the finish, I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow in the sunshine. :cool:
AZK9-FreshPaint.jpg

Sorry it took so long to post this pic of my M35A2. There's been a lot of rain 'pounding the deuce' recently,
but the paint, for the most part, is still looking pretty good.

AZK9

AZK9- are you going to 3 color camo it or leave it 383. Either way, truck looks great! Good job.
Thanks!

At first I planned to do it 3 color camo, but since the weather has put a stop to my painting efforts... I've got to leave it 383 green for now.

Also... each day that I see it solid green, it has been growing on me. At this point I'm leaning towards 383.

When I get it out to the Central Highlands of Arizona (it's in NJ until late spring), I might change my mind! :wink:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you will see brush marks up close, but more than 25 ft away and they go away! Just use a good brush, not the 99 cents ones! But keep in mind brushing will be tight in some spots!

infidel got me

paint brush

Anyone brush this paint onto the frame? Curious if brush marks were present?
Member have stated that they have added floetrol - I think that's how its spelled-- when using a brush and it all but eliminates brush marks. I have not used this additive but others swear by it. Why don't you just spray it? :popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks