• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished painting the doors (Behr Ultra-Premium) on the GMV this weekend, then used my wife's vinyl printer/cutter to put all the applicable markings on the truck. I purposely used a different font (a stencil cut) for the unit markings, as if they were added after delivery. I marked the truck up as an A Company, 1st Bat, 5th SFG truck as I have a close friend who is retiring this year and was with ODA 511 during both the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, where they used GMV's extensively. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results.

View attachment 682425

View attachment 682427

View attachment 682430

View attachment 682432

View attachment 682434
Looks great!
Nice work.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear shelf and toolbox are aluminum, so don't weigh that much - I installed them myself without anything special to prop anything up. The shelf was fab'd, but not by me. They were done up by contractors at Letterkenny Arsenal. The tool box is a pretty standard box for the military.

The front bumper is steel and from Mil Systems Group (MSG) and are what replaced the aluminum Ibis Tek bumpers. It's a beast - I've heard it weighs about 250#, but I don't know if it weighs that much as I could move it around by myself.
Looks great. Good attention to detail.:goodjob:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. It looks very nice!

Have tou thought about painting the wheels as well? I know it's not standard military, but, I wonder what it would come out like?

I have seen tan 5-tons and deuce with matching wheels, and I think it looks sharp. Maybe if I can find a picture, I'll post it.

Good job. Makes me want to build a special bumper for my 5 ton!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2017-05-27 20.03.04.jpg2017-05-27 20.03.16.jpg2017-05-27 20.03.36.jpg2017-05-30 16.43.52.jpg2017-05-30 16.44.03.jpg

Did the M871 in tan as it was originally tan. The M915A1 went green as it was originally green. No they wont be paired together or else it would all be green. :razz: Now to give it a day before going back for the black markings.

P.S. This is why I've not been quick to update the "Tale of Two Tanks" thread. Busy busy.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 682737View attachment 682738View attachment 682739View attachment 682740View attachment 682741

Did the M871 in tan as it was originally tan. The M915A1 went green as it was originally green. No they wont be paired together or else it would all be green. :razz: Now to give it a day before going back for the black markings.

P.S. This is why I've not been quick to update the "Tale of Two Tanks" thread. Busy busy.
That's some fine paintin' there!

Even Rembrandt would admire your handwork.

Did you lay on your back like Michaelangelo to do the undercarriages???

:goodjob:

Lawdog734

I agree. It looks very nice!

Have tou thought about painting the wheels as well? I know it's not standard military, but, I wonder what it would come out like?

I have seen tan 5-tons and deuce with matching wheels, and I think it looks sharp. Maybe if I can find a picture, I'll post it.

Good job. Makes me want to build a special bumper for my 5 ton!

I've batted around the idea in the past of painting the wheels, just never do manage myself to get around to it. While I don't think it would necessarily be "correct", it would definitely look good.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One stupid question ... can any latex paint be used to paint military vehicles or does it just work? I can not find Behr in my country, just other brands of home paint...
i guess in that case, see if an auto paint company can mix some paint for you. Or buy a high quality rattle-can in a color close to your desired color. (Usually, the more expensive, the better it is ... or, the cheaper it is, the worse it is ... I don't know what country you are from and what is available)

Quality of paint varries from one manufacturer to the next. Behr works because it is a high quality paint.

Try using the best quality paint you can on a small part of the vehicle (like, paint the bumper black) and see what happens. (Of course, degrease it and prep properly) Give it well over a week as paint cures after it dries. Even Behr is soft to the "scratch" for a good while after its dry and waterproof.

Good luck.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you are in Brazil. Not sure what paints you have to work with, but in a big city like that, you should find some good options.

fkowalski1942

Here we have a great line of various types of paints, but the brand Behr is inexistent in my country, so i need to find a similar.

Behr is a latex or Acrylic paint? Some people here on SS wrote that Behr is a Latex paint, but on other threads i read that Behr is an Acrylic paint...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm using a satin enamel. But, it is a water based enamel. The flat, I don't know if it's latex.

I used an acrylic paint on my aluminum boat. Was pricey at $100/gallon, but good stuff.

Id just ask a paint expert what they recommend. That's their job, so, that's going to be your best bet.

hplacess

Here we have a great line of various types of paints, but the brand Behr is inexistent in my country, so i need to find a similar.

Behr is a latex or Acrylic paint? Some people here on SS wrote that Behr is a Latex paint, but on other threads i read that Behr is an Acrylic paint...

look here for details on behr:

http://newsroom.behr.com/facts/exterior-paints-232314

looks like they say the top ones used here at SS (Marqueee and Premium Plus Ultra) are acrylic. I used the Marquee and love it. posts 675 and 676 of this thread.

from what i have read, it is not just that it is an acrylic paint, it is the formula of the behr paint, and that it is a paint and primer in one.

hope that helps.

there are email addresses on that behr link, and other places on the behr site; I wonder if you send them an email if they can help you get some paint to where you are.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

There is nothing "magical" about Behr paint that I know of (proprietary formulas, or content, or any such thing).

It's likely a good quality of paint. This is a function of the paint composition: solvent vehicle, binder/ resin, and pigment.

But it's hardly the best paint on the market. Those are likely the industrial quality paints, like PPG and BASF.

But those last two won't have all the color combinations/ subtleties that serve the residential market.

Ina nutshell, any good quality paint you can find is likely as good as Behr.

Unless there IS something magical about BEHR paints that I don't know that somebody else does.

plym49

There is nothing "magical" about Behr paint that I know of (proprietary formulas, or content, or any such thing).

It's likely a good quality of paint. This is a function of the paint composition: solvent vehicle, binder/ resin, and pigment.

But it's hardly the best paint on the market. Those are likely the industrial quality paints, like PPG and BASF.

But those last two won't have all the color combinations/ subtleties that serve the residential market.

Ina nutshell, any good quality paint you can find is likely as good as Behr.

Unless there IS something magical about BEHR paints that I don't know that somebody else does.
I have been very happy with what I can find at Ace. Ace is many miles closer to me than a HD or Lowe's so I go there instead.

Another Ahab

I have been very happy with what I can find at Ace. Ace is many miles closer to me than a HD or Lowe's so I go there instead.
Right. I'm sure that Ace carries a good line of paint (might even be something labeled "Ace" and made for them by Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin-Moore, two good solid residential paint manufacturers).

And honestly, for my two bits, the BEHR sales angle that their paint is a combined primer/finish product sounds like a gimmick to me.

I don't buy it, but maybe it's possible (I've been out of the business for a while).

hplacess

I think I remember reading somewhere on the internet that there WAS a magical ingredient used in behr marquee exterior flat (the paint I used) and the ultra plus. Odd, I cannot seem to find that original link right now.... :wink:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/pixie_dust

perhaps this might explain why people like me have so much 'luck' and 'success' with behr on their vehicles here on SS. who can say.... ;)

Last edited:

tobyS

I've been trying different brands of exterior flat and none are as good as the Behr in the Ultra Premium Plus or Marquee. Personally I like a little Floetrol to slow it down. I bought the FS 37030 Black from Ace (yes Ace can mix to FS numbers) and can tell the difference, even on rough but sealed wood. Behr is "flatter" if such a thing is possible and does seem more durable.

Pixie dust.....hmmmmm, maybe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks