• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well about 10 days ago I sprayed my Jeep Wrangler with the CARC substitute Behr paint. I used floetrol to help spray it and used a HVLP gun. It came out great. It had about 2 days outside to dry then moved it the garage for 2 days due to rain. Then moved it back out for about another 4 days of decent no rain weather. Well on day 9 or 10 it rained for about an hr and now that everything is dry I have these ugly run marks on just the vertical surfaces. It isn't runs like sags as if the paint was sprayed to heavy or thinned from the rain and ran. It is more like what a vehicle looks like that doesn't have a good wax job and you let air dry after washing it and it shows where the water dried on the sides in long runs.

Anyone have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of it without repainting or is that it? How do I keep this from happening again?
My front bumper did this with the Sherwin Williams paint on it. Kept getting rained on and the marks are now gone. If you want it gone now, try soap and water, lots of it. I bet it will go away by itself.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto:Had the same happen on the M880 before I put the black and brown on. After a few rains all looked good.

Well it just rained again last night and now I have alot of bubbling. Will that go away also or will I now need to sand and repaint? I'm starting to get very sceptical about this Behr paint.

wsucougarx

Bubbling would indicate the paint was either applied too thick or it didn't have enough time to dry (no fault of the paint). Living here in the PNW, my trucks get dumped on all the time. I've had no bubbling of any kind because my paint was allowed to dry.

wsucougarx

The Behr paint does take a bit longer to dry than Gillespie paint. Being a water based paint, I would think allowing the paint to fully dry ought to help it. Though you may have bubbles, once the paint is allowed to dry it should take care of the bubbles....hopefully. But it all depends on how thick the paint is, what's under the surface (is the paint not sticking due to grease etc), and humidity/weather.

wsucougarx

To attest to how strong this paint is. I went to pull my truck out of the backyard a couple weeks ago. Well, I wasn't paying attention and cut the corner too sharp. Ended up scraping a 4x4 post down the entire length of the deuce bed. All to show for it, was a scratch. The paint wasn't gouged or flaked off.:)

I made sure to prep the body really well before painting. I sanded and wiped it down with wax and grease remover. It looked great when sprayed and I did 2 thin coats with a day between the 2. Well I guess only time will tell. Maybe i will clean the garage out and put it in there with some heat on it and see what goes. Not sure if all this work and time is worth the money saved from Gillespie or color matched from the body shop......

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the bubbling may be surface prep, something under the paint that it didn't like.

For example, I shot both my front bumper and the battery relocation box the same day with the same Sherwin Williams paint. The paint on the front bumper stayed outside and got rained on the next day. The paint on the battery box got three weeks to cure in my nice warm garage. The paint on the bumper cured up real hard and doesn't bubble. The paint on the battery box is bubbling and coming right off.

I think the problem is with the substrate. I didn't do anything to either piece except scuff them up a bit. I figure the battery box had some crap on the paint that should have been washed off with thinner first, and the bumper didn't.

I used to paint professionally and knew better but thought I would just see what happened.

I don't think the problem is with the paint. It just didn't adhere well to what was underneath.

What did you do to prep?

seabeeut

Iam painting mine and found that what ever black was used before is causing a furry textrue?
I washed down the truck with TSP and scuffed the rough spots but only the black area's are causing problems.
Other than that I am sold will post pics once I get the second coat on.

REDWOLF

Looks good guys i am sold on the Behr pait. Will hopefully be painting my M1009 green,black and tan camo befor aberdeen this year. I am thinking about brushing and rolling. Might use the wagner airless sprayer but we will see. Thanks [thumbzup]

Gunfreak25

As others have posted, the first time the paint gets wet it may "streak" which will wrench your stomach at first. However, after a few washdowns it does eventually go away as do the "soap bubbles". I must stress the importance of letting the paint dry 3 to 4 weeks before getting it wet. Scuffs clean up easy with a soft bristle nylon brush for flat paints.

The biggest issue with airless spraying is viscosity. I usually thin a bit beyond what the paint can suggest to get it to flow in the gun properly, with no ill effects.

Scrounge41

I used a piece of trim coil (thin piece of aluminum) about 8" x 24". Hold it where the rim meets the rubber and shift it around the rim as needed. I did mine while mounted on the truck, so it got the lug nuts and hub at the same time. Really fast and easy. Learned this trick here on SS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks