• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Lindsaym151

Ok finally help out on! Wash your truck (Power wash) Let dry(DRINK SOME BEER) Get a garden sprayer fill it with ospho (this stops all red rust in its tracks) let set(Drink more beer) till it turns white aprox 24 hrs.Wipe all white dust off .I personaly would use a High build primer/LATEX used to fill in defects in drywall,Let dry Finish coat to cover .You can renta sprayer at sherwin williams or any paint or rental shop.use a new 3-13 tip on your airless sprayer.With the airless you will get a much more even coat,If you live in my area tape them up get all the prep work done .I can spray them in about 20 mins. start to finish.I paint out backs for a living this is nothing!:doghead:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well here's my IDF M37 painted in Behr Sinai Grey. I have to say I'm not too impressed with the durability. The main body was painted back in Aug and you can sneeze on it and scratch it. If it doesn't cure any harder than this I'm going to have to find an alternate paint to try and put over top of it.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

After a year of working on and around the M211 which has 2 gallons of Behr on it I have just been downright astounded as to how durable it has been. It is tool proof, diesel proof and every other proof. It's been the most durable paint job i've ever done.

1.What did you apply the Behr over? It does best over primed or scuffed surfaces? Does exceptionally well over old oxadized enamel too.

2. How thick did you apply it? My gun put it on the thickness of a business card, maybe a little less. Thick enough to cover up deep 80 grit sanding scratches. Uses a lot more paint, but man does it hold up well.

The Behr does NOT fare so well when put on THIN. My truck took around 2 coats and went on textured, not smooth. It is flat as well, not semi gloss or anything of the sort.

I am so sold on Behr these day's I am using it on ALL exterior auto, tool and equipment related products. It has also been fade proof and made it all through our 118 summers here with no fading to speak of. Meanwhile some other parts that were painted with the Aervoe have already turned a chalk white.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1.What did you apply the Behr over? It does best over primed or scuffed surfaces? Does exceptionally well over old oxadized enamel too.
It went over a combination of grey primer and old paint. Everything was prepped with a DA down to 120 grit.

2. How thick did you apply it? My gun put it on the thickness of a business card, maybe a little less. Thick enough to cover up deep 80 grit sanding scratches. Uses a lot more paint, but man does it hold up well.
Several coats and they were applied with a hvlp gun. I'm planning on putting one final coat on once everything is back together to make sure there's an even appearance and to catch any spots that might be too thin.

The Behr does NOT fare so well when put on THIN. My truck took around 2 coats and went on textured, not smooth. It is flat as well, not semi gloss or anything of the sort.
So far we've used 2 gallons and part of a quart on a 3/4 ton truck so less surface than a deuce.

My only thought is that it's because the truck has been inside the entire time and maybe if we park it out in the sun after the last coat it'll hardent up.

paradeduty

HMTT using Behr paint

I have mentioned that we used Behr Paint in other threads on Steel Soldiers, but it seemed very applicable so I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth on here.

First off, I consider myself a novice painter at best. I am more comfortable with a brush or roller than a spray gun (I have a definite tendency to spray too heavy and make the paint run - a repeatedly proven fact). But, I figured that with Flat House Paint, I probably could not get any closer to something that I can maintain (chips, scratches) on a vehicle. I have numerous buddies that paint cars, but I hate bothering them with the smaller stuff (everybody is just as busy as I am these days).

Secondly, I was having the truck sand blasted anyways and the sandblaster was in charge of shooting the truck with epoxy primer, so I figured on just having him shoot the Behr paint as well since he was all set up. He wasn't too sure about the Flat Latex being used on a vehicle, but he was interested in seeing what would happen (as was I). Bottom line, I do not have any experience to offer as to how the paint went down. I was there and it looked pretty straight forward - but things usually do when you are watching someone else (and a professional at that) do it!

On to the results ----

Color -

Here I am pretty happy. I was ready to have a heart attack when, the day before the painter needed the paint, I found out that Home Depot had changed their paint mixing systems and the paint codes that I had all ready to go were of no use. Scramble, Scramble! Well, it was kind of a good thing since I ran across a post on here (SS to the rescue!) that mentioned that Home Depot has in their "system" the Federal Paint Codes. I found a cooperative associate who took the time to look up the codes and we were off to the races! We only used the basic green that is used under most camo jobs (this truck never would have seen a camo paint job as it was always a prototype built as a test bed for future ideas), but I had them check and the federal numbers were available for the tan, brown and black as well. We were very pleased with the results. We had it parked fairly close to a armored vehicle (a Scorpion? - can't remember) that the Guard brought to the show. I am no expert, but I could not tell any difference in color or any appreciable difference in finish.

Durability -

Here we will probably have to wait some. While replacing all of the "trim" pieces, the Behr held up very well. But I have not really "abused" the paint yet. There is one spot on the front bumper that was scratched off by the chains that were used to secure the truck on the RGN on the way to the show. But I was not really surprised as the paint was only at most 2 days old. And they loaded it at 4:30 in the morning, so the paint was probably pretty wet from dew. We havn't gotten around to painting the door markings back on - figured might as well wait and let the paint get good and dry so there is no "paint reactions".

Some pictures for consideration:

Dave

Attachments

RAYZER

Used the Bher paint and primer in one on my m146 trailer,i used a roller and brush to apply, it covered in most places with one coat and dried as hard as a rock within 30 min. The surface was warm when the paint was applied due to being in the sun.
The paint job turned out beautiful! I couldn't be happier with the results.
It only took 2.5 gal.

Attachments

Welder Sam

Im getting ready to paint my 4th (109 turned crewcab) and 5th (m200 turned tool trailer) mv in a year with behr. I dont see why anyone would go any other route. Unless its its just for the "prestige" of saying they used a high dollar paint that, from what ive seen, doesnt hold up anywhere near as long. Will be stripping the truck with a 36 grit 4.5" flap disk on an angle grinder. If you have the feel for these, you have nothing to worry about, other than the massive dust cloud. If you dont have the feel, you will likely mess up bigtime.

The only problems ive had is getting the straight paint to blow thru the wagner gun and getting the water mixed well enough to be consistant. Brush and roller works great

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought a large paint flake that peeled off my truck and had it color matched.
Very Happy with the results. I painted the bumpers, tailgate, bed sides and did some touch up work. No brush marks and easy to use. I just brushed it on and did a few touch up were my tailgate got scrapped and 6 months later matched perfectly to what I painted before.

I hope this helps,:)

Juan

Attachments

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Has anyone needed to thin their paint with water? (Behr states no more than 8 oz water per gallon)
2. How much paint is being used for an M1009?
3. Which sprayer has everyone been using?
4. What grit sandpaper are you guys using for prep? (wet or dry?)

Scrounge41

1. Has anyone needed to thin their paint with water? (Behr states no more than 8 oz water per gallon)
1. I would thin unless you are using an airless sprayer. Thin what you need to get the sprayer to spray an acceptable fan pattern. ie:not splattering and not running.
2. Not sure about that. Depends on your scheme. I did my m109a3 in 3 color camo and it took probably 3 gallons total. Topside only.
3. Search feature is your friend. I think acceptable results have been achieved no matter what delivery system was used. If I was shooting the under carriage I would use either airless or a pressure pot. I used an HVLP on mine, but there have been a lot of reports of good results with a $15. Harbor Freight gravity feed gun.
4. Mine had CARC paint that was tight so I just pressure washed it and painted it. The CARC has plenty of "tooth" for the latex to adhere to. If you have flaking or rust, I would grind it back, fill as needed and sand back with dry paper. These trucks never had a high end finish so wet paper would be a waste. Be sure and wear a respirator if you are sanding/grinding CARC. Bad stuff.

bshupe

My method is not for everyone but it is an option depending on what the end result you want is and the purpose of the truck etc.

1. I didn't thin
2. Im working on a 1031 and am in testing still so I dont have a final qty
3. I have been doing my testing with a foam roller and I like the results. It is not so textured that it really calls out to you like when people spray their rockers with bed liner but it does have a slight texture that I have found to be quite a tough finish holding up very well to trail scrapes from trees and bushes etc.
My truck had only some lite surface rust and it cleaned up quite well with a quick once over with a 220 grit sanding sponge. (I was trying to avoid going too deep or spreading CARC dust too far so I didnt use a power sander.)

palskidoo

Deuce Paint Job

Just finished my deuce using behr. Here are some before and after pictures.

I would like to ask you to go into more detail on what you did for prep and actual painting, if you don't mind. I have never painted like this before and would like to try it because my truck has seen better days. Did you use a wagner airless power painter? Did you thin out the paint at all? Did you use the Behr exterior paint? How much paint did you use? I don't mean to bombard you with questions your truck just came out perfect and that is the result im looking to get.

Thanks
-Pete

dangeroustyz

Wow! I work for The HomeDepot. I'm going to get with the behr rep and see if i can use my truck to demo their paint at my store.... Probably not tho. I dont even get a discount.:neutral:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks