• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sand/tan fake CARC at HD and Wally world

Originally Posted by Ferroequinologist
I know it has been asked several times, but no one has answered, what is the current desert tan/sand codes/mix?

Yeah I want to paint my M1028 tan, so if anyone has this available it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Will
The answer is at HD tell the paint guy you want Federal Standard #33446 that is in their computer same as 686/sand tan "CARC". I used Behr from HD on half and color place from Wally World on 1/2 both ext flat and so far can't tell the difference. If you get a slacker behind the counter that blows you off, tell him to get someone else. First time I tried this at the 3rd time was the charm, they get used to folks handing them a color card and punching in the numbers off the card and not having to use their brains and the puter.

Attachments

Last edited:

RAYZER

I tried using a house sprayer to spray a truck and found it applied too much paint, even with a smaller tip.
Switched to an automotive spray gun and thinned the paint by 10%,I find, a few thin coats works far better and cures out alot faster than when heavy coats are applied.
And of course, best results when a warm environment is present.

Welder Sam

I tried using a house sprayer to spray a truck and found it applied too much paint, even with a smaller tip.
Switched to an automotive spray gun and thinned the paint by 10%,I find, a few thin coats works far better and cures out alot faster than when heavy coats are applied.
And of course, best results when a warm environment is present.
Ive had pretty good luck with the wagner. I do prefer to thin it just a bit. From what ive done, in 100*+ temps, its just to thick to blow straight. I havent done it in under 90* temps but id think a sunny 80-85 degree day would be perfect. Wsucougarx has done very well with his behr. If you can keep it covered for a few days to alot of days, itll look better right off the bat. Itll be ok if you cant too. Everybody has to play with it to find their way. So... play with it! Its house paint, its not extremely difficult. :thumbup::beer:

bp m1009

this may be a dumb question but my buddy works at a body shop and we will be painting my 1009 there after hours and will probably spray it. my question is what do you use to thin the Behr with, reducer, thinner, or water? I already bought the paint a week ago so im just trying to have all the info ready to go.

RAYZER

this may be a dumb question but my buddy works at a body shop and we will be painting my 1009 there after hours and will probably spray it. my question is what do you use to thin the Behr with, reducer, thinner, or water? I already bought the paint a week ago so im just trying to have all the info ready to go.
Water.

Brenda

Anyone have the Behr code for the USMC 24052 simi gloss? Or even a paint chip I can take down to Home Depot to color match? Been looking all over the web for photo of just the color but found to many with with shine or other things.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anyone have the Behr code for the USMC 24052 simi gloss? Or even a paint chip I can take down to Home Depot to color match? Been looking all over the web for photo of just the color but found to many with with shine or other things.
The simple answer is 24052 is the federal standard code for the paint. Tell the paint guy you want federal standard 24052 exterior semi-gloss, it is in their computer. If he doesn't know how have him get someone else that does. FS24052

Kloakndagr

Ok guys, I just returned from the local Home Depot and went to the paint department spoke to three different workers in the paint department. I got the following information here last night from a SS member. He was requesting the desert tan paint codes for that color and was told to go to HD and request Federal Standard #33446 (686/Sand Tan). I went there to price and/or purchase some paint. No long all three people didn't have a clue in regard to the federal standard number or the 686 paint code. So....short of taking a paint sample to match does anyone have any more information as to which paint code I need to get the desert tan paint color. Also, what is the entire name of the paint you are buying that is branded by Behrs (ie. exterior, flat, ultra Behrs, $XX) thanks in advance. Also how much paint to do entire truck including military "camper" addition. Thanks.

JOECOOL48

Ok guys, I just returned from the local Home Depot and went to the paint department spoke to three different workers in the paint department. I got the following information here last night from a SS member. He was requesting the desert tan paint codes for that color and was told to go to HD and request Federal Standard #33446 (686/Sand Tan). I went there to price and/or purchase some paint. No long all three people didn't have a clue in regard to the federal standard number or the 686 paint code. So....short of taking a paint sample to match does anyone have any more information as to which paint code I need to get the desert tan paint color. Also, what is the entire name of the paint you are buying that is branded by Behrs (ie. exterior, flat, ultra Behrs, $XX) thanks in advance. Also how much paint to do entire truck including military "camper" addition. Thanks.
When I read your post, I said to myself "this guy went to the Cordele, GA Home Depot". then I see you are from CA not GA. and except I had 4 people that did not know. I even tried walking them through looking at competitor's paint and type in needed information. That was a wasted 80 mile round trip , that's the closest HD around these parts.

Kloakndagr

No Love

When I read your post, I said to myself "this guy went to the Cordele, GA Home Depot". then I see you are from CA not GA. and except I had 4 people that did not know. I even tried walking them through looking at competitor's paint and type in needed information. That was a wasted 80 mile round trip , that's the closest HD around these parts.
Mine was 50 miles, and they weren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I did get a good deal on a work radio, so the trip wasn't all that wasted.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
006.jpg

OK I don't still have a Behr can for the sand but I just got a gallon at Wally world and know for sure it is in their puter as I watched the guy look Federal Standard #33446 up. I got the "colorPlace" exterior flat, medium base their code B-42 1/2, C 2 Y-38, F-13. I used this brand several years ago on my M211 and it has held up great. It is the sand paint I just used on my shelter, pictures are a page back on this thread. It matched the MIL CARC on the shelter perfectly and $22 a gallon.

Last edited:

Kloakndagr

View attachment 419499

OK I don't still have a Behr can for the sand but I just got a gallon at Wally world and know for sure it is in their puter as I watched the guy look Federal Standard #33446 up. I got the "colorPlace" exterior flat, medium base their code B-42 1/2, C 2 Y-38, F-13. I used this brand several years ago on my M211 and it has held up great. It is the sand paint I just used on my shelter, pictures are a page back on this thread. It matched the MIL CARC on the shelter perfectly and $22 a gallon.

Excellent. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks