• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
mikey and I both went to HD today him in PA and me in KS and they (the FS codes) are no longer in their computer, they were in it last fall but now gone. We were both wanting 24087 semi gloss of 60's MV's. Came home and spent 45 Mins on the phone with Behr Tech assistance and they were no help either! They told me the best was to have it color matched and from past experience the flats to not match well. Thanks to bimbly on here we figured out how to get it done.

UP Date 4/12/15 Remember a lot of the older posts with Behr #'s on the lids are not true FS they were color matched, so start with a clean slate.
Tell the clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

Also sent an email to Behr Tech services asking about where the federal Std colors went, or if they could come up with new code from an older one and got this back as a replyaua

Hi David, we're sorry for the inconvenience. An alternative is to use our color matching technology by bringing in a chip or a sample and have it color matched to what you're looking for. Hope this helps
We have the formulas though... Many years ago before it all went computerized I worked in a paint store, as long as you have how much colorant, and the type of base it goes in i.e.: white medium, ultra deep etc. Anybody can plug the amounts in to the color machine and reproduce it. I am pretty sure the formula was posted on here.

Welder Sam

The HD computers don't communicate or draw from a common database. That means it's all hit and miss. Depends on what store had someone that cared enough to upload the codes for the fs paints..

Yarz

We have the formulas though... Many years ago before it all went computerized I worked in a paint store, as long as you have how much colorant, and the type of base it goes in i.e.: white medium, ultra deep etc. Anybody can plug the amounts in to the color machine and reproduce it. I am pretty sure the formula was posted on here.
Assuming the colorants and base strengths didn't change**, you are 100% correct, the formula can just be manually entered.

**Note that these things are very unlikely to change, especially without some big budget advertising to announce it.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
UP Date 4/12/15 Remember a lot of the older posts with Behr #'s on the lids are not true FS they were color matched, so start with a clean slate.
Tell the clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

Thanks to bimbly for doing the leg work.

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

I have a truck I need to paint in a year, so I'm doing a paint test on a rough M105a1. I did a little light sanding and primed it with a can of rustolium. I painted a section with Rapco and the other with Behr flat. Whenever I get around to painting the truck, I'll hopefully have an idea which paint brand I will use.

Attachments

tobyS

Cool !!! I've become a fan of tan with blacked out bottom. That looks like a very short boom. Am I missing something??...it looks like it does not rotate.

View attachment 561270M-578 in Behr Ultra 686 tan....truck behind it too.[/QUOTE

Okay...went to google images and I see how it works, with the crane pivoting over the top and behind. I've had rotation on my boomtruck and 51ft of reach and cannot imagine having to move the vehicle to position it. But it looks like a great ride and is an interesting piece of history. Have fun with it!

Last edited:

dawico

Another Ahab

That looks great. Mine is Baer 383 and black Rustoleum Camo spray paint.

View attachment 561347

View attachment 561352

I rolled the Baer on. I am somewhat set up to spray, but I don't have much experience with it.
Your roll-on job looks great.

The difference might show-up real close, but otherwise rolling has got to be a lot easier considering all the prep needed for spraying, and then all of the clean-up afterwards as well. From the camera distance, that's a right nice-looking paint job.

dawico

Your roll-on job looks great.

The difference might show-up real close, but otherwise rolling has got to be a lot easier considering all the prep needed for spraying, and then all of the clean-up afterwards as well. From the camera distance, that's a right nice-looking paint job.
The paint is somewhat self leveling, but it was too warm outside to allow it to do that on some areas. It just dried too fast. You really have to look close to see the rough spots but they are there.

Thank you. I am very happy with it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but otherwise rolling has got to be a lot easier considering all the prep needed for spraying

Actually, prep is almost non existent compared to other paint systems because you're using water/latex, not enamel or acrylic.. Don't even need a respirator.

Sand, wash, scuff, tape, then spray.

I've painted 3 rigs with Behr, and while it did take longer to prep than to shoot, it was still a lot quicker and covered better than rolling. Prep on M1009 and M1010 took about 2 hours total...

In addition, with spray, you get the feathered edges that are hard to get when rolling.

It may be an issue on some tall rigs though, heh.

Harbor Freight has a nice airless sprayer, that's usually on sale for $15.... I use it, then dispose of it.. It's cheap enough...

Thin the paint with water per the instructions, and you're good to go...

20140717_202507_zpseq555nkw.jpg20130323_181741_zps0b81356d.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll notice the air sprayer allows blending....

Camo patterns are designed to obfuscate sharp edges and straight lines....A perfectly tight line of color can easily ruin that.

I highlighted some areas, but if you look carefully, anywhere two colors meet, you'll see that it's blended.... fuzziness on edges is a good thing..

FB_IMG_14057819259005811_zpshoda0osp.jpg

tobyS

The paint is somewhat self leveling, but it was too warm outside to allow it to do that

That is why you use Flo-trol (with the water based paint) and stay out of direct sun.

TW, I didn't remember the Behr having instructions that say one can thin with water. It is really thick so spraying would seem to be an issue if it is not thinned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks