• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

RAYZER

Certain water based enamels are very durable and long lasting,easy to touch up,easy to get, easy to use and clean up.
All that is one big advantage.
As far as oil durability goes, most of the flat oils are one part (no hardner) and fade out in the sun after a couple of years.
At least that's been my experience.

joshuak

Behr, Premium Ultra Plus, Deep Forest Green. Paint gun from HF.

image.jpgimage.jpg

My technique needs work, but for my first go around I'm happy.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a cheap brush to paint one panel of my m1031 with premium plus ultra and one with marquee..

They're interior panels so it was a good spot to test..

Paint is drying..will update with pics for comparison..

Right off the bat...

Marquee lays down better, flows better, and covers a LOT more than the premium plus ultra... however it doesn't look as flat as the ultra.... same amount of paint and strokes and the marquee covers a ton... i also under painted and over painted to see how it'd react. Marquee also excelled in both areas... ultra liked to streak and not cover as well...

We will see when pics come out.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the quick/dirty Marquee Vs Ultra (NOT 4300) comparison...

Marquee laid down a lot flatter, and covered better. I intentionally used a crappy brush and pressed down hard in some areas, leaving LOTS of paint, and left others almost bare..

The Ultra shows this, quite a bit. Brush marks throughout, heavy drips/runs, and a pretty distinct spot just above the main latch mechanism..

The Marquee faired much better, smoothing out heavy brush strokes, and covering light spots much MUCH better.

Currently the Marquee is ~$46 per gallon, Vs $38 per gallon of the Ultra, and $32 per gallon for 4300

I did notice that it's not as flat as 4300, but still very acceptable, IMO.

First two were taken about an hour after painting....

The last two were taken about an hour ago... (about 5 days later)

The last picture is a direct comparison of the 2.

marquee2.jpgultra1.jpgmarquee1.jpgdirect1.jpg

The Marquee also seems to feel smoother, and water sheds off it quicker, kind've like a rainx effect...

tobyS

Did you use Flowtrol with either paint? From your description, that was about my experience using Ultra with Flowtrol vs the paint straight without it.

Shelby1962

Painted mine today with the Behr paint and it looks awesome. Couple hours of prep with a pressure washer, wire brushed the bed, rust converter and a quick sand of the panels. Used 2 1/2 gallons of paint with a cheap spray gun. Can't beat it for less than $100.00......just need to add a few decals and the bumper numbers.
amazing before and after, looks like a different truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Painted mine today with the Behr paint and it looks awesome. Couple hours of prep with a pressure washer, wire brushed the bed, rust converter and a quick sand of the panels. Used 2 1/2 gallons of paint with a cheap spray gun. Can't beat it for less than $100.00......just need to add a few decals and the bumper numbers.
Amazing transformation for a day's work; looks great..[thumbzup]

two.fiveM35

Looks great. Which base did use? Ultra or Marquee?

BigDawg41

WOW! You sure aren't wasting any time.It looks great! I will be out soon and you can paint mine too.Just kidding.I will be in touch to come and check it out and get some pointers on how to do mine.

hoplite666

Hey guys,
Painted my M1009 yesterday. Plan on doing another coat today. My spray gun was acting funky and put out way too much paint. Anyways, it's got a little too much of that spatter/speckled texture going on. Would you suggest I hit it with sandpaper before the next coat? What grit? Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks