• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

tobyS

Hey guys,
Painted my M1009 yesterday. Plan on doing another coat today. My spray gun was acting funky and put out way too much paint. Anyways, it's got a little too much of that spatter/speckled texture going on. Would you suggest I hit it with sandpaper before the next coat? What grit? Thanks!

Use the finest that will get it smooth.

Did you thin with a small amount of water or mix in Flotrol?

Here is a tip for sanding. Tear a sheet in half, then the halves into quarters and then into eights. Stack them up and use as a sanding pad that will fit your hand. A soon as one get loaded up, switch to the next.

I'm not sure I would wet sand relatively fresh water based paint...I just have the feeling it might not be good.

Let us know what you find (pictures always good) re sanding.

JoshHefnerX

I called Behr because the can says not to apply above 85Deg - which won't bill till October here in Phx. Person on the line said it would end up w/ a rougher texture if done in the heat because it would dry before having a chance to flow and lay out flat. So maybe add some water/flotrol and see if it helps.

tobyS

I called Behr because the can says not to apply above 85Deg - which won't bill till October here in Phx. Person on the line said it would end up w/ a rougher texture if done in the heat because it would dry before having a chance to flow and lay out flat. So maybe add some water/flotrol and see if it helps.
Keeping in mind your AZ climate, the Flotrol label says:

1. "Helps paint flow better"

2. "Allows paint to adjust to difficult weather conditions such as extreme hot or cold temperatures or high humidity(obviously not your problem)."

3. "Extends paints drying time"

And Yes, put a small portion of water in it since your spraying....go easy on the water and use a full measure of the Flotrol...and do it in shade.

I wouldn't leave it in direct sun if you don't have too, for a week or more. Have fun!

JoshHefnerX

Oh, the other thing I discussed w/ Behr, is if it dries too fast, it will not have proper adhesion time.

I did experiment w/ spraying it on a rack I'm putting on my truck, and it came out rough - I didn't mind though. I thinned significantly w/ water and it required more coats to get cover. But it is extra dry and hot in phx here.

Josh

Another Ahab

Oh, the other thing I discussed w/ Behr, is if it dries too fast, it will not have proper adhesion time.

I did experiment w/ spraying it on a rack I'm putting on my truck, and it came out rough - I didn't mind though. I thinned significantly w/ water and it required more coats to get cover. But it is extra dry and hot in phx here.

Josh
The mercury now in most of AZ is pushing 100F isn't it!? If you're lucky and it's hot enough, maybe that paint will bake on, as an enamel. :)

tobyS

I don't know why, but it reminds me of concrete curing...too fast and it has much less strength.

Andercomm

Flotrol

Has anyone come up with a recommended mix ratio for Flotrol to Behr Latex paint yet based upon actual painting of military vehicles...?

Thanks!:roll:

Keeping in mind your AZ climate, the Flotrol label says:

1. "Helps paint flow better"

2. "Allows paint to adjust to difficult weather conditions such as extreme hot or cold temperatures or high humidity(obviously not your problem)."

3. "Extends paints drying time"

And Yes, put a small portion of water in it since your spraying....go easy on the water and use a full measure of the Flotrol...and do it in shade.

I wouldn't leave it in direct sun if you don't have too, for a week or more. Have fun!

tobyS

It's on the label. For extreme heat add in up to 16 ounces per gallon. It says with airless sprayer or paint cup, add in up to 32 ounces/gal..

I'd go for a (small) bit of water rather than that much for spraying. I brush/roller apply mine (using 16 oz) and most marks disappear, so can't speak directly to spraying (other than it's a bit thick, even with Flotrol). I have been cautioned about too much water causing a problem in curing, but can't remember the source.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut it 50% and painted in hot sun where it was dry to touch in 5 min. Have had zero problems with cure and truck looks dang good.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Painted today

I painted about half of my M923 today. Got the cab, some interior and other parts. Didn't get to the bed or the underside yet. Hopefully soon. Didn't cut it with anything, used it straight up. Was a little thick though.

Attachments

godawgsdv8

This is a pic of mine I painted with Behr about a year ago. I drive it and use it a lot; Mud, dirt, and scraped up and down with trees and paint still holds up great.
IMG_20150522_150658180_HDR.jpg

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Thanks Ahab, hope painting underneath goes as smoothly. Lots of parts under there. Will probably use the airless sprayer and thin the paint.

shepherm

Has anyone come up with a recommended mix ratio for Flotrol to Behr Latex paint yet based upon actual painting of military vehicles...?

Thanks!:roll:
I painted my truck a couple weeks ago with the following:
1 gal Behr marquee paint
1 bottle flotrol
12 oz of water

Paint color is 383 Green (FSS 34094)

I was spraying with the harbor freight HVLP turbine paint system and used about half the paint. Next time I will probably add more water. It looked very rough when I was spraying it but smoothed out to a pretty good finish.

m1008.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks