• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

SgtHaas

I painted my truck a couple weeks ago with the following:
1 gal Behr marquee paint
1 bottle flotrol
12 oz of water

I was spraying with the harbor freight HVLP turbine paint system and used about half the paint. Next time I will probably add more water. It looked very rough when I was spraying it but smoothed out to a pretty good finish.

View attachment 574482
What color did you use, if you have a picture of the color code ? Getting ready to paint my 09 in a few weeks.

shepherm

What color did you use, if you have a picture of the color code ? Getting ready to paint my 09 in a few weeks.

383 Green
Fed Std# 34094

All I did was ask the guy at home depot to check the system for paint color 34094. After looking at me like I was crazy, he typed it in and it showed up as FSS 34094.

Last edited:

hoplite666

Use the finest that will get it smooth.

Did you thin.with a small amount of water or mix in Flotrol?

Here is a tip for sanding. Tear a sheet in half, then the halves into quarters and then into eights. Stack them up and use as a sanding pad that will fit your hand. A soon as one get loaded up, switch to the next.

I'm not sure I would wet sand relatively fresh water based paint...I just have the feeling it might not be good.

Let us know what you find (pictures always good) re sanding.
I did not thin.
My Wagner flexio 570 can spray unthinned latex, no problem.
I suppose thinning will give me thinner coats in general though.. still need to sand it all down and go at it again. I'll never get it perfectly smooth though. The military did a great job of putting gobbs of carc on with brushes before I got it. So I'm working with an uneven ugly surface to begin with. I did all the prep and sanding I have patience for but without a DA sander and easy access to an air compressor I couldn't make it is smooth as I wanted to. Perhaps I'll pick up an electric DA sander if the price is right and some fine grit sanding discs, hit it with that, then topcoat with a water thinned application of the Behr.
IMAG0583.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

I did not thin.
My Wagner flexio 570 can spray unthinned latex, no problem.
I suppose thinning will give me thinner coats in general though.. still need to sand it all down and go at it again. I'll never get it perfectly smooth though. The military did a great job of putting gobbs of carc on with brushes before I got it. So I'm working with an uneven ugly surface to begin with. I did all the prep and sanding I have patience for but without a DA sander and easy access to an air compressor I couldn't make it is smooth as I wanted to. Perhaps I'll pick up an electric DA sander if the price is right and some fine grit sanding discs, hit it with that, then topcoat with a water thinned application of the Behr.
View attachment 575223

I would limit my water to just enough for the desired spray thickness and use Floetrol (I'm beginning to sound like a salesman for the stuff...sorry). Rapid drying is your enemy and water can evaporate very fast, especially thin coats. Retard the drying some and it will flow into the rough spots better.

Yea, air tools or electric on the rough spots if you have to. Sounds like you have the right spray tool.

The truck looks good. Be glad it's not a cargo with 10x the surface.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Y'all

Well last weekend I touched up a few nicks here and there and went to a local Car show! Won, 3rd Place in the Special Vehicle category! Not bad for a car show! Huge draw for the ole military folks and kids!
20150823_154255[1].jpg

Opie

Behr is on sale at Home Depot this weekend for those ready to pull the (paint gun) trigger:

$10 off one-gallon cans and $40 off five-gallon buckets with the purchase of Interior and Exterior Paints and Stains between 9/3/2015-9/7/2015.

SturmTyger380

Yep picked up three cans. Not an instant discount but a online / mail in rebate. Takes awhile but you will get a prepaid card in the mail.

Another Ahab

Yep picked up three cans. Not an instant discount but a online / mail in rebate. Takes awhile but you will get a prepaid card in the mail.
It's cash either way you look at it.

I get my copier paper at Staples, and there's usually always a rebate:

- $7 ream of paper ends up costing you about a buck, and you get a check in the mail about ten days later for $5 and change.

Works for me. The paint will work too as long as you don't crave the Instant Gratification. ;-)

auctionaddict

Thank you sir !! Lots of time spent on details. Believe it or not, Its done with roller and brush !! Medium roller leaves good CARC like texture and "dabbing" with the brush leaves no brush marks around the edges.. :p

OTE=Another Ahab;1763332]The details are sharp, and the edges all clean; that's looking mighty good. [thumbzup][/QUOTE]

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, either I can't follow basic instructions or my Home Depot is FUBAR.

I went in today with the "Masster MERDC-DUALTEX" book with the FS codes in the front to get my MERDC paint.

"Search FS 34079" No result

"Search 34079" No result

"Search Competitor 34079", can't search competitor

"Find FSS and Search 34079" No result.

What'd I do wrong?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you make sure they used 34079 as the name to search on?

And look at the screen. I've had them tell me "no hits" which when I looked at the screen meant "No hits, but some FSC thing I don't understand"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks