• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Lawdog734

You do realize that its house paint right? I don't think too many people put their houses inside a garage when its done being painted.
Thank you for the insightful comment. I've also read several times throughout this thread of where people had issues with soft paint, or paint running if rained on, etc before curing. It's a question worth asking.

TobyS - 33446, the paint code on the can is 695613179396.

Another Ahab

If you get the product literature, typically, the manufacturer will lay out EVERYTHING you need to know regarding properties, curing, etc.

Sometimes you can actually telephone the manufacturer and talk to a product expert who will answer all your questions directly.

JoshHefnerX

If you get the product literature, typically, the manufacturer will lay out EVERYTHING you need to know regarding properties, curing, etc.

Sometimes you can actually telephone the manufacturer and talk to a product expert who will answer all your questions directly.
I actually did call Behr with a question and they picked up the phone and answered it surprisingly.

plym49

I was just as skeptical. I tried it - years now - and dagnab it if it does not actually work quite well just as everyone says it does..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted mine, and it rained that night.

I noticed streaks in the paint...... but no discolored water or anything on/around the truck.... but about a week later the streaks were gone and it looked fine....

two.fiveM35

Has anyone ever used the Northern Tools HVLP gun with the 2.3 mm noozle? I have always used the HF el cheapo gun with the 1.4mm (I think) noozle with straight Behr with good results. I have always wondered if I had a bigger noozle, could I lay it down thicker?

SturmTyger380

Great info at that link. Looking at that, the HVLP gun with the 2.3 mm nozzle might be too big.

I would think that the Behr paint would have more of a tendency to create a run rather than orange peel?

tobyS

Great info at that link. Looking at that, the HVLP gun with the 2.3 mm nozzle might be too big.

I would think that the Behr paint would have more of a tendency to create a run rather than orange peel?
Especially if thinned. Flowtrol wouldn't make a lot of difference but I bet water would.

I have some really fine sand that I've used with some that might go through the larger nozzle.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are folks using on top of the Behr paint to add stars, hood numbers etc? I have several cans of Rapco white paint but was concerned with spraying on top of a water based paint.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are folks using on top of the Behr paint to add stars, hood numbers etc? I have several cans of Rapco white paint but was concerned with spraying on top of a water based paint.
Krylon Fusion camo.

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-paint-made-with-fusion-for-plastic-technology/

The Krylon Fusion stuff is supposed to stick to 'anything' , and so far, it has. It has a primer or something built in and sticks to just about anything. I usually don't even do any prep other than wiping the area off and it sticks.

I've painted cloth, plastic, even guns, and it sticks with minimal or no prep. It's the only spray paint I trust on ANY of my rigs.... for touch ups and stenciling.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't think it would be an issue, but, if you are concerned you can always use Behr! Once dried, I'm sure anything will stick to it. Especially with the texture of Carc underneath or even the rough texture of a sprayed Behr job.

Rusteoleum, Kilz, Krylon, I'm sure you won't have an issue with any paint.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did one complete truck, and just finished a M101A2 that I was going to sell, but now I am not so sure! It looks incredible and the tires were brand new when I got it. Still had whiskers on center lugs.

It has a hard metal top and lockable back doors. It would make a great adventure trailer. Still toying with that idea as well. What to do, what to do?

Attachments

Last edited:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three years now and people say it looks new! 20160929_171032.jpg
Of course we always have to explain it's not Desert, it's MASSTERS from 1974!

We used Krylon over the Bear, never and issue!

Another Ahab

I'm rusty on my paint skills; but the way I remember it, oil floats on water:

- So you can apply an alkyd or oil-based paint over an older latex paint surface.

- But applying latex paint over older oil-based paint surfaces is inviting trouble.

I have absolutely no credentials to back this up, other than my first summer job out of high school was starting a residential painting business with two other buddies of mine. :roll::mrgreen:

tobyS

Would there be a problem with just getting the sample size Behr U.P.? They seem to have the wide range of colors that are in the Federal Specifications (by mixing it) so you may be able to be really period correct. I bet there are 10-20 shades of white.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks