• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Believed Tire Problems

wyorunner

Let me start with an apology if this question has already been answered. I have searched for out of round, tire problems, death wobble, o-rings, and much more pertaining to the tires with nothing coming up to answer my problem.

We own an 91 M925A2, since purchasing it, it has had a wicked bounce more than a wobble. On the highway it comes and goes. The tires seem to get in sync and bounce the truck violently. I believe it to be due to flat spots from the tires sitting without air during the life on the truck. I know it could be a number of things, one of which is unbalanced tires. I have to pull one tire to replace to o-ring between the two rim pieces in order to stop it from draining itself every 5 or so days, while in there I was thinking about adding some balancing beads. The questions I am looking for answers for, is should I replace the tires, is there anywhere I could have them shaved, and how does one go about balancing the tires. I live north of Atlanta, if anyone could point me a direction that could help I would much appreciate it. The truck will most likely be taking a cross country journey in may and I would like it to be as easy as possible, and this is one problem that need eliminating. Thanks in advance.

Turner

Goodyears? Seems every truck I have owned with the goodyears rides like crap. If you know a tire has set flat I would definitely make sure it was on the rear.

If you are going to be doing a long trip I would suggest getting new tires. Michelin XZL's are the best road tire out there for these trucks (IMO)

wyorunner

I only know one tire for sure sat flat, but only assume that the rest have as well. It has some goodyears and some Michelin XZLs. I would like to replace with a full set of 1600 XZLs. Any good recommendations on locations to obtain tires? Would replacing the tires reduce or remove the bounce? I believe that it would help greatly but would love to know for sure before spending the money. Anybody have a set or even four XZLs they are looking to part with?

SLOrazorsedge

Mixing Goodyears and Michelin XZLs may be your problem on the harmonic balance of the truck. They are a totally different tread designs. Also the Goodyears have rounded lug shoulders whereas the Michelins have an aggressive flat face with sharp edges. I have trucks with both brands of tires, I'm with CBR, Michelin XZLs are the best tire out there for our trucks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M923A1 with Goodyear's and it rides good and I have a M932A2 with Michelin XZL's and I think it may ride a little better.
What was said about tires siting flat, I would for sure change them.

wyorunner

Have you taken the truck to a big rig tire shop and had it checked out?

If you decide to replace them and no one else closer chimes in you can check out http://local.yahoo.com/info-14824534-gensco-aircraft-tire-anniston

They use to have a big selection of military tires, some mounted and ready to go.
I have not taken it to a big rid tire shop yet, I think I will end up doing that before I head out. I may also just replace all the tires with XZLs, and put balancing media of some kind in when I do the re-install. I also think I may take it over to Clinto, and have him give it a thorough inspection if he is still working on MV's part time, and works on 939 series trucks. Yes I can and am able to due general mechanicing on the rig, but a better trained eye would be comforting. By the time we drive cross country I will have gone through most things, changed all fluids and filters, and hopefully new tires and balancing media in them. It's a big list with a short time to complete.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You asked about 1600s...is that the size you have, or are they the 14.00s it came with? Since you are taking one of them apart, check for oil in the tire (a common symptom of the A2). If there is enough sloshing around, it will cause intermittent wobble.

wyorunner

You asked about 1600s...is that the size you have, or are they the 14.00s it came with? Since you are taking one of them apart, check for oil in the tire (a common symptom of the A2). If there is enough sloshing around, it will cause intermittent wobble.
I am learning all kinds of things. It does have 1400s on it and I am going to go to 1600s if I can get them for a reasonable price. I think I will also cap off the CTIS when replacing tires.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am learning all kinds of things. It does have 1400s on it and I am going to go to 1600s if I can get them for a reasonable price. I think I will also cap off the CTIS when replacing tires.
IMO the 1600's will be harder to balance than 1400's. The 1600's will need 20 ozs. of beads. to get to the some point as the 1400's with out beads. Just my 2 cents.

162tcat

I run 16.00r20 XZL's on my 923 and they are a far more superior tire than the 11.00R20 goodyear G177's they replaced.

No balance beads, weights or anything else, they run just fine.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Turner, we met at GA Rally I believe, glad to see you got your truck as you wanted. I have the same mismatched tire bounce on my 923A2, so will be interested to see how this plays out.

wyorunner

Hi Turner, we met at GA Rally I believe, glad to see you got your truck as you wanted. I have the same mismatched tire bounce on my 923A2, so will be interested to see how this plays out.
It's looking like I am just going to purchase new tires, to play it safe with a cross country journey. There is a possibility we met, but uncertain as I am new to this community and met tons of people, so please forgive me if I do not recall meeting you, as I feel it to be very rude on my part.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
vintage iron just put 16's on his m923 recently and he has sold tires and rims in the past in the classifieds. You might want to pm Matt and get the low down from him.

Jeepsinker

Yea, disconnect the ctis crap so it doesn't get you killed. I think I may have one truck that it actually works on out of 25 trucks with it. The rest just let the tires go flat as you drive. Good way to get a blowout.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks