• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt driven turbo/ supercharger

mrgreentrux

Sounds like a great idea, but you would have to remove an alt. and make room for a 1 1/2 inch wide belt in front of the belts you already have. Turbo's "spool" quicker on diesel's than superchargers do. A 6.5's turbo would work good, if you can find a used banks, much better. they produce twice the power that a 6.5's turbo does. Once again you have to move things around. Like batteries

Skinny

I think the 6.2 falls into the category of turd polishing as well. In stock form, it os adequate for what it is and what it does. When you want more from it, it takes exponentially more dollars than what you get out of it. By the time you tweak it, you could have just started with something better. Happens all the time with drivetrain parts. Guys build parts because that is what the truck came with. What they should have done is not expect more out of the part.

If you want better fuel economy and more horsepower, start with a 4BT and stick an overdrive trans behind it. The 4BT accepts tuning more due to being turbocharged stock, is easier to service being an inline engine, and is smaller in displacement which lowers fuel consumption (unless you feed it the coal). That and adding a 700R4, 4L80E, or NV4500 will give you the best of both worlds without much modding than dumping money into a 6.2

colt45727

Call the guy at diesel depot in GA. He put a couple roots styles chargers on the 6.2s in the humvees. I think he got 9 psi safely. He did say to put headstuds, gaskets and someting else but I dont remember.

wayne pick

belt driven turbo/supercharger

Hea skinny, There is no way a 4BT@130HP is going out perform a banks turbocharged 6.2@195+HP. My 6.2 Banks/700r4 does everything I expect it to do. At highway speeds I'll stay with any stock Ford or Dodge diesel pickup. That 4BT/700r4 conversion is a $1000 for the adapter plate plus $250 for motor mounts and whatever for a torque converter. Whats the advantage? The 6BT is another story. I am so tired of guys complaining about how the 6.2 is a dog or it's a turd. If you dont like it put that 6Bt in it or stuff a 6V92 or a gas 502 or a 572 in it. The na ford 6.9 of the same year wasn't exactly a neck snapping engine either.

Skinny

Hea skinny, There is no way a 4BT@130HP is going out perform a banks turbocharged 6.2@195+HP. My 6.2 Banks/700r4 does everything I expect it to do. At highway speeds I'll stay with any stock Ford or Dodge diesel pickup. That 4BT/700r4 conversion is a $1000 for the adapter plate plus $250 for motor mounts and whatever for a torque converter. Whats the advantage? The 6BT is another story. I am so tired of guys complaining about how the 6.2 is a dog or it's a turd. If you dont like it put that 6Bt in it or stuff a 6V92 or a gas 502 or a 572 in it. The na ford 6.9 of the same year wasn't exactly a neck snapping engine either.
130HP stock but some tweaks to the IP, waste gate, and adding an intercooler brings up higher for cheap coin compaired to modding a 6.2

That isn't even touching the turbo, injectors, etc. Just my opinion but I would be up for just a straight up 4BT or Isuzu swap before trying to do any serious 6.2 diesel mods.

wayne pick

"or stuff a 6V92 or a gas 502 or a 572 in it."
Wayne, do you have any idea how large a 6v92 is?
Yea, I know exactly how big they are. I've been operating heavy equipment for almost 30yrs, and have run them in equipment and a few boats along the way. I was just kidding of course and was just trying to show how ridiculous it's gotten with guys trying to make these old trucks perform like the modern day diesel pickups on the market. Ain't going to happen. Diesel Depot will build a real nice 6.2 for ya depending on how much you want to spend. Guys put Banks turbos on their trucks witthout an overdrive trans and end up with the fastest 0 to 55 mph CUCV made. They run em pinned on the governor most of the time and call them junk motors when they blow up. Fooling arround with turbos and blowers not designed for the 6.2 is risky at best. The Isuzu 4 and 6cyl engines are designed to accept GM transmissons and would be my choice if I were to swap but i'd be prone to get that HP Diesel Depot motor. BTW, love the Pocono's. We go out I84 to 209 through park and hit the flea market at Marshall's Creek, a little less than 2hrs from my house, then hit the Depot for lunch at East Stroudsburg.:) Wayne.

wayne pick

I stand corrected,:oops:Wow, I just searched two GM diesel sites im a member of and was shocked at the reviews/comments about Diesel Depot. Their website "looked" like they were squared away with all the rebuilding options they offered. Complaints included, no return phone calls, "lost" certified checks and shoddy workmanship of not only 6.2s but cummins rebuilds as well. When I was searching for a truck back in September a guy on the west coast had a truck that had one of their ceramic coated soup to nuts rebuilds in it and he raved about it. Anyway he wanted 8K for the truck. He sent me photos of it. It was insulting. It was a cobbled up rat. Guess he was trying to recoup all the money he spent on the motor. Sorry for the bad info, I would never want to steer anyone the wrong way. Wayne.

engineman2

I have heard better things about SS Diesel Supply. They specialize in the 6.5, but I've asked them some tech questions on the 6.2 before and they're pretty knowledgeable about them as well. I'd shoot them an email and ask if they are aware of any supercharger options and any issues with adding one.

chevyCUCV

Kennedy diesel, Heath diesel and Peninsular are the best bet IMO

I just dont want people to waste money on these trucks, as they are cheap and aftermarket stuff gets expensive fast. Spend your money wisely

colt45727

Didnt know they (diesel depot) had bad reviews... my bad. I would have said heath diesel but i dont know if they ever did anything with the superchargers.

Heath would be the first place to go for 6.2 and 6.5 imo.

I only suggested diesel depot because of a engine build they did for a supercharged 6.2 in a hmmwv. The guys said it worked great.... but now i guess their rep has gone to $hit, I would avoid them, once again my bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks