• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt routing diagram (weak google-fu)

riderdan

My NA 6.5 broke down on the way home, and I have now new belts in hand. However, the nifty diagram I saved off the Internet seems to have disappeared, and the TM drawing I have isn't as clear as I'd like. A search using Google and/or the forum didn't return what I was hoping for.

Somewhere there's a simplified diagram showing a front-on view of just the pulleys and the routing of the two sets of belts...

Help!

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Your setup is the two pairs of V-belts-total of 4 belts, correct? If that's the case, the routing really should be very straight-forward. The short pair goes around the crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, and power steering pulley. The longer belts goes around everything. Should be possible if you have all the adjustment points loose. Might still have to try to stretch the belts over the pulleys-I had to "shift" them from groove to groove, like a bicycle chain.

Make sure you tension the power steering pump first, then tension the alternator.

Last edited:

riderdan

Your setup is the two pairs of V-belts-total of 4 belts, correct? If that's the case, the routing really should be very straight-forward. The short pair goes around the crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, and power steering pulley. The longer belts goes around everything. Should be possible if you have all the adjustment points loose. Might still have to try to stretch the belts over the pulleys-I had to "shift" them from groove to groove, like a bicycle chain.
Make sure you tension the power steering pump first, then tension the alternator.
Yes, four belts total, two of two different lengths.

Thanks for the help, that's clear enough to get started. I'm hoping to tackle this tonight.

Wire Fox

Yup, that's the setup I describe. Go here and grab the -20-2 maintenance manual: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series

In the engine maintenance section, there's a topic that discusses adjustment of the power steering belts, followed by a section to discuss adjustment of the alternator belts. Be sure to follow those guidelines so you have all the appropriate torque & tension specs.

riderdan

I'll just stick this on here, instead of starting a new thread...

I followed the directions in the TM and am now at the point where the power steering pump bolts are loose. However, I can't move it at all. I put a breaker bar in the 1/2 square hole and got zero movement, even though I've loosened the bolts enough that I can turn them by hand. The bolt through the adjustment slot is near the center, so I'd think I could make it go one way or the other, but nothing.

Advice?

riderdan

Hmmm... just stuck REALLY hard. Now that I've got the belts on and tight, I'm wondering how I'm going to get that fitting back into the fan. Also, since I lost about 1 tablespoon of power steering fluid out of the fan hose, do I need to do anything to get the air out?

Wire Fox

Hmmm... just stuck REALLY hard. Now that I've got the belts on and tight, I'm wondering how I'm going to get that fitting back into the fan. Also, since I lost about 1 tablespoon of power steering fluid out of the fan hose, do I need to do anything to get the air out?
Power steering bleed is in the manual, too. To summarize it, do the following:

Remove power steering cap, fill reservoir to full via the cap dipstick markings (cold mark if engine is cold), LEAVE CAP OFF.

Apply handbrake and chock a rear wheel on both sides. Raise the front of the vehicle so that both front wheels are off the ground and able to turn from side to side.

Start engine. Turn steering wheel to full lock left and hold for several seconds. Turn steering wheel to full lock right and hold for several seconds. Repeat this full lock turn procedure about 50 times (no joke!). Make periodic distant visual observations to ensure power steering reservoir is not empty. Do not reach toward this with the engine running, as the belts will cost you your fingers. Stop the engine if you need to add fluid, then restart and continue.

If fluid is continuing to come up looking bubbly or milky, you have somewhere that air is coming into the system. You will need to find and address this leak. Loose or cracked hoses are the most likely culprit, but it can be the cooler, fan clutch, fan clutch valve, or power steering rack.

riderdan

Thanks, I found it eventually. I vaguely remember the TM's from when I was in the service (I spent some time as a unit armorer when stationed in Italy) but I'd forgotten how annoying it can be to look for "Steering, power. Bleeding process. 4.3.56.2 sub-paragraph B"

Thank goodness for searchable PDFs. Hopefully I can get it up on ramps this morning and get the truck back on the road.

I appreciate the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks