• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bench testing a 200 amp alternator

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it to an auto parts store that has a alternator tester. Make sure you know how the alternator and regulator needs to be connected to turn on the alternator. If the regulator needs a special plug, you may have to supply it or have an alternative way to connect it.

You can call first to make sure they can test 24 volt alternators.

mechanicjim

if it is a Niehoff model they have a list of distributors on the right side of their website. there appears to be two in Ohio you could call them and see if they can test them.

MAXJEEP

Their is a specialty shop in town that could test it but they are only open when I work. I stopped buy an O’Reillys my shop deals with and dropped it off they were able to spin it up but no voltage. Can some one give me detailed instructions on where to hook the 24 volts to and where to check output. I would assume I ground the case. Apply +24 volts to the large square red bolt on the side of the case. Then what?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The large lug would be the output, the trigger should be small. We have no clue what you've got till you post pics.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
On the regulator. Front terminal. Marked 24v. Needs around 24v at that terminal when spinning to excite the alternator or it will just spin and not make any power.

MAXJEEP

so Let me get this straight I ground the cas put 24 volts to the post on the regulator marked a/c? IGN? Or 14? Spin it up and I will get voltage out of the big red post on the side?
It’s a 200 amp dual voltage Nehof alternator

NormB

THIS should help some. Not wiring harness numbers. There is a sheet of standardized circuit/wiring numbers available I can't find on my computer right off hand. May be in the manuals/uploads section, but the military vehicle wiring diagrams are numbered, these relate to power/connection. Good to have. I have a printed copy somewhere if all else fails, but it'd be a royal PITA to copy/paste/upload.

someone else want to throw this guy a bone?

IMG_4614.jpgIMG_4615.jpg

mechanicjim

what you have is a N1225 alternator, here is a link to the installation instructions and troubleshooting guide in the troubleshooting guide you will find a wiring diagram as if it was in a vehicle simulate this with a set of batteries, and jump the IGN terminal with 24v and spin the alternator, you can also follow the instructions as if it was on a truck to see if Diodes/field coil, B+/B- circuits are good inside the unit.
http://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/II225A_uid6920141104561.pdf
http://www.ceniehoff.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/TG0017B_uid882013200562.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks