• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bent drive shafts on CUCV's in Barstow

Mike_Kendall

Hello, I keep on seeing alot of CUCV's on GL in Barstow that all have bent driveshafts. Currently, there is M1008 and M1028 all with 100 percent of them having bent drive shafts. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Mike

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1028 was that way. I replaced the rear output with the old stile short tailshaft. It's a NP205. And had a new shaft with a stub and slipyoke made for it. All together i spent $400. But you could just replace the shaft for $250.

Shop Rat Fab

Here my take on it, GL plays a game with trucks its called forklift hockey, the goal is to move as many trucks as possible in the least amount of time, bend as many d/shafts as possible. For bonus points one has to see if one can do it without smashing in the door or quarter panel of the truck. Major subtraction in points if the door gets smashed in and the GL empyoee then bends the front fender and door when they open the door after they smash it in just to see if the door works or NOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here my take on it, GL plays a game with trucks its called forklift hockey, the goal is to move as many trucks as possible in the least amount of time, bend as many d/shafts as possible. For bonus points one has to see if one can do it without smashing in the door or quarter panel of the truck. Major subtraction in points if the door gets smashed in and the GL empyoee then bends the front fender and door when they open the door after they smash it in just to see if the door works or NOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
You about got that right dude! I was in Barstow inspecting some trucks and while the guy was taking me around to various yards we came upon the GL girl employee unloading a flatbed (pallets) and she driving the SHEET out of one of those big forks, like a maniac.

To Wit; I'm an equipment operator by trade, 30 yrs, and she's what we call a slam-banger... didn't take too long to figure out WHY everything in Barstow gets beat to crap... (they never shoulda' let women drive OR vote:mad:)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the GL forklift driver lift a pickup that way up at Great Lakes and chewed him out for it. He seemed surprised. they just do not think or care too often.

Regards Marti

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ban giant forklifts! Do it for the CUCV's! Ban them now!
It probably IS the most practical way to load/unload smaller vehicles off of say, a 40ft flatbed. But FOR CRIPE-SAKES---- with just use a little common sense anybody could figure out that after they've damaged EVERYTHING they touch, maybe some padding/dunnage on the fork blades themselves MIGHT prevent some of the damage to the vehicle... (and he slaps himself on the forehead:doh:)

You have to wonder though, does the govt know or even care that the goods they hand over to GL for sale are being damaged and devalued? I mean, like maybe even somebody in GL management might figure out that they could possibly get higher bids (and make more profit) by taking just a little better care of the stuff they sell?

(but then what do I know... I'm just a 'dumb' crane operator)