• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bent metal

m35a2cowner

I think I know the answer to this question but just in case.... As you can see from the picture someone in the past has chosen to bend the axle shield over to make a crude safety lock for the spindle nuts. Currently, they have star washers on them that seem more than adequate for keeping the nuts from backing off. I am guessing this is a non approved technique? Although I could see doing this in some type of field situation. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It kinda looks like something might have happened in there. Why would a person bend the shield over only 4 or 5 nuts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Word to the wise, those star washers are concave. I've not tried to find new ones yet. Also, grade 8 nuts are a necessity. I've ran across a few with soft nuts and they were pulling off the studs.

m35a2cowner

While it may look as if something when boom in there it was intentionally done. I bent the metal back off of the nuts to take the spindle off. Almost all were bent over except the top two. The studs looked hard and the nuts were harder than anything you can lay your hands on at the average hardware store. I replaced all the star washers that looked bad. I had to take one of the spindles off again (forgot to lube inner spindle bushing and the star washers really held the bolts tightly. I torqued everything to 36 pounds which seemed plenty tight. tomorrow the rest goes back together with a bit of drive in preparation for Monday's parade. Thanks for the pointers and have a good Memorial Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks