• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bent tailgate - Repair or replace?

I_Publius

I busted out my window and bent up the top part of my tailgate when I hit a tree limb backing down a trail the other day. Uggg....

Now there is a huge crease in it and I need to determine whether or not to have a body shop repair it (unless someone can tell me how to do it myself) or replace it.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd let my insurance pay for a replacement.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will probably need to be covered under collision. Do you have that coverage? Deductible? Just replace it. Takes less than a hour and they are pretty easy to find. I picked up a spare complete tailgate in perfect condition with glass for 75 bucks last year.

I_Publius

That will probably need to be covered under collision. Do you have that coverage? Deductible? Just replace it. Takes less than a hour and they are pretty easy to find. I picked up a spare complete tailgate in perfect condition with glass for 75 bucks last year.
I think I like that idea even better. If I can find one for $75, that is the route I'll take.

I have had too much on the brain lately to even think about the project, so I'm glad to have a forum like this where people can help set my brain straight. ;)

cucvrus

That is a nasty place to do a repair. But it could be done. Is this a show piece? If not fix it so the window works, sand and paint the area and drive on. After you replace the rear glass. Finding one for $75. is a good find. I don't even think I could insure a 30 year old vehicle unless I went with classic insurance. Then with the $500. deductible I would still have to fix it myself. It appears the gate was up when it hit. Good Luck. I hope everything goes well. Fixed or replaced. All works out the same. I have many patina marks on my M1009.

cucvrus

No I am sorry to say it will NOT. It can not be made to fit either. I had a 1/2 dozen brand new takeoffs from a RR contract we built and gave them away.

I_Publius

No I am sorry to say it will NOT. It can not be made to fit either. I had a 1/2 dozen brand new takeoffs from a RR contract we built and gave them away.
I figured it probably would not. Oh well, I'll keep my search going. Thanks!

cucvrus

Are you determined to fix it to perfection? Or just get it operational? If you had a local body man hammered and work that dent out it may be less expensive then a replacement. Just a thought. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks