• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best answer ASAP (M1101 Trailer Tire Pressure)

RjSteed

I know it has the suggested tire pressure on the tire.

Friend of mine is on his way home with an M1101 Trailer he Just purchased from Ft Gordon.

Says the trailer is bouncing around (Not sure how much) but is asking what best pressure for an empty trailer would be for empty travel on road an hwy?

He does have two spares he brought with him just in case and is putting those in the trailer for some weight.

I'm thinking part of his problem may be that he has forward tilt on the trailer cause he is pulling with a Nissan Frontier I think.

Less tire pressure would cause more bounce would it not?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Friend of mine is on his way home with an M1101 Trailer he Just purchased from Ft Gordon.

Says the trailer is bouncing around (Not sure how much) but is asking what best pressure for an empty trailer would be for empty travel on road an hwy?

He does have two spares he brought with him just in case and is putting those in the trailer for some weight.

I'm thinking part of his problem may be that he has forward tilt on the trailer cause he is pulling with a Nissan Frontier I think.

Speed may also be a factor , slowing down may reduce the bouncing .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Less tire pressure would cause LESS bounce because you would have a softer tire (flat tires DO NOT bounce)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
17 PSI ?! Wholly Crap...

Whys the tire say 50? Should he ever use the 50?
Might wanna read the tire again. Maximum inflation is 50psi. The pressure rating on the tire is the highest pressure the tire is rated for. Not what pressure the tire should be ran at given the vehicle characteristics. ;)

RjSteed

Point noted.... Has me wondering about my Tahoe now... Running 31" tires at max pressure and lot of vibration when going down dirt roads... Gonna have to let some out and see how it does.... Thanks

3dAngus

The military used to run higher pressure for highway years ago.
They found there were issues at the higher pressure with the sidewalls, dirt, etc, and the tires would develop leaks that would require removal and reseating. It was manpower intensive and a waste of funds and time.
You will find mountains of good tires piled up after removal as a result. Many units find it appropriate to change the tire out when removing, and eliminate any doubt. They also ran out of air and drove on them, causing failures of another nature. Look for black rubber marked rings around the sidewalls for running on flats.
The 17 psi is more for off road, and yes, they will definitely bounce at 14-17psi loaded, and are supposed to.
I do not run 17 at highway speeds or anything above 30mph. It will drive you nuts. I have purchased a dozen or so M1101/1102s and they are almost always down at the 14-17psi area upon recovery operation, so the first thing I do is run the pressure up to 30psi. No more problems with bounce, and no leaks yet!
I would never run HMMWV tires up above 35 for any reason.

Last edited:

86m1028

There is a placard on the door that tells you what pressure is best for your vehicle.
Thats for the crappy factory tires they put on it !
Exactly why I remove that sticker & write in sharpie
"read the f***ing tire"
I run load range E tires on wife's yukon.
When it's taken in for service they drop the air pressure to 35psi
tires look flat when they drive it out.

86m1028

Less tire pressure would cause LESS bounce because you would have a softer tire (flat tires DO NOT bounce)
Lower pressure will cause MORE bounce ( more sidewall flex)
Flat tires WILL bounce !
Dont believe me put a flat tire on a trailer & pull it 70mph, see what happens.

Like someone else already posted about these m1102's 30-35 psi works pretty good.

emr

LOL :) An over inflated tire bounces more ") max tire pressure is stated on tire, and for a max load. factory settings are the best for most uses. Tire professionals at tire stores will never understand what those of us who run different tire pressures want and need . Sometimes I forget but usually give a note with the tire pressures I run,I also old school rotate, they don't understand that today, so I just give a note :) its not up to them to figure out the needs we have. they just follow the store rules :) Max pressure is also the least amount of traction :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks