• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Antifreeze/ coolant for M1165a

theairguy

Looking for the all around best coolant for a 6.5 Turbo in a M1165a. I don't want to have to add additives all the time or have scale build up. What are your thoughts.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been discussed quite a bit, general wisdom says use plain ol inorganic or IAT which is what we all used for decades now there is organic OAT and even hybrid HOAT
The problem is it is evidently cheaper to produce OAT and even if you ask for good ol green you may get OAT just dyed green, read the labels

87cr250r

Some engine manufacturers want sodium nitrite in the coolant to prevent liner cavitation. These are the HOAT coolants. If you have a Caterpillar dealership nearby buy their ELC coolant. It is a HOAT.

You will not find an IAT coolant at an automotive parts store. If for some reason you want to run it, Caterpillar still sells one called DEAC. The IAT coolants require periodic dosing with a supplemental coolant additive.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO the best thing is to pick one and do a COMPLETE flush, then stick to that part number, if you mix IAT and OAT you can end up with a mixture more corrosive than straight water and it can turn into a brown sludge.
The last IAT I purchased was in an auto parts store, never use an "all vehicle" antifreeze which are all HOAT
Prestone, Zerex and others still make IAT although you have to look for it, Summit Racing carries the Zerex

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks