• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best CB To Purchase

ssdvc

What would be a good choice in CD radio's for my 1009? I am in Conn, so anyone know where to look?

ssdvc

A CB (Charlie Bravo). I would like to have some comms in the truck, something besides my cell phone, and I can't afford a milspec radio right now.

dozer1

It has been 15 years since I was really into this (CB radios and mods) but this place was a really popular place to buy from then. www.copper.com As far as what radio would be a good choice, there would be probably as many opinions as radios. I would recommend one with SSB as they are generally higher quality inside. Remember that a high quality antenna is every bit as important as the radio. They must be installed properly and SWR tuned or you will damage the radio.

Back to the radio. 1 guidline to go by is cost. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I would look at the models out there and see if you can find some reviews on them.

Dave08

I have always had good luck with MidLand Radios. However, I am in the deep south and would not even know where to look to get on in your neck of the woods. Internet is the best bet at this point as CB radios are mostly a thing of the past. You may consider a Marine VHF handheld radio for the glove box with a cigarette lighter adapter for power charging. Just a thought.
Dave08

ssdvc

Do the marine handhelds have the dame freq's as the mobile vehicle ones?

Cleptomaniac

For the money a cobra 29 with a 102" whip is pretty good and they were on sale a few weeks ago at the flyin' j.
I'm no expert at this but a friend is. He recommended this setup and I installed it in the 1009. Would post a pic but on my phone!
Search "my 1009 CUCV" and you will see some pics. The whip is really tall so it has to be tied down.

rickf

I have a Cobra 29 that I bought at least twenty years ago. Works great. I just dug it out the other day and still works great. As far as I am concerned CB is dead as a useable comm devise unless you want to learn some new and interesting phrases in another language. As was mentioned a good quality antenna which is matched will make a world of difference in any radio.

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back when I was into CBs I ran a Cobra 148F with a 400 watt "kicker". If you don't want sideband a Cobra 29 is hard to beat though.

Dave08

Never thought of the Marine use on land issue before. I was thinking more along the lines of the motorola type handheld radios like the Marine type. I realize the Marine Radios are VHF did not know about using them on land as I only use mine on the boat. Live and Learn. Most of the military radios that I used were VHF radios i.e. GRC 160, the AM radios or the UHF were used to talk with the aircraft and Navy ships such as the An/PRC 104. I used to call in Close Air Support strike missions. Most of the Helicopters have both AM and FM (VHF/UHF) freq but the fast movers and/or fixed wing aircraft in my day only had the UHF capability as did the Naval Gunfire Ships.

I thought CBs were VHF radios?

Dave08

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was a long haul trucker for many years......the Realistics (sold by Radio Shack, built by Cobra) were good in the early years.

Later I switched to Cobras (when they went to 40 channel) and stayed with them.

I still have a Cobra 29 that has been peaked and tuned and has the high and low channels installed (never used them).

I ran a 400 watt Texas Star kicker to cut through the clutter and twin "Hot Stick" antennas.

Under ideal conditions I could talk ten miles or so (assuming I had someone who had a radio similar to mine) with that setup.

In todays modern vehicles it it very hard to find a decent place to mount a CB.

With an M-1009 you can fab a mount to put it between the visors overhead.

Rustsleeps

Soooo, are the trucks running the interstate system still using CB for truck to truck? It has been years since I have had a CB, I guess the "other" radios took their place. I am thinking that with the low cost for a CB and decent antenna it may be time to revisit the 1980's. It is better to have and not want, than to want and not have...:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks