• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Cheap Steering Mod IMO

rwminck

Well, I just wanted to post the results of the machined front caps I bought from Steve6x6x6. Wow, my deuce was a pain in the butt to steer on the street. OE tires...etc. I have been dropping money on other upgrades and mods and lockers on the front has to take a back set for now. I don't off-road much and if I need to swap them, a 3/4" with a breaker bar and 10 minute, done. My steering is about 50% easier at least. :):):) Absolutely great work around if you can't afford lockers. Thanks Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you kind of lost me, do you have a locker in it? If not why is it hard to steer? I have lock outs on mine and it doesn't affect steering at all.

rwminck

Sorry, The splines are machined out of the cap, so the wheels are disengaged from each other. Steve has a pic of the inner machines in the classifieds. Hope that make it clear. Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that they are de-splined. I just don't see it making any difference on a stock deuces steering unless you had other problems. As I said, I can't feel any difference in steering if I unlock mine. (unless I had the T/C engaged)

rwminck

Well This is my first experience with a deuce, so I don't know, I may have an issue with my steering. Don't know what the steering issue could be based on my new found ease?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that they are de-splined. I just don't see it making any difference on a stock deuces steering unless you had other problems. As I said, I can't feel any difference in steering if I unlock mine. (unless I had the T/C engaged)
Same here...
This is the first time we hear of anyone talking about 50% less steering effort...!

G.

rwminck

Okay, maybe closer to 40%, and that me be high due to my excitement, but it was a significant change. Anyone have an idea what could the cause the difficult steering before the de-splined caps given the ease afterwards. Possible Deuce for sale..uugh

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, maybe closer to 40%, and that me be high due to my excitement, but it was a significant change. Anyone have an idea what could the cause the difficult steering before the de-splined caps given the ease afterwards. Possible Deuce for sale..uugh
What transfer case do you have? If it's a sprag case you may have some issues there.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, do you have a switch under the dash that controls the front wheel drive or is it automatic.

If you have the switch under the dash, you have a air shift case.

If there is no switch, then more than likely you have a sprag (automatic) transfer case.

RAYZER

I put desplined caps on my cargo deuce a couple of years ago and noticed a big differance immediately, unlocking the front axles from the hubs and stopping all that rotating mass eliminates a whole lot of vibration, noise, friction, and saves on wear and tear, it does make the deuce a little easier to steer.
In my opinion this is a worhwhile modd if the truck is driven on the road alot or your going on a road trip.
This modd will not work with a sprag transfer case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks