• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best civilian type tow hitch assembly for a M1008?

CUCV IRL

:? Hi Folks, It is my intention to fit a 2" tow hitch receiver tube to my M1008 to allow me to fit an adjustable tow hitch (such as part# PH30029 - Hitchesonline.com). This might not be any big deal to my fellow Stateside CUCV enthusiasts but for me these type parts are not available here in Ireland. Furthermore I'm unsure how I affix the receiver tube to my truck. I assume it is welded and also what length tube should I use? Also I've noticed that there is a receiver tube/plate that fits underneath the step type bumpers.....would this be the better type to use?
Any pics, info etc. on getting the right parts to do this would be gratefully appreciated. One of my biggest problems is finding a supplier who will ship to Ireland. Hitchesonline.com do ship to Ireland but their shipping costs are scarey! :twisted:

Thanks folks

No.2Diesel

Actually most tube receiver hitches are bolted to the underside of the frame. I suggest a 2" receiver size. Reese, Hidden Hitch, etc. will sell a bolt on kit. You'll be able to tow up to 12,000lbs. Is there an international standard for hitch tubes and balls?

AJMBLAZER

Hello all.

Not much good info on that last thread from what I saw. The rear bumpers on these things aren't much stronger than standard GM bumpers of the era. They have extra bracing true but it's not enough to replace a standard hitch. You could tow small weights with a bumper mounted ball but I wouldn't go much beyond a ton at most. It might tow a lot for a while but I wouldn't want to tug on it much or more than a few times with any great weight. DEFINATELY NOT Class IV/V weights.

You could get a pintle that has a 2" ball on the lower jaw to replace the one on it now...but in my case that would make the hitch about 3' in the air...not a good option for towing conventional trailers.

Over on www.ColoradoK5.com there's a guy working on this with his CUCV. He bought a conventional 2" hitch and apparently it doesn't fit due to the extra bracing for the rear D-rings and such. Last I heard he was planning on modifying it somehow. Have to check up on that...

Just out of curiousity how's a 20 year old American 1 ton 4x4 truck fit in with all of the tiny Euro-cars? 8)

CUCV IRL

Hi,

Not much info on the thread as you say. Anything that I've found has related to M1009's only. I've seen the "pintle/ball hitch that you refer to but I decided to pass on buying one for the very reason you mention....too high. It would not be my intention to tow big weights however, I want the convenience of being able to remove the hitch from a receiver to avoid any clearance issues when roughing it with my truck. I had considered welding a 2" receiver to the underside of the bumper brace but was unsure of the best length to use. I'm surprised that no one on the list has fitted a receiver to their M1008!

My 20 year old American 1 ton 4 x 4 does not fit in very well at all! Just the way I like it......always turning heads......I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

AJMBLAZER

It's one of my "gotta do" things but right now school and 2' of snow don't let me get into it.

I figure worse comes to worse I remove the rear D-rings and their supports as I need a hitch more than them. It'd be nice to have both however.
I'll make it a point to check up on that guy over on CK5. That's a good website for these old GM's by the way.

Heh, I used to know a guy in New Zealand with one of these on 35's and 4" of lift. He always loved showing up at club trips or something and amazing the "big guys" with Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, and Patrols with how much his truck dwarfed theirs. 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks