• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Coolant / Antifreeze

Loose Deuce

Ok I like the idea about filtering the engine coolant, actually I was going to do this two years ago but didn't follow through. What will be the best or Good engine coolant I should use ? I live in the South so Winter is not much of a problem but the heat is. Looks like Prestone in it now and its been in it for at least 3 years and it needs flushing out real good before I rig up this filter. thanks for any suggestions.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get something with a supplemental coolant additive, or DCA and low silicate too.

houdel

Just make sure the coolant container says "for heavy duty diesel use". The regular light automotive stuff you buy at Wally*World etc. does not have the proper additives. HD diesels are subject to very different internal vibrations than gasoline or LD diesels. Those unique vibrations can set up standing waves on the cylinder liners and internal portions of the block which actually vibrates the coolant off the block/liner in places. The process is called "cavitation". In wet liner HD diesels cavitaion can actually cause the liner to rust through. The special HD diesel coolants have SCAs (Supplemental Cooling Additives) to prevent cavitation as well as address some other HD diesel coolant requirements.

The neat part is that the SCA level can be tested and supplemental SCAs added to maintain protection. I buy the HD stuff locally, it is about $1.00 per gallon more expensive han the standard automotive stuff.

Loose Deuce

Ok, Can the Addative be found at most auto parts or do I need to look for it at heavy equipment shops or eighteen wheeler shops and such ? May be able to purchase it on line ???

Loose Deuce

Hey I found my Military Magazine article on Coolant Maintenance by Mr.Bjorn. Dang I forgot I had those magazines I been saving. :oops:

Thanks for all the info guys and thank you Cranetruck. :D :D :D

houdel

XJChief said:
Napa here carries Fleet Guard. About 15 bucks a gallon.
The local truck stop has HD diesel coolant, don't recall the brand, but it was about $9-$10 per gallon last time I looked.

FSBruva

Some of the sites' "coolant equivalency" charts seem to show that you don't HAVE to use "the green stuff," as the next generation of heavy duty diesel coolants last longer. Anyone have any experience with this? Or is this kind of like the GAA vs. New grease discussion - e.g. Why use new when old works just as fine?

Matt

houdel

FSBruva said:
Some of the sites' "coolant equivalency" charts seem to show that you don't HAVE to use "the green stuff," as the next generation of heavy duty diesel coolants last longer. Anyone have any experience with this? Or is this kind of like the GAA vs. New grease discussion - e.g. Why use new when old works just as fine?
Matt
Most US coolant feedstocks are either Ethylene Glycol ("EG", the "green stuff") or Propylene Glycol ("PG", the "blue stuff"). PG is new to this country, is less toxic and more "environmentally friendly" than EG. Most extended life coolants are PG, although some are EG.

Since they all start with the same feedstock (most commonly EG) the only difference between the brands is the additive package. As long as you are using a well known brand specifically formulated for HEAVY DUTY diesel engines, use distilled water for dilution AND you periodically test and maintain the freeze protection and SCA levels one is about as good as any other.

For more info on maintaining coolant protection see:
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15077.pdf

For more info on PG coolants see:
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15547.pdf

FSBruva

I guess my worry was about interaction between PG and EG. I plan on flushing the system with water, but what if I can't get all the green stuff out? Am I hosed when I put the new stuff in?

Also, the local place has Shell Rotella ELC coolant. Does anyone have any experience with that perticular brand? The MSDS says it's red... is that a different kind of glycol?

Matt

houdel

I googled "Shell Rotella ELC coolant" and found out it is NOT a coolant, it is a a super concentrated antifreeze additive which you mix in with whatever coolant happens to be in your cooling system. Following are quotes directly from a trucking website, I couldn't find the ELC listed on the Shell website:

"The primary component of the ELC conversion program is Shell ELC Conversion Fluid, of which only one gallon is required to convert a 12-gallon cooling system. The fluid contains a super-concentrated dosage of Shell Rotella ELC/antifreeze additives blended in a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol and de-ionized water. The 50/50 pre-mixed product has been formulated to have minimal effect on the freeze point of the coolant in use, and is fully compatible with all reputable ethylene glycol-based engine coolants."

"A typical conversion normally takes less than one hour, does not require draining and refilling of coolant, and once completed, the cooling system will never again need to have supplemental coolant additives added."

"The Shell Extended Life Coolant Program is recommended for use in all North American heavy-duty diesel and natural gas engines, including Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, International, Mack, Mercedes, and Volvo."

For more info see:
http://bulktransporter.com/mag/transportation_shell_supports_facilitates/

http://bulktransporter.com/mag/transportation_shell_offers_rotella/

houdel

FSBruva said:
I guess my worry was about interaction between PG and EG. I plan on flushing the system with water, but what if I can't get all the green stuff out? Am I hosed when I put the new stuff in? Matt
Flushing the coolant system has been discussed in other postings. I doubt cross contamination will be much of a problem if you do a good job of draining the old coolant. The biggest issue is to open all the coolant drains on the block, heater etc. to drain as much of the old coolant as possible. Using a flush chemical to clean the system internally is at your option, there are both acidic and alkaline flushes available and each removes certain contaminants which the other doesn't.

Depending on your amount of ambition, you could either:

A. Drain, flush with clear water, drain again and refill with antifreeze and distilled water.

B. Drain, flush with either an acidic or alkaline flush (or both), flush with clear water, drain again and refill with antifreeze and distilled water.

C. Send a coolant sample in for testing and follow the instructions that come with the chemical analysis.

For more general info on cooling system maintenance and options see:
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT15077.pdf

sprucemt

Here is another choice. I carry 5 gallon pails of the correct U.S. issue anti-freeze. Antifreeze, ethylene glycol, inhibited. Full force. MIL-A-46153C.
NSN 6850-00-181-7933. Mfg by Foural Enterprises. 5 gallon pail. This is what the government uses once the warranties expire.

dirtyfingernails

When I bought my deuce from Dave at Eastern Surplus, he serviced the truck which included antifreeze change. Dave said he just uses green antifreeze, always has. You can see I'm a bit confused and concerned. Many of you are indicating that certain additives should be used to prevent "cavitation" and provide adequate protection. Please advise.
Steve

sprucemt

Anti-freeze

You can in most cases, stop confusion by using products meeting MIL-Spec ?. In this case, with the anti-freeze, Mil-A-46153C. As I stated before, I carry issue anti-feeze in 5 gallon pails for $30.00 ($6.00 Gal) per pail plus freight.
Corrosion is the primary culprit for damage with diesel motors. This can be controlled by using, Corrosion Inhibitor, Liquid Cooling System. NSN 6850-01-085-4717. Mfg by Waltron LTD out of NJ or a similar product added to older anti-freeze. The container states,
Prevents engine cooling systems from corrosion, deposits and pitting,
Prevents silicate deposits,
Prevents cylinder liner pitting,
Eliminates high nitrite levels,
Special "bubble breaker" eliminates foaming and reduces cavitation potential.
In this case the name of the product is AQ-701. I do not carry this product.
Other Mfg's include NALCO Company, Penray Company and NALFLEET Inc.
It does not list a mil-spec but does meet,
General Motors Elecro-motive div spec M.I. 1748 rev c for diesel jacket cooling systems.

houdel

Most antifreeze is green, except for Extended Life Coolant and a few specialty coolants, because it all comes the same feedstock, Ethylene Glycol. The difference between "diesel" and "gasoline" coolants is the additive package. Just make sure the container is marked "For HD Diesel Use" or use the military coolant and you will be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks