• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best CUCV replacement dash pad

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEADS UP! This vendor has a coupon code for 15% off + free shipping on orders of at least $350 right now. Coupon code 15FEB22
I was going to wait a while before dropping a few hundred bucks on something cosmetic... but when I saw my total drop from $411 to $298, I couldn't resist.

By the way, I went with dark brown for the dash pad color. Hoping it will match the door panels and bench seat. Will try to remember to post some photos once it comes in, since the website doesn't have any photos for this color choice
Discount isn’t working anymore☹

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dark brown doesn't match perfectly, but I like it better than the original grey dash pad. Fits pretty well, even without a couple retainer clips (2 of the old ones broke while I was installing, thus the bulge you can see over the passenger side dash where those missing clips are supposed to be holding it down flat/tight). I ordered replacement clips from LMC (PN 30-0569).

Also, had trouble removing the original dash molding without breaking the old brittle retaining nuts & inserts. The original is haphazardly hanging on now, and easily falls off with any bump in the road. For now I plan to use some double sided velcro wall-hanging tape to keep it in place, but looking for better alternatives. Found a replacement at CJ Pony Parts, but price is $75 and lead time is 5wks. Anyone know of a faster and cheaper place to get one?
Check LMC truck...I replaced all of my dash. The dash molding was around $35 and the "Delux" emblem was available there as well.

Reactions: Zeb

Keith_J

Urethane might be better than vinyl. The original color was brown. These were vinyl which is short for polyvinyl chloride, that same PVC used for plumbing, only it is rendered flexible by addition of an oily substance called plasticizer. Over time, this oil vaporizes, causing hardening and shrinkage. And the dreaded splitting.
Polyurethane can be a natural elastic material so if this formula also has high UV resistance, it might work. The stock pad has urethane foam underneath but it is highly reactive to light.

cucvrus

I was searching for the Grey color code for the Army Grey dash? (not looking to do a color change to bronze or burgundy.)
The Bronze was the stock color when the CUCV left the factory. The neutral gray is a replacement dash pad and was supposed to be painted / dyed to match. The SEM paint/dye will adhere very well if the pad is cleaned and free of any cleaners. Armor All is a killer of adhesion. I have painted many of the OEM ones back in the mid 90's. I used to buy the new GM dah pads in the mid 90's for $225. I wish I could get ahold of some now. All the replacements I see have multiple steel underlayment and that is where the quality and poor fit of the bezel come into place. The OEM dash pad had a 1 piece steel underlayment and that was best. The steel underlayment extended into the gauge bezel flange and allowed the placing of clip nuts and proper adjustment and fit. Good Luck.

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a Dashes Direct dealer for about 10 years. There is only 1 manufacturer of the square body dashes and it’s them. All the parts companies just drop ship from the manufacturer.
You have 2 options for dashes, vinyl over foam with the metal core. Or polyurethane.

The vinyl over foam is the closest to OEM, over the last year Dashes Direct has made some quality improvements regarding fit and finish. They are better now. However they still do not fit like the OE replacements. The problem is the metal “hump” in the center of the dash support near the defrost vent. The aftermarket dashes don’t fit level over the rise in front of the defrost vent.You’re going to need to gently hammer down the hump for the dash to fit correct.

I don’t use the poly dash as it tends to be too rubbery.

CUCVRUS is correct the aftermarket vinyl over foam dash is made of multiple metal inserts and thus not as rigid as OEM.

last NOS grey GM dash pad I saw for sale was $1500.
David

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks