• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Gear shift knob

Texascarnivor

This is the one that I have in my trooper II. It's the femoral head component we use for broken hips. There is a 28mm head inside the bigger head. The bigger head is lined with polyethylene so it swivels on the smaller head. I've got one saved to put in my deuce.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of pictures of the gearshift knob in my M-37 / M-42. Nothing outrageous, just a little something different to match the branding on the heads of the bolts on the rest of the truck.

IMG_1268R.jpg IMG_1269R.jpg

Another Ahab

I just installed an "8 Ball" shift knob and I believe I drilled and tapped for 5/16-18. Remove the knob and throw that size nut on there, just to be sure.
Does a shift knob exist that has the correct deuce shift pattern printed on it? Call me a bore, but I'd love to get a knob that's similar to the original knob with the shift pattern on it.

Here's a source for custom knobs (including shift pattern engraving):

- for the adaptor needed for product from this shop, anybody know what the Deuce shift knob thread is (5/16- 18 as noted by steel andcanvas)?

http://www.americanshifter.com/

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The old school glitter/metalflake ones were made by Roadway (other companies made similar ones too). My brother has one in his m37.
DSCN1064.jpg
Caterpillar control knobs are similarly shaped, and I've seen pictures of them on trucks in the Vietnam war.
DSCN1061.jpg

rassd71

I'm finally in the process of buying my first deuce... and I can already see that it won't be the last!

Before I've even taken possession of the truck, I went ahead and ordered a custom gear shift knob (actually a gift from my wife), but I need to know the thread size and pitch for the guy making it. So, could someone please confirm the size for me? It's a 1970 Kaiser m35a2 if that makes a difference??

Thank you.

Robert aka rassd71

PS - Once I have the truck, I will start my own build thread.

Artisan

Drive over to home depot, grab one each nut of sizes;
5/16-18 5/16-20 3/8-16 3/8-24 7/16-20 1/2-13 1/2-20 9/16-18.
Label them so you know what is what. Go try it in the parking lot.
After you figure it out return all parts for $ back. :)

CLICK HERE for ideas

rassd71

lol, that may be what I end up having to do. But it's not as practical as asking here, the truck is over an hour away. I could just wait the couple more weeks until I bring her home, but I was hoping there was a standard.

XchaosX

I just went and grabbed a knob off one of my trucks. Using my tap and die set I found my knob to be 3/8-24. I use dummy grenade on my 73 that I drilled and tapped.

foxtrk2

I did the grenade thing in my contact truck but put it on its side more comfortable that way . oh don't waste a wwII grenade like I did before I knew what it was lol oh well its na expensive knob job now

rassd71

I pulled the knob and verified it with a bolt and then a tap to chase the threads, I'll use a die to clean up the ones on the shaft before installing the new knob and share pics... and at least on the 1970 Kaiser Deuce and a half it's a 3/8-24 (fine thread)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks