• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best guesses at a restored m1009's value in 2018 and beyond

n8roro

I can see myself getting carried away with improvements, and I'm having a hard time finding the value of a restored m1009 that is rust free. Anyone have an idea of a price range for something like that. I don't intend on selling anytime soon, but I don't want to throw too much money down a hole. Right now I am having fun upgrading and fixing it up, but I am spending more than I anticipated up front 😁. Knowing a decent sale price is a possibility would help with choosing weather to upgrade only broken parts as needed, or replacing cosmetic items as well that would provide me more enjoyment as well as increase the sale price.

I have seen K5 blazers go for 30k and up. Granted an m1009 would sell to a smaller market, but even with decreased demand it seems like a restored one could fetch a decent price with the right buyer. The supply has to be getting smaller so value would go up over time. What have you guys seen them.go for? Feel free to pm if this pricing talk is taboo. I am not in the business of fixing and flipping vehicles so that is not my intention. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, I'm just curious. Thanks for your thoughts.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I thing your chances on retaining or possibility increasing the value of a 1009 over the years might be a possibility, only because its a K5 Blazer and they are getting to almost not exist anymore due to a rusting problem that was enormous! On a nice quiet evening when I was younger I could sit outside and actually hear my dads K5 rust grow! Your concern of spending to much money on restoring, improving and "making better" is ALL only in your eyes, the next person will hate anything that you did to the truck to make it non-original, I know for gods sake its a 1009, give it a break! With that said you make the improvements to the truck that you want to make so it serves YOU better, dont worry about the next guy when selling time comes around, if the buyer wants it great and if not that is great also! With that said DO keep in mind that any of your perceived "IMPROVEMENTS" to the vehicle you will get back only a very small % of your investment and nothing for your labor, thats just the way it is!!
I have a beautiful Deuce I restored and it is absolutely perfect in virtually every way, I have 17K invested NOT including labor and the truck is STILL worth 12K, I cannot afford to sell it. Try not to do that!
Karl

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much like classic cars you rarely get back what you put into them , much less make a profit. You mention "improvements" and "restored" It's one or the the other. A restored vehicle is factory correct with original parts. That said with this crowd
figure the low end of pricing.

cucvrus

I have had good luck in fixing CUCV's driving them and enjoying them for a while and then selling them. I like the hobby of fixing things and using them for a while and setting the bar higher on the next item. I have a collection of Honda tractors, CUCV's and have now stepped up into Kubota tractors. You have to do it for the love of the hobby. I like to do things that other guys are most times too busy watching TV to get done. I also like to take nothing and make something of it. I get the questions and compliments at most of my projects. I am not an old man or a young man but still try to do my very best without the best equipment and parts available to me. I try and maintain a stock floor plan and tat has helped my projects maintain good resale. No hacking and chopping going on here. I lie any mods to be a matter of just unbolt and re-bolt back to original. Not cutting wires and changing everything. It has sold a few of my vehicles for fair money. Use them or loose them. It is not the get rich quick hobby. I do it out of love for the hobby. I have several hobbies all include hard work and dirty hands. Happy Holidays. Build it to suit yourself stay with in budget. It is a 30 year old truck and has no creature comforts so don't try and make it a modern vehicle. You will be disappointed. I say do or do not there is no try. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all. Stolen codes. But easy to live by.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M1009 in decent condition is $2500-$4k. $6500 to the right person if you've swapped axles to 14bolt. Most other mods will have zero value. Many will have negative value.

Future value will be impacted by competition with hmmwvs. Highly unlikely that it'll go up substantially.

MarcusOReallyus

Much like classic cars you rarely get back what you put into them , much less make a profit.
Bingo. On every vehicle forum there's always someone with $$ in his eyes who thinks his classic [fill in the blank] is going to be worth big bucks.

It rarely is. Very rarely.

You mention "improvements" and "restored" It's one or the the other. A restored vehicle is factory correct with original parts.

Yep. Pick one.

Don't do this for the money. Just don't.

n8roro

I'm not trying to make money. I enjoy working on it and learning so that is the main point for me. I want to leave it stock for the most part. I'm on the fence about fixing up the interior, and how far to go with that. I put in new vinyl flooring, and I go back and forth on replacing the seat covers. As far as improved vs restored: I'm replacing worn parts with the stock equivalent and not lifting the truck, however I'm not going to try do a historical reproduction of what it was like in the 80's. I'm adding a steering box brace and doghead mod in the coming weeks.

But enough about me. Thanks for your replies. The reason for this post was that from searching this site for "how much" posts the ones I found were from 5 or 10 years ago and said 1-2k was a good price for a m1009. I have not found any that were not really rough for that. I saw one go on iron planet gov auction a couple weeks ago for almost 6k that looked decent, but with a few flaws. Locally there is one on Craigslist for $4500 with rust and dented body and a nice looking one for $7500 that is not listed any more so may have sold (I'm not in the market, but it's fun to look). To me that indicates an upward trend or a glut in the market in the past when a lot went to auction. I'm just a new guy though so it's great to get your opinions.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If those are selling prices, they're getting far more for them than I get.

Clean rust free desert truck brought $4k when I sold it. A buddy bought a nice clean truck for $2500.

Edit - I just hope you guys that are putting high values on them are around the next time I have one to sell...

Last edited:

dependable

If you are looking to preserve current value, or keep long enough for value to increase in any collector vehicle, factor in the cost or use of space to keep stored indoors, at least in winter. Any rust free vehicle in wet and snowy areas will only remain rust free and valuable with effort. One improvement worth considering is underside paint or other treatment. Also, it will be difficult to keep rust free even if treated well, if used on salty roads in winter.

If I had the current value of even a few of the vehicles that have rusted out from under me over the years, I could retire right now.

But to answer your question directly, I recently saw a very nice, rust free, low mile 1009 sell for around $8,500. This may be on high side, but trucks like this are only going to become rarer. I hear the person who sold it had about $9K into the truck, including cost of transportation from southwest.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supply and demand. It’s that simple.
It’s worth whatever someone’s willing to pay.
Prices on GP are rising. Just go and look at the sold history and you can see the figures.
Not as many are coming up for auction either.
Someday.....sooner than later.....they will be gone.

Their not making anymore of them and stock, Unmodified, rust free versions are quickly becoming rare.
The value of them will rise. How much?? Time will tell.
Civillian square body trucks and blazers are rising in value also.
Some are selling for crazy money for very nice, all original condition examples.
Even the fire department/forest service CUCV cast offs, with the jacked up wiring, missing parts and lousy paint jobs are selling for crazy money.

The M1009 will never compete with the HMMWV.
Two totally different trucks and production numbers.

The key word is original.
It will be worth the most if it’s in it’s original factory condition.
That means no lift kits, interior install, a/c kits, hanging lights all over, 12v conversions, and all the other things guys do to these.
Everytime I see one all hacked up, added up and lifted, I cringe because that’s another good cucv example lost to history.
Of course guys can do whatever they want to their trucks, but it very rarely actually increases the value, except in their mind.

I keep mine all original as much as possible.
With the exception of engine and trans gauges and a map light, DH relay, it is.
Those can quickly be removed for pure “as issued” condition.
It’s not remotely a museum piece, but it’s used everyday, well maintained and cared for.
I also only buy my MVs straight from US Government auction. No private seller. That’s just me.

Often, I have someone asking to buy it.
Last Friday, someone was waiting by the truck for us, outside a restaurant, just to ask to buy it and then where to get one.
Usually get approached at every fuel stop.
My 100% all original, rust free M1009 that I have in long term storage took me over a year to find.
None of my CUCVs will ever be sold. Too hard to find another one in same condition.

Do what you want to your truck.
Just don’t expect to retire when/if you sell it.

Drock

The Chevy Square body has come of age and is currently all the rage in the custom truck scene. There were several at the SEMA show in Vegas, so it should shortly trickle down to the CUCV. There's a huge following of them on Instagram and new companies popping up that specialize in custom parts & trinkets. Whenever I join a "Squarebody" page on Instagram I'm met with a Rock star status with my M1028:cool: .

n8roro

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes open and watch what sells over time to get a better read potential values. Sorry for posting a live auction. It was not mine or anyone I know. Just a guy trying to get close to 20k for an m1009. I hope he gets it 😉.

n8roro

Hey cucvrus the link is still in your quote from my post. Can you get rid of it? Sorry for causing trouble.

Chevybrit

I watched this 1008 on ebay and wondered if the seller might get the 15k asking price, Its a great looking truck and some serious work has gone into it.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

14.jpg13.jpg12.jpg11.jpg15.jpg

If its someone on here I'd personally like to say congratulations ... It didn't sell for the buy it now and went to auction but only reached 6100
so it gives one an idea of the buying market. In terms of presentation in the ad its excellent.. I would obviously like to see the truck in the flesh
if i were to spend anywhere near that kind of money because you never really know how good the paint is etc etc

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he would have put same effort and cash into restoring to original condition, it would have brought a lot more money.
Guys like that thinking that just because they spent a lot of money on it, it makes the truck worth more. Wrong!!
Very rarely does it work that way.

I wouldn’t even give that white truck a second look no matter what was done.
Like my MVs all original and will pay good money for it.
Other guys are just the opposite and love them modified.

That's just another example of one more original CUCV lost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks