• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best M1008 Mods

XJfreakHO

Hey all,

New guy here from North Carolina

We picked up an M1008 CUCV on monday, it runs and drives no problem, everything is in great working order, so we have been discussing the plans for it, it will be my fathers offroad toy, it will be used to tow on occasion, and be driven to and from the trails most of the time.

The previous owner swapped the 16.5" wheels for 16's already, thought about the recentered h1's but not sure how good a double beadlock would be street use from time to time.

He asked me to put together a list of things he should get.

My first thoughts are:

ORD Shackle Flip Rear
4" lift Springs up front
Crossover steering
36-37's
Maybe find an LSD front from an M1028 and swap it over.

I mentioned bobbing/swapping the bed, but he is a huge fan of the longbed for day to day function.

True Knight

I replaced all my springs when I did my 4" lift. That and bigger mud tires is the easiest and best mod to do. Besides the few problem solving ones like changing to a spin on fuel filter and fixing the starter relay before it leaves you somewhere trying to disconnect the batteries before the stuck cranking starter burns out.

XJfreakHO

I don't know much about electrical work, what should I look to fix on the relay?

Ive heard about converting it to the 12 valve system but Ive also ready "If it works, leave it alone" and that the m1008's 24v systems arent as troublesome as the m1009s.

If you could link me to a thread about the starter relay issue or give me a breakdown of what needs done that would be appreciated, also what kind of spin on fuel filter is best, and whats the part number?

Got plans for this, but it will still tow from time to time, and still be driven around town atleast twice a week, was thinkng about recentered h1's but honestly don't know how well they would run on the road, sure would like to get some hummer 37" radial take offs for it.

14k Miles on the truck, pulls like a hoss, no issues mechanically, got the typical cracked up dash, little rust on the cab and under the driver fender, looks to have taken a hit in the rear but no frame damage, just a bent bumper.

Thanks alot.

True Knight

Its a sticky at the top of the CUCV page. "Doghead starter relay modification." Read all those sticky's, there is some great info in there. For the spin on filter just do a search. There are some good threads on it. Including this one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36435-my-cucv-spin-fuel-filter-mod.html#post397409 Just browse around and see what people have done to their trucks. Get ideas and do the best ones as you have time/money.

As for the HMMWV rims and tires, they look alright, but take some work to make the rims fit well. I just went with moto metal rims that I found on craigslist. I think they look great, and don't stand out much from military the theme.

XJfreakHO

Only problem with that is 16.5 wheels are notorious for bead problems, are you saying stay away from the h1's? Are they not worth recentering for double beadlocks?

My next choice would be the XZL's in the 36x10.00 that is supposed to be tough as nails and great for towing. I am still getting used to the forum layout, but I will try to check those threads out. Thanks alot.

rnd-motorsports

On the lower left of the Home page there is a serch put in dog head relay. and the relay fix is outlined very clearly a MUST DO!!!!!! not will if fail but when!! FIx it Now the first thing you should Do. Alot of guys on here dont like the converting back to 12 volt but some like it I myself convert mine back less parts to go bad and I can go to any parts store and buy a alt or get a 12 volt starter for a 6.2/ 6.5 try getting a 24 volt starter Need not say more! anyways the things in your first post sounds like a great start for a off road/ on road truck:beer: and as long as the rims are done correctly I would not see any problems with them on the road. the truck in my pic and name is a 1028 love the true 4 wheel drive I build off road trucks for a living and these are a great jump start to a great off raod truck! Have Fun!:grd:

Last edited:

True Knight

:ditto:

My buddy paid some good $$$ for a dana 60 and a 14 bolt, like $2,000 or so. That's more than I paid for my whole truck! And with a limited slip in the front end of my M1028 from the factory, I can take this truck almost anywhere! Its a great truck to start with.

XJfreakHO

Alright I will check into the relay here in a minute, thanks for the info.

We have a ton of diesel shops in the area, and a good buddy of mine is a tech at Kenworth, but I gotta tell you, Ive never tinkered with a diesel so its a whole new world for me. I figure it would be pretty easy to find the alternator here, NAPA warehouse located right next to a strip of big diesel company's and shops.

Yeah, would love to have the LSD front end but it is what it is for now.

What advice can you give me about the 16.5's? Would love to run them with the 37 take offs, but am a little worried about horror stories of droppin a bead.

I should add, we paid 1800 for the truck, and drove it home. This is the link we found it on, priced at 2200, we went and picked it up right away because my father hasn't done much offroading, he asked me 6 months ago what he could get that "Wouldn't break" and "wouldn't be a gay jeep"

My 4x4 Club is mostly jeeps, my father hates them because he has seen us break all kinds of parts and have to repair them. M1008 was my first thought even though niether of us know jack **** about diesels.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ctd/2237144607.html

Last edited:

True Knight

The problem isn't having a diesel shop around. The problem is that nobody seems to carry a 24v Chevy starter These are converted to 24v and the only real 24v part is the starter. The glow plugs run off of 12v. The stock set up uses a resistor bank on the firewall to reduce the voltage to them. My truck already had a resistor bypass done. Because if the resistor bank goes bad the glow plugs will burn out and possibly swell to the point you cant get them out. So that is another mod that is good to do, if you're not going to convert the whole system to 12v.

As for the 16.5 rims i cant help. I don't have any experience with them. But I will say research it and if you want to run them, do it. Its your truck and we are currently in America. Do with it what you want and don't let others tell you shouldn't. Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

This is or was my first m1008 got it for this build frame and axles or at least the front of the frame and axles Now the wifes toy she still lets me drive it. Was mine then I let her drive it at a mud race and now its hers oh well the 1028 so far is still as I got it except the rear rack behind the cab I use it for fire wood and a toy as well as a daily driver

Attachments

True Knight

Oh and I have watched more than a few jeeps get pulled out and then drove right through where they were stuck with no wheel spin at all! No offense to the jeeps though, they have served the USA well and for that they deserve respect!

mtn man

I know the truck you got in pinnicle, I live nearby and have fmaily in the area. Good deal on the truck... he wanted 3k on ebay! I figured it may have been a 12v conversion since the voltmeter was a 12v meter... but maybe not. Learn to use a multimeter to keep up with the electrical. There are some great junkyards in NC for the trucks if you need parts. You can use the 'search' function on this site to find all the help you need.

As for tires... Taller tires will help you reduce RPM's @ higher highway speeds, but keep in mind you will notice a bit of a 'power' difference when getting up to speed. We have a 1028 and put 255/85-16's on it and they do great... a bit taller than a 235/85 and can be hard to find, but they are a good fit for the factory 16X6 wheel. BFG makes the 255/85 in their MT line... nice tires.

Enjoy your truck... I know I like mine and it's not my daily driver but drive it weekly up to 100 miles round trip with no problems... no problems after I got all the bugs worked out from where it had been sitting for sometims.

If that 60 you have is working fine then I would keep it.. there are a lot of other things to invest in and fix as they break.

rnd-motorsports

Nice lookin truck if it runs like it looks good deal the dash is like that on any 20 year old truck my 1028 had 15 580 miles when I got it rust free arizona truck I say good find not a race truck but great off road trucks he will love it wont go some places your jeeps will but will have fun trying and may just surprise some!

XJfreakHO

It may have the 12 conversion, in all honesty, I popped the hood only to check the fluids and make sure everything was there, looked around for rust, and made sure everything worked. I won't actually get to take a look at the truck until sunday afternoon when I am over there.

Jumping on here to make a list of things that need done, assuming it is set up the way they came, so forgive me there.

My XJ is locked in the rear, open front, on 36's, 4.56's, biggest weak link is my trans which will shift to 2nd in a good hole, killing my wheel spin, getting me stuck, but the lightweight jeep has its advantages too. Ive owned alot of GM's too, and they definately have there advantages, but the jeep is small, fits on the tighter trails, and that in and of itself makes it worth having one to me.

rnd-motorsports

Check the battery cables if the bats are in series pos of front bat to neg of back battery then its 24 volt starter. if the pos are both together then its 12 volt. hard to tell in the pics but being the gauge has been changed very well may be.

XJfreakHO

Well, this morning dad called and we talked about lifting it asap.

Is there a package deal out there that can save us some money going from 4-6" of lift?

I know the ORD shackle flip but all the parts really add up if you do them seperate, willing to buy used if any of yall have some for sale.

Also, what is a good price for recentered h1's?

True Knight

I would say replace all the springs if you have the means. I got a skyjacker softride 4" lift with all new springs. The truck rides much better than it did with the old stock springs. Also if you are planning on running wide tires a steering crossover is a must. I got mind from ORD, but there is a thread on here about how to make one on the cheap.