• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best M1008 Mods

Always good to c another NC SS member names john aka Southern Steel just want to welcome u to the site as for the mods these guys are talkin about they arent kidding if u need anything let me know i have access to m1008 parts if u need anything welcome again

DokWatson

Do your 4 inch lift then add ORD zero rates in the front and back, easy way to gain another inch for a total of 5".

Lifting a vehicle brings on all kinds of new issues to fix. Stay away from raised steering blocks and drop pitman arms, they are only a band-aid. If you can see splines showing on your front driveshaft when the tires are off the ground, its too short. Just a few things to keep in mind.

My truck is also street legal so I can drive to trails. Make sure you look up your states lift laws so you don't get any tickets.

Last edited:

XJfreakHO

Just wanted to come back and update everyone.

Our M1008 will be sitting on 37's and Recentered h1's by the end of the week.

I run a local 4x4 Club and we have our Bi Annual Uwharrie Trip this upcoming weekend, so that put us on a very short deadline, so I will tell the story of the chaos and finally the good news.

I called ORD 3-4 weeks ago with the intention of ordering a kit from them, the guy who answered the phone was extremely rude, and insisted I look on the website for pricing, I made him aware that on the website it said to call for full kits. So we are running through the information and we get to steering, I inform him I already have plans to have a local vendor handle that. He keeps telling me over and over that I will need the crossover steering with this kit, and that its only $450 yada yada and will save me so much, I again said hey, I have it covered, just price the kit. He prices it to me at a little under $1700, which I thought was very high for what was included, the conversation ended there, and after the bs about the steering, I didn't feel bad about it at all.

Honestly I got stupid busy after this, and kind of forgot about getting the truck done until last thursday night.

I called Brandon @ Rides of Conover (Local Shop) this past friday and asked him if he could get me a 6" Rough Country Kit priced out, with full springs, upgraded shocks, and most the other goodies. Price was great, but as I mentioned, I needed the truck ready this friday to head to Uwharrie. I wrestled the idea of installing it myself, tearing the old suspension off over this weekend so that on wednedsay when the kit got here I could get started right away and hopefully knock it out by thursday evening, and initially told him to have it shipped to my house, this morning after a long weekend and looking over the truck I called him back and asked if he would be able to do the install in the short amount of time. He assured me it wouldn't be a problem, and priced the install for $350 for everything, which I thought was pretty **** nice, because the truck is 25 years old and probably never been apart, and surely has some gremlins (rusted bolts) that will put up a **** of a fight.

Shortly after calling him we went and met a local guy and bought some recentered H1's and 37" take offs with 90% or better tread, was pretty **** happy to do it, and can't wait to see the truck when its done.

I will be sure to post some pictures on here, I think itll look pretty **** good. :driver:

Last edited:

M1008driver

My best mod was changing the exhaust to 2 1/2" and VForce mufflers. I no longer slow down on hills and mountains and can even accelerate if I desire. Optima batteries, 60g glow plugs with new insulated connectors that fit, manual fuel pump and Cummins Fleetguard spin on filter, and gp override button all are GTG for my use. Oh, and a new CDR valve

Absolutely do the doghead mod. My starter tried to stick one day, or sure sounded like it, and that saved me as I could immediately turn the key off.

Attachments

Last edited:

idM1028

LSD in the front doesn't FEEL like it makes that big of a difference. I could be wrong. If you can find a parts M1028 with the LSD Dana 60, you might want to grab the NP205 while you're at it. The CUCV's have the slip yoke version of the NP205, but you should be able to find a SYE kit for it. If you're wheeling all the time, I'd swap out the rear leaves for a longer, flexier, '88-'98 spring from a GM truck or at least a little bit lighter spring. Keep in mind, the suspenions are designed to handle 1 ton+ loads and they ride like it. Not the best thing when you're going down a trail full of ruts. A 4" lift should clear 37's. Might have to trim a bit around the rear of the front wheel wells.

caladin

Well, this morning dad called and we talked about lifting it asap.

Is there a package deal out there that can save us some money going from 4-6" of lift?

I know the ORD shackle flip but all the parts really add up if you do them seperate, willing to buy used if any of yall have some for sale.

Also, what is a good price for recentered h1's?

Trail Worthy Fab

In referance to tires and rims

XJfreakHO

On the way to URE... Good weekend, broke a Ujoint in the front shaft, going to be upgrading them this weekend, didn't have time before the trip

M1008driver

I changed out my fuses and now my high beam blue lights work. There was nothing wrong with them other than being 25 years old. I wish one more light on my speedo would come on so I don't have to tear it down and change the bulb.