• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Option to haul tracked excavator behind M931A2?

CIH7777

In the market for something to haul my recently purchased 30,000 lbs tracked excavator (IH 3964b) behind my M931A2. If I can get something with more capacity than 30,000lbs, that would work also. Is there any military semi trailers models out there I can haul this with? Any recommendations on which would be the best option also without getting too expensive for registration and insurance costs in WI? Can a military semi trailer be tagged with historic plates in WI just like the M931A2? I will only be hauling this excavator about 3 miles down the road every once in a while to clean up drainage ditches on neighboring farms, maybe 1 or 2x per year during the summer months. I won't be driving fast with it at all, probably in low range, and will take it easy on the rural farm road. Local truckers want too much to move it every time and I would like to use the trailer anyway to pickup farm equipment I may purchase in the future on local auctions. CDL's are not required for farmers in WI as long as it is within a 150 mile radius of the farm so that is one less expense. Another option I may look at if I can not find a good used trailer to pull behind the M931A2 on the 5th wheel, I may just try to find a semi trailer and put a trailer dolly under it, or possibly a tilt bed trailer, to pull it with my pintle hook or use my farm tractor to get it down the road. Is the tow capacity of the pintle hook a lot less than the 5th wheel though? Just pulled this photo off the internet. Will try to post pictures of the tractor and excavator if I can get a hold of a camera. IH 3964b.jpg

Last edited:

Excuse Me

For 30k you will want an RGN low deck. That is a big excavator IMO. F plates can get away with a lot, but simple physics will tell you that heavy weight on the pintle hook will off weight the steering axle. Where placing weight on a properly located 5th plate will not.
Dont run it in low range down the road unless you disable the valve that automatically puts the front in gear when shifted into low. Even then, it's an allison, it can handle 50k easy.
IMO.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only readily available gov surplus trailer suitable for this job is the M172A1. They are no longer being surplused however.

CIH7777

What excavator do you have? A Pintle hitch trailer might be an option.
Late 70's IH 3964b...made by a French company named Yumbo that IH bought out when it was still in business. It has a couple extra buckets with it also. I would like to fit them on the same trailer next to the excavator. IH 3964b.jpg

CIH7777

That Hyundai looks about the same size as what I have. What would a ballpark figure be for a trailer like that?

Csm Davis

Guys just keep watching the auctions there will be more lowboys pop up and don't get hung up on military designation many are civilian trailers pressed into service but with the 931A2 you will probably want one built with the higher neck but not a must have for just occasional use. Also watch the pin size of the bigger trailers some have the 3" pin and welded in some are changeable.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Hyundai weighs 36,000#. I usually pull it with my 929A2. It handles it fine. I keep it over both trailer axles so it doesn't put too much weight on tandems and make it light in front end. Trailer is a Eager Beaver 20 Ton. Don't go cheap on a trailer. Eager Beavers are underated on there weight carrying capacities. Well worth the extra money. You could probably pick a nice one up for around $10-12K.

BnaditCorps

The only readily available gov surplus trailer suitable for this job is the M172A1. They are no longer being surplussed however.
Maybe an M870 if you can get your hands on one, but that is complete overkill, also 3 axles, not fun to register unless it is "farm equipment". By the sound of it if you could get one for cheap in decent shape that might be your best bet. Other than that it would be better to get a civilian trailer, but i believe the hitch on the M series is to high for civilian trailers, but don't quote me on that.

Scrounger

As NDT has posted the M172A1 would be a good trailer for your needs. I can’t comment on WI law about whether you would be legal.
The M932A2 is somewhat under powered but for short distances would get the job done. The M172A1 trailer weighs around 17K by itself and the ramps are quite heavy and are a four man lift. However the excavator could load the ramps with a couple of chains. The trailer is also oversize, 115” 1/8” wide and may need a permit when going on road. Again check WI law for farm equipment. As far as tagging the trailer look into a Maine tag.

Landbarger

Postman and simp are giving you good advice, CIH7777. Almost every paving, earthmoving, and utility contractor around here has 16-24 ton trailers like the Eager Beavers to haul medium sized equipment. Since you've got air for brakes the only thing you'd need to change over electrically ought to be bulbs in brake and marker lights and go to the NATO connector.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or buy the convertor box and plug and play. My convertor even had the abs so my trailer even has abs. ABS was standard on my Eager Beaver.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks