• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best place to buy replacement glow plugs

Sephirothq

Looking for some answers on teh best place to buy some replacement glow plugs for a m1009. There seems to be alot of debate and some of the threads I read are a bit dated. Has anything new come out on what to use? and where is the best place to buy them?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, and the Internet.

There seems to be alot of debate
Let the debate begin!

I cannot recall who specifically at the moment, but the choice of brand seems to be between two brands/types for the most part and when it comes to where to buy them, just buy them wherever you reasonably trust and can get a cheap price. Hopefully someone else can shine a better light on this question!

Iceman3005

I'm going with the bosch #80034's ordering them through rock auto for $7.67 a plug plus shipping. I have been using the wellman's from a guy on ebay, say's there the best in the industry with a one year warrenty. Most of them don't make it 3 months and he gives me an earfull about honoring the warrenty, won't be using him anymore or buying these crappy wellman's.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good success with the AC60G's from NAPA. Installed them in four trucks without issues.
They were reasonably priced and available off the shelf when I needed them.

The connector tab needs to be filed down some on them so that it will mate with the stock GM glow plug wiring connector.
Karl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always recommend that owners replace the old terminals with new 1/4 female blade terminals.

AC Delco AC60G is my preference as well.

stationjj

I replaced mine with AC60G and replaced the terminal ends.
I purchased from local parts store. I have had no issues.

I have never bought from rockauto. I will have to check them out.

stationjj

ReubenJames

AC60G with new terminals.

Got mine from CUCV Electric (when they were still doing business) along with a GP Card, Relay and Alternator rebuild kits. Should be able to source GP's now from just about good parts supplier..Just shop around.

Gripy

Why do you need to bypass resistor?
If a GP burns out it will increase the voltage to the other GP's causing a cascading failures of all GP's. Switch them over to 12v you won't have this problem. (But your GP will now only go off of your front battery; instead of both.)

I took my resistor off and switched my GP's to 12v.

Gripy

Any other advantage and disadvantages of this?
Civi trucks run off of 12v. 24v for GP's just allows for extra cold starts. Switching over to 12v. gave me a piece of mind.

ETA: I use AC60G gp's with the proper connectors attached to the wire harness.

Last edited:

Gripy

Do you skip the the small resistor by glow plugs and go strait to GP relay?
its a fairly large resistor. I took it off and connected the appropriate wire to the 12v bus. just search for the GP resistor by-pass. You should find a thread with pics and explanations.

ETA: To do this, all you need to do is to pull the large resistor off of the firewall (center of engine bay right behind the air cleaner) Take the wire that goes from the resistor to the GP relay and move to the 12v Bus (diamond bus).

SO, Instead of the wire going resistor -> GP relay. You make it.

12v bus -> gp relay.

i used the same wire, i just drilled out the resistor side of the wire connector to make it large enough to fit on the 12v bus studs.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?32567-What-happened-here-glow-plug-resistor-bypass

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several threads explaining this.

I recomend it as well.

10 minute task.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks