• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best place to tune-up my 6.2

edpdx

I have not been having any trouble... having said that I would like to be ahead of the curve on ignition problems. This is my first diesel, so forgive me if my nomenclature is off.

I just read some threads about timing and where to set it and at what RPM, etc,. I can work on my SBC all day; but I am still lost pretty much with diesels. I have new Glow plugs to put in. They are the 60g plugs. I also bought some of that trick yellow fuel line for the injectors. I have a box full of stock fuel filters, and have already cleaned my ball... the glass one.

Is there a place I should be looking for that will set ignition and everything else that these diesels require as part of their maintenance schedule? What can I do, what can I have the shop do?

Who does service on these rigs?

chevyCUCV

I think you are asking about your timing?

It should not need adjustment, but will be covered in the tm's
If your engine is in good shape i would not want to start tinkering with it unnecessarily.

Read all your tm's and learn how to own and maintain your wanna be vehicle, most people here are doing there own work

edpdx

chevyCUCV, yes, I am asking about timing.

I have all the bound TMs and refer to them regularly. I don't know that I have the equipment, or the technical ability to work on a 6.2's ignition; and I am looking for a mechanic or shop that can verify that it is up to snuff before I assume that the way it is running now, is as good as it should be running. In fact since I have owned this Blazer, I have worked on it quite a bit. I'd just like an expert to look at it.

Code:
" learn how to own and maintain your wanna be vehicle
. "wanna be?"

Brett09

If you step on the peddle and it doesn't lag or knock you are probably within reason on these. Being a few degrees either way wont effect them enough to worry. To truly check the timing you would have to test the pump and verify its within specs for a J code pump. Test the injectors and make sure they open at the correct PSI. From there you could use the (insert the correct tool name here please someone, its slipped my mind) to do the timing. If it doesn't lag or knock and the power it okay I would just drive it. You can put a pyro gauge in to monitor the exhaust gas temperature (EGT). EGT is king when it comes to knowing whats going on inside the cylinders for diesels.

Tanner

Are you concerned that the truck isn't running properly, or are you looking to gain more power by tweaking settings? The 6.2 doesn't have a lot of power to begin with, so any adjustments beyond the norms required to run aren't going to give you major power gains.

Don't worry about setting the gap on the glow plugs - they come pre-gapped from the factory. .. though I have had people ask me about the gap on them.

'Tanner'

Chief_919

I have not been having any trouble... having said that I would like to be ahead of the curve on ignition problems. This is my first diesel, so forgive me if my nomenclature is off.

I just read some threads about timing and where to set it and at what RPM, etc,. I can work on my SBC all day; but I am still lost pretty much with diesels. I have new Glow plugs to put in. They are the 60g plugs. I also bought some of that trick yellow fuel line for the injectors. I have a box full of stock fuel filters, and have already cleaned my ball... the glass one.

Is there a place I should be looking for that will set ignition and everything else that these diesels require as part of their maintenance schedule? What can I do, what can I have the shop do?

Who does service on these rigs?
If your truck seems to be running fine, don't mess with it.

90% of the time when someone says they had to adjust their timing as a fix, that is a clue that the IP is starting to go, and advancing the timing is just a mask for it.

Last edited:

Barrman

Being able to actually check the timing is something being discussed in another thread. Notice, basically nobody knows how to do it or with what tools? That is because it really isn't needed for these engines. Do some of us want to know just because? Yep.

If your 1009 starts, drives down the road and gives you close to 20 mpg at 60 mph. Leave it alone.

Tanner

:ditto: ...from the school of 'if it ain't broke, don't break it'.

To best understand the operation of the 6.2 & fuel/timing/glow system, read the books - first.

'Tanner'

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:yep if it runs ans starts good dont mess with it. Or it like what on the
right ->->:deadhorse: its is little happy face and his CUCV aftermath it reminds me of my brother after his do it selfer. LOL

longda

EDPDX,

If you're feeling brave, you could look for a diesel shop in you area. The civilian Suburban and Blazer diesels of the same years as the CUCVs are very similar. The more you read up on the engine though, the more comfortable you'll be calling BS if the shop is shady.

Good luck.

998Junkie

Well congratulations to you and good luck! You know the one food that kills a woman's sex drive? Wedding cake. roflEnjoy yourselves. Sorry to hijack.
You sure it's only one food? If it then I got a figure out where the other half is hiding the cake...might be next to my b***s.:D

Welcome to the club CUCVnut.

bearboley

If you wanna check it to make sure its close Line the balancer up with the zero mark or tdc #1 and line the mark up on the IP with the mark on the front housing which it should be already and thats your base timing. Thats how you static time it, if you want it dynamic timed or with the engine running its needs to go to a good diesel shop or a GM dealer. It is out of the realm of the average joe.

idM1028

:ditto:
I would strongly recommend going out and picking up the Haynes Diesel Manual. It will cover all of the 6.2 and 6.5 stuff as well as the old 5.7 and some of the Ford stuff. Long story short, you CAN set the timing yourself, but it requires the use of a diesel timing meter (either one made by Snap-On or one made by Kentmore. I'm not sure they make either of these anymore) You need a diesel timing meter since you need to actually see when the engine is firing, you can't do it off of the distributor, ignition box, etc (Since diesels don't have them!) In addition, you also need to set both the slow idle AND the fast idle speeds. If the trucks running fine, I wouldn't mess with it. If you're really worried though I would take it to a reputable diesel shop (as old as these trucks are, I'd take it to a place that has been in business for a while or has somebody working there whos a bit on the older side) and have them look at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks