• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Rear Spring Option for Bobbed Deuce

PROSTOCKTOM

Hello Gentlemen,

Just recently purchase a Deuce for the purpose of bobbing it.

My question is directed toward the Pros and Cons of using M105 springs with part of the trailer frame rail as a spacer vs. using the front springs from a 5 ton.

I have read through a lot of threads, but haven't found any question that was directed in this way.

At some point If the money or need is right I might like to go with an air ride in the rear, but for now I would really like to use the best proper spring set up that has proven to work.

I'm not looking for the easiest or cheapest way to do it, just want to do it the right way from the start.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Coondawg

I'm bobbing my deuce right now. I'm using the trailer springs because I think it is pretty simple, makes for a cleaner job, and cheap providing you are using a M105 trailer for the bed anyway. The trailer springs unbolt from the frame. Front deuce springs are riveted and a lot of work to remove, or can be a lot of money to buy already removed. I had custom ubolts made for $60, I bought some nice wrap around weld on rockwell spring perches and spring plates from Balistic Fabrication. The perches were $30/pr and the plates were $30.00/pr. Also, I'm in an area where parts trucks are a rarity, so I would have had to pay a premium for front springs. The perches I bought place the spring 1.5 inches above the axle, and I had two 2.5" lift blocks from another project laying around, but you can buy 2.5" lift blocks off the shelf at most parts stores. That and the 1X4 strip give me the lift I need for the bed. I personally don't like the look of the sectioned frame of the trailer mounted under the frame of the truck. You still have to buy ubolts and whatever plates or bolts you use to attach the section to the existing frame unless you plan to rely only on welds. I'm not confident enough in my welding to totally rely on it.

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer either way, but this is my experience and decision, and so far so good. I'm not finished yet, but things are falling in line as they should.

Awesome Possum

I don't know whether you can use front springs from a 5 ton, but I went with the deuce front springs. I'd never done anything with suspension before, and it made it much easier (though I didn't have to remove them from another truck.) Payed through the nose but they were worth it.:grd:

Deuce front springs. The suspension doesn't stick out off the side of the frame and the front springs off of a deuce should offer a fairly nice ride compared to 5 ton springs unless you plan on always traveling loaded down.

PROSTOCKTOM

Any and all photos of the different setups would be greatly appreciated. I need to see more photos too fully grasp all of this information.

Thanks Tom

Last edited:

DUECE-COUPE

the spring kit of a 5 ton will rarely flex, and will not look right under the the deuce. I have seen both systems installed, and but for space blocks used on the trailer spring kit, the only difference is the width of the springs. setting the springs on the out side of the frame widens the suspension 7.5 inches, and seams to make the rear end tighter, and less sway is experienced, thus improving the ride quality of the truck. were I to do another, I would use the trailer spring set up with a spacer made out of 3 1/2 inch square tubing angled and capped on the ends and drilled to locate the spring pack assembly bolt in the middle of the springs.

PROSTOCKTOM

the spring kit of a 5 ton will rarely flex, and will not look right under the the deuce. I have seen both systems installed, and but for space blocks used on the trailer spring kit, the only difference is the width of the springs. setting the springs on the out side of the frame widens the suspension 7.5 inches, and seams to make the rear end tighter, and less sway is experienced, thus improving the ride quality of the truck. were I to do another, I would use the trailer spring set up with a spacer made out of 3 1/2 inch square tubing angled and capped on the ends and drilled to locate the spring pack assembly bolt in the middle of the springs.
Doesn't sound like a guy could go wrong with a little extra width for the extra stability that comes with it. Does this cause any tire clearence issues with a 15" wide tire?

Tom

Last edited:

91W350

Can we not remove some of the spring stack on a five ton pack and get a softer spring rate? We used to do that a lot on one ton and 3/4 ton pickups that guys were using for light duty and tires of getting beat to death.

joshuaz223

It depends a lot on what your going to do with the truck. if you plan on hauling more than 8000 pounds stay away from stock front springs. the narrow spring placement and relatively soft springs make for a top heavy tippy feeling when loaded heavy. lightly loaded they are great and provide a nice ride. if i were going to haul a lot with a bobber i would use 5 ton springs and manufacture outside the frame hangers. the trailer springs offer the extra width and overload springs but are still to light in my oppinion for hauling heavy loads. they do feel good on the road because of the less tippy feel. you have to work hard to keep the stacked frames from looking like an abortion.

HanksDeuce

Attached below are reference pictures taken from the XM381.com website.

The M105 trailer springs mount to the side of the deuce frame.
The deuce front springs mount below the deuce frame.

I will be using deuce front springs for the rear of my bob project currently in progress. I won't be able to use the factory shocks, however, because of the 8 inch lift being installed at the same time. I will be installing custom shocks front & rear.

Attachments

PROSTOCKTOM

I'm starting to think that I might just be better off spending the money now and go with the air ride from the sound of it. There seems to be no perfect spring setup and the air would ride a lot nicer.

Tom

Awesome Possum

Tom,
I think it depends on your level of expertise. If you don't have a high level, it's probably not the way to go. I have a low level of experience in this stuff, and while having done some bus conversions, mini trikes and such, an airbag setup is way beyond me. Other people can just whip one together from stuff in their backyard. You can always go the easier way and go from there. Once you pick the harder, more "perfect" path you could just end up stuck.:beer:

militarysteel

we always use front springs 2-1/2, we grind the rivets flat and they pop out with air hammer, the part i hate the most is drilling all those new holes in the frame! so far 2 m35a2's and 2 m35a3's,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks