• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best route heading North from Robins AFB in a newly won A2?

voltedge

Hi,
I am picking up an A2 from Robins whenever my EUC clears and was wondering what would be the best route to take from the AFB not knowing anything about the truck and possible issues. Will need to head toward Jackson,GA area which I know is right off of I-75, but not sure if the interstate is best in a slow moving MV and also unsure as to how to navigate through Macon as far as DOT or LEO is concerned. Have used GPS, but they of course don't take into consideration the speed differentials of the slower MVs vs modern tractor trailers. Your experiences are appreciated! Thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd HIGHLY recommend a once over on fluid levels before even leaving the DRMO lot. (I doubt they'd say much as long as you're checking while it's warming up) Once your off base, I'd pull into the nearest gas station and do a more thorough eval.

Also, carry a credit card, cell phone, and a list of semi towing companies nearby. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
129 is a fair route but there are areas that are a decent bit between towns and not much shoulder for emergencies. Looks like 23 would be a more direct route but I've never travelled that road. I prefer interstates as they have large shoulders to bail out onto! Is your A2 and M1028A2 or maybe an M151A2?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plug it into Google Maps and tell it no highways.

129 to 23 is what it says.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
https://goo.gl/maps/dUMo6

That's what I'd do. 129 is small enough that you won't be pushed by 80mph traffic but large enough that there will be lots of restaurants, businesses and such that you can find a safe place to pull over if a problem arises.

If you have a towbar, take it with you. In the event of trouble, you may find someone else with a big truck to help you, but if they don't own a towbar, you're busted. If it's a 5 ton, take air hoses as well, so the towing vehicle can hook to your truck and actuate the brakes.

Take all the fluids, filters and tools you may need.

Give the truck an extremely thorough going over. I've bought trucks that had no bolts holding the transmission in.

Take cash and a credit card with decent capacity.

Make sure you're completely familiar with the vehicle you're recovering (you say it's an A2-A2 what? M35A2, M939A2, etc.). If it's an M939A2, make sure you know how to cage and uncage the brakes.

The biggest thing you can do to ensure a successful mission is to know every. single. possible. thing that can go wrong and prepare for all of them. Some of these things can be learned by reading the manual, some by carefully considering all the things that can go wrong and some can only be learned by experience.

And always remember-the military declared your vehicle excess for a reason-maybe the unit got all new trucks and there's nothing wrong with yours. Or maybe there's something else. And it may not be apparent.

voltedge

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is an M35A2 btw. I actually own one already and will be using one for actual work and one as a collector vehicle. After I get this new acquisition, I'll determine which one is going to be which. My current Deuce has been used for minor work, but it's in great shape considering, so it will probably be the collector truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks