• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source for 700R4?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not too far, if an assistant might help build confidence...
Thanks Gimp. I have the confidence to forge ahead, just don't have the extra time right now. I am helping my wife build a new facility for her business and because she controls 95% of the money and 100% of the sex, I must do as she so instructs.

Regarding the entire transmission swap process, the only thing I am still a little unsure of is how to clean the cooler and radiator with dry cleaning fluid prior to hooking the lines back up. The TM seems to lack details in this regard, so I need to do a little more research before I get started.

By the way, I like that popcorn bowl.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, it seems like most of you want to retain the NP208 rather than going with a 205 or Atlas 'case. Other than cost, is there a good reason to keep the 208 that I have missed?
If I was going to do serious off-roading I would consider the Atlas case. However my truck will never see dirt much less mud and the 208 is certainly capable of hauling groceries. My truck sat on a NG base in Arizona for 25 years and only had 12,338 miles when I got it. All fluids looked new so I see no reason to change the TC for my light highway use. That Atlas case is bulletproof by the way.

davykeith

Sharecropper, how did this go? I'm in the same boat. Tranny on the way but not sure who I should get to do this. I really would rather have someone do it for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, it seems like most of you want to retain the NP208 rather than going with a 205 or Atlas 'case. Other than cost, is there a good reason to keep the 208 that I have missed?
Speaking for myself,. I don't need the brute strength of the 205 or the expense of the Atlas but I do need the 2.61 low range. Anyone have any idea of the cost comparison of the Atlas and the Lomax.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper, how did this go? I'm in the same boat. Tranny on the way but not sure who I should get to do this. I really would rather have someone do it for me.
Davy, heck it ain't gone nowhere. That $2500 Bowtie 700R4 is still sitting on it's pallet in my shop. I turn 67 years old tomorrow and it seems the older I get, the dang busier I get. For the past year I've been helping my wife relocate her business to a bigger facility and as a result, there has been no time for my truck projects. I am hopeful to get the tranny swapped sometime in this lifetime. If not, I can guarantee you it will get done in my next life. I plan to come back as a USAF Motor Pool Master Mechanic. Might even have an Enola Gay tatoo on my chest.

Have you accumulated all your parts? Will your 700R4 have the correct output shaft to properly mate with the NP208? Do you have the taller adapter? Have you thought about using a Derale pan with additional cooling and temperature gauge bung? Do you have the correct 700R4 dipstick? OEM shift indicator? Aux transmission cooler to mount out in front of the radiator? Are you going to rebuild the NP208 while you have it out of the truck? If so, have you thought about replacing the 208 chain with a new 242 chain? How about speedometer gears? Have you calculated which drive and driven gear set you will need to go along with your planned tire size so the speedo is correct? Have you found a NOS OEM GM flex plate? I understand these new Chinese plates are, in reality, manufactured in Taiwan, then smuggled into North Korea, then traded to the Chinese for cigarettes and beer. Oh, and I hear that Kim Jung Dong or whatever his name is found a Staples Easy Button in a dumpster and then applied a piece of masking tape across it, onto which he took a Majic Marker and wrote "NUCLEAR".

No, I am not drinking. Just having fun with you guys. Let me know if I can help with any part numbers or anything.

davykeith

Davy, heck it ain't gone nowhere. That $2500 Bowtie 700R4 is still sitting on it's pallet in my shop. I turn 67 years old tomorrow and it seems the older I get, the dang busier I get. For the past year I've been helping my wife relocate her business to a bigger facility and as a result, there has been no time for my truck projects. I am hopeful to get the tranny swapped sometime in this lifetime. If not, I can guarantee you it will get done in my next life. I plan to come back as a USAF Motor Pool Master Mechanic. Might even have an Enola Gay tatoo on my chest.

Have you accumulated all your parts? Will your 700R4 have the correct output shaft to properly mate with the NP208? Do you have the taller adapter? Have you thought about using a Derale pan with additional cooling and temperature gauge bung? Do you have the correct 700R4 dipstick? OEM shift indicator? Aux transmission cooler to mount out in front of the radiator? Are you going to rebuild the NP208 while you have it out of the truck? If so, have you thought about replacing the 208 chain with a new 242 chain? How about speedometer gears? Have you calculated which drive and driven gear set you will need to go along with your planned tire size so the speedo is correct? Have you found a NOS OEM GM flex plate? I understand these new Chinese plates are, in reality, manufactured in Taiwan, then smuggled into North Korea, then traded to the Chinese for cigarettes and beer. Oh, and I hear that Kim Jung Dong or whatever his name is found a Staples Easy Button in a dumpster and then applied a piece of masking tape across it, onto which he took a Majic Marker and wrote "NUCLEAR".

No, I am not drinking. Just having fun with you guys. Let me know if I can help with any part numbers or anything.
Sharecropper, I'm putting mine on my HMMWV. Regarding the questions you asked, I haven't sourced any parts yet. I really need the 700R4 for dummy's that you mentioned. I've been searching posts here but I'm still not exactly sure of all the parts I'll need or where to source them. I'd like someone to do this for me so I don't end up in the same shape you are in! Too many projects, too little time. Not only that but if there is a wrong way to do something, I'm going to do it that way first by default. I installed a Luverne brush guard on my M998 last night. Took me like an hour. I first put the tow hooks on upside down, then put them on the wrong sides of the bumper (nut towards mount which causes clearance issues). Struggled with the brush guard lining up the holes for quite a while. I'm not sure why but it seems like every time I go to do something I do it by default the wrong way then eventually figure it out.

Please point me in the right direction. I'm looking for step by step dummies guide to replacing my TH400. Do you have any links to video's located in your research of yours? Thanks.

PS I'm headed your way in April going to Knob Creek Machine gun shoot.

Chaski

Sharecropper, I'm putting mine on my HMMWV. Regarding the questions you asked, I haven't sourced any parts yet. I really need the 700R4 for dummy's that you mentioned. I've been searching posts here but I'm still not exactly sure of all the parts I'll need or where to source them. I'd like someone to do this for me so I don't end up in the same shape you are in! Too many projects, too little time. Not only that but if there is a wrong way to do something, I'm going to do it that way first by default. I installed a Luverne brush guard on my M998 last night. Took me like an hour. I first put the tow hooks on upside down, then put them on the wrong sides of the bumper (nut towards mount which causes clearance issues). Struggled with the brush guard lining up the holes for quite a while. I'm not sure why but it seems like every time I go to do something I do it by default the wrong way then eventually figure it out.

Please point me in the right direction. I'm looking for step by step dummies guide to replacing my TH400. Do you have any links to video's located in your research of yours? Thanks.

PS I'm headed your way in April going to Knob Creek Machine gun shoot.

What kind of transfer case do you want to use?