• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source for D60 front bearings/seals

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although my '84 M1028 only has 12,000 miles, I suspect the front bearings and seals are original with 27-year-old grease. So before I strike out on a long trip, I want to go through both hubs and replace all bearings and seals, regardless of condition just for my peace of mind.

Question - where is the best source for these parts? I did a search and spent a considerable amount of time trying to find some related posts, but finally gave up. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Another question - the u-joints in the front axles - while I have the front end tore down, should I also replace these? All the rubber on the rest of the truck was dry-rotted, so I suspect the grease cups on these axle joints are too. Can I pull the axles out and re-install without damaging the inner seals at the differential?

Thanks in advance for comments.

Mike Gresham
Paris, KY

blybrook

I rebuilt a D60 for my F250 last year and was able to get ALL of the parts at local parts houses. You may want the civilian vehicle model number as most houses cannot cross reference the military trucks worth crap. You may even have to go into the books and get the part numbers yourself, so be prepared for that. Most houses have gone to computer inventory and don't keep older vehicles listed. Check with the houses online first before walking in (if possible). Some will price match their online price if it is cheaper there. O'Rielly auto is good for this & Napa online can sometimes be cheaper to order online and pickup in store than getting straight from the store.

I have also ordered parts from rock auto in the past with good success.

As to the shaft question, yes you can pull the shafts without severely damaging the inner seals. They normally get damaged with pulling the shaft out & putting it back, regardless of how careful you are. Especially if they are dry rotted. Is your diff holding a good level of fluid? If so, you may be OK. There are kits available that will provide new seals on the exterior of the axle tubes instead of inside the diff.

Personally, if I'm in the axle ends doing seals / bearings, I'll change out the u-joints just to know that they are good. I will also check the ball joints & tie rod ends at the same time as it is the best time to get at the parts.

Good luck with the rebuild.

sschaefer3

I got all the parts I needed to re-build the entire D60 from Off Road Design, I was ordering anyway and they have all the parts. I also installed an ARB Air Lockers and 35 spline inner and outter, yukons.

Iceman3005

I just purchased all the bearings and all the seals, along with both hub U-joints, and upper king pin bushings from ORD for around 425.00, that was for the torrington bearings that are made in USA, the china bearings and seal kit was 195.00 I think. Torrington bearings are the original bearings that chevy used. Here is there website if you need it Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance. If your pulling the ring gear/spider gear-carrier than you will need a case spreader to remove the carrier, they are about 250-400 dollars depending on the quality you want. ORD is very knowledgeable about the CUCV trucks. ORD does not sell any tools. Randys ring and pinion has them Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services., or Just differentials also has them JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com. Hope that helps.

ODdave

I just purchased all the bearings and all the seals, along with both hub U-joints, and upper king pin bushings from ORD for around 425.00, that was for the torrington bearings that are made in USA, the china bearings and seal kit was 195.00 I think. Torrington bearings are the original bearings that chevy used. Here is there website if you need it Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance. If your pulling the ring gear/spider gear-carrier than you will need a case spreader to remove the carrier, they are about 250-400 dollars depending on the quality you want. ORD is very knowledgeable about the CUCV trucks. ORD does not sell any tools. Randys ring and pinion has them Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services., or Just differentials also has them JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com. Hope that helps.
Factory axles came with Timken bearings, which yes are sold at autozone. There is nothing special about the cucv dana 60 so any auto parts store can get you what you need.

P.S. a case spreader is nice but NOT necessary.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks