• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Source for X-Door Glass?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

The four X-Doors I have a some de-lamination. I have been doing some searching, and it seems that the least costly source for replacement glass to solve the de-lamination issues for all four X-Doors is Federal Military Parts. A set of four Grey Tinted Unframed Replacement Glass Windows and window gaskets is $625 shipped with tax.

Maybe one of you guys have found a better source, perhaps without HMMWV tax?

But I think FMP just has the glass cut by a glass shop due to delivery time? Has anyone used a local auto glass company to cut auto glass instead? If so, what are the exact specifications, thickness ,etc? I guess I can take them one of my old glass panes.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread talking about this problem where they would remove the inner plastic laminate, and the windows were clear. That option would be free. You need to carefully remove the inner plastic laminate and then enjoy your windows. The purpose of that inner plastic laminate is to prevent glass shards, in case of bullet strikes. Unless you are driving in downtown LA, you should not have to worry about glass shards from bullet strikes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for basic or supplemental (5/8” thk)? Size is 20x14 and I plan to get pieces made locally and make sandwiches with silicone pookie around the perimeter to keep water out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If removing the inner protective barrier does not work (did not for me)
I had the local glass house cut them for me out of laminated glass, this would be a good way to go for 3/8" glass, no idea where you would get the 5/8" as I just converted my sup. armor doors to 3/8.
There are several sellers selling plexyglass but I personally would stay away from it.
I would have to measure mine but I believe there are some fractions in there, as to say not exactly 20X14
ANY glass ether needs to be tempered or laminated.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured the last batch I bought and they are 14 1/8" X 20 1/16" these fit perfectly in the 3/8" frames.
I did look and found some sources for tempered 5/8 glass and the prices were way out there, around $3-500 EA.
If you have some cut check into getting some spares, generally they get cheaper each the more you buy.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies. But now I am a bit confused.

• 5/8" thick is called "supplemental". I am thinking this is the "bullet resistant" stuff? I assume there is a special frame and gaskets for that thickness. I do not believe I have that.
  • 3/8" thick is "standard". I would just replace the gaskets when I replace the glass.
I thought all auto glass is two plies of glass with some plastic material between the panes so the glass does not shatter in a million pieces. Regular automotive glass does not normally de-laminate, but what AMG used can delaminate. The plastic material in regular auto glass makes it so if the glass breaks, it is held together and also make it more difficult for people to fly through the glass like in the early cars.

I did not think they used "tempered" glass for auto? Tempered glass resists shattering and is used for things like shower doors. Cars and trucks use auto glass which is two ply with some plastic between to keep glued it together if it shatters.

I assume I have 3/8" thick but I will measure first before doing anything else. I will call around and see if a local glass place can cut me 14 1/8" X 20 1/16" in 3/8" thick.

I don't think I would use Plexiglass. I know for certain race applications, Lexon is used.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only windshield glass is laminated in the auto industry, all side and rear glass is tempered, that is why a side or rear glass shatters into tiny (harmless) pieces when broken.
Since tempered glass is usually much more expensive most just go with laminated on the door glass, of course one would NEVER use regular glass as it would break into large throat, arm, hand etc. cutting pieces when broken.
Most race cars do not sit in the sun or get daily use, I myself would stay away from any "plastic" type windows but that is just me.

Last edited:

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 2 sets made locally at $60 a piece. I am using 1 set only if you are interested. Now, for some reason the laminated is a little wavy as if you are looking through prescription glasses. They are 3/8" I believe. I am going to get them tempered instead I guess.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 2 sets made locally at $60 a piece. I am using 1 set only if you are interested. Now, for some reason the laminated is a little wavy as if you are looking through prescription glasses. They are 3/8" I believe. I am going to get them tempered instead I guess.
That is interesting, the glass I ended up with is perfect, maybe cheap glass? I had eight cut for me this last time and IIRC they were $35 ea.
I ended up reusing the weather stripping, I never found anything that fit correctly and they were not in bad shape.
I will be using two more of the 4 I have left on the DuraVee when I convert to four doors

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is interesting, the glass I ended up with is perfect, maybe cheap glass? I had eight cut for me this last time and IIRC they were $35 ea.
I ended up reusing the weather stripping, I never found anything that fit correctly and they were not in bad shape.
I will be using two more of the 4 I have left on the DuraVee when I convert to four doors
Yep, remember South Florida. Everything down here costs an arm and a leg and quality meeehhh.
I believe who ever laid the resin in between it did not lay correctly.
I will make a new set but this time tempered. Or get a better quality shop. I really would like them to be laminated.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I called around to glass places near me and I was surprised that 3/8" glass, either tempered or laminated seems to be a special order thing, meaning as expensive as ordering it online. Nothing even close to sub $100/window. Maybe they have to order a large sheet to cut up? So much for saving shipping charges and picking it up locally verses online and shipping it.

I did a bit more reading and indeed @Mogman is spot on in that generally speaking, laminate is used on windshields, and laminate is used on side windows. While laminate is supposed to be more expensive than tempered, I found most places were the opposite.

So I decided to just go ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the Federal Military Parts gaskets and glass. That was the cheapest option! At least the windows will now all be the same color, without scratches, and without de-lamination clouding.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I called around to glass places near me and I was surprised that 3/8" glass, either tempered or laminated seems to be a special order thing, meaning as expensive as ordering it online. So much for saving shipping charges and picking it up locally verses online and shipping it.

I did a bit more reading and indeed @Mogman is spot on in that generally speaking, laminate is used on windshields, and laminate is used on side windows. While laminate is supposed to be more expensive than tempered, I found most places were the opposite.

So I decided to just go ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the Federal Military Parts gaskets and glass. That was the cheapest option! At least the windows will now all be the same color, without scratches, and without de-lamination clouding.
On any custom order tempered is always more expensive than laminate, it must be cut first then tempered, most glass houses have no way to temper, laminate can simply be pulled out of stock and cut.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't normal do shout outs but I think Federal Military Parts deserve one for their glass.

I ordered it from Bezos as it was cheaper with shipping than their own web site directly. I ordered on the 24'th and it arrived on the 1st- so shipping from MN to FL in a week over a holiday weekend is outstanding. The glass was extremely well packaged. in a wood crate and multiple cardboard boxes with multiple layers of styrofoam.

The original doors seemed to have a mix of one clear pane, another clear pane that was tinted with aftermarket film, and two grey glass panes. I think the previous owner just bought whatever X-Doors he could find and refinished them and left the whatever glass was in them alone.

The only thing I noticed is the original glass had etched printing in the corner like I have seen in the corners of car side windows. The new glass did not. The labeling on the new glass indicated Corning Glass, made in the USA 🇺🇲

I ordered new gaskets but the old ones looked really good so I reused them.

The rig looks much nicer compared with scratched, cloudy, delaminated glass. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks