• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source of information for a newbie?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to agree with WM, (did I really just say that?); the 900 series is the truck to get at this time.2cents

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was already considering a 939 too. I probably need a CDL to drive that? Are they similar in price?

What I'm looking for is just toughness and size/capacity. I have been into big offroad trucks for years, and currently have a '79 Chevy K5, with 1-ton axles, 44" Swamper Boggers, 590HP big block, etc. I got to thinking, "Why try to beef up these 'little' trucks, when I could just buy a serious truck?". So I'm starting to look at these. I don't care to become a military vehicle "collector", but why steal the Rockwells to put on my "little" truck, instead of just using the big truck outright? I wanted to get a 4x4 Chevy C4500/C5500, but Chevy's medium duty line is out of business.

So what would be some suggestions? A 5-ton cargo? Are they fairly reliable? I don't want to be rebuilding engines every other year. Do people replace the engines with commercial crate motors (e.g. Duramax, CAT, etc.)?

mactiredearg

I have both variants so from experience here are my thoughts.

The A3 is roughly 10mph slower than the A2 despite the taller tires (the A3 14.5s are equal height to 11.00x20s vs the A2 9.00x20s). This is completely due to A3s 4 speed non-overdrive automatic vs the A2s 5 speed overdrive manual.

The A3 does have more power and its noticeable, especially around town. It accelerates faster, holds its speed on hills better and is overall an easier truck to drive. Did I mention it comes standard with air assist steering? A working CTIS setup on an A3 is awesome. Mine hasn't failed yet, but I can see how it would be a major pain when it does. When mine fails I'll probably deactivate the whole thing.

However the A2 is easier to work on and parts are easier to find/cheaper. Its also the more fun truck for me to drive. I've put on radial tires (14.5s front dualed 11s back) and it handles better plus an even better top speed. There is something to the simplicity, durability and plain old manliness of stick shift and manual steering of the biggest tonka toy on the block.

Plus, at least around me, there are places I cannot drive the A3 variant that I can the A2 due to the lower top speed.

I have only sat in a 900 series so I can't speak to the driving/maintenance side of them. However there is some practicality differences. People can argue all day about whether a Deuce (2 1/2 ton series) or even a 900 series requires a CDL or not. Should you for either? Sure. But the 900 is a LOT closer to (read over) the definition by weight and brake design and is more likely to cause questions/issues if you are ever stopped without a CDL. Plus by sheer weight the 900 series will push or break the boundaries of most municipal ordinances. Not to mention registration limitations in most states.

Here in Colorado I have registered my Deuces as collector vehicle (unlimited use) and recreational truck (also unlimited). But the 900 series automatically has to jump to the more expensive GVW plate or the restricted collector truck plates.

The 900s look like great trucks. I'd love one myself. But its not like choosing between an F150 and F250. The differences are more significant, especially when taking legal definitions into account.

Not saying which to get because your situation is what determines or limits which you should get. Hate to sound like a broken record, but do your research. And then do some more. Don't just read these blogs but also check whatever laws and ordnances apply to you. Nothing is worse than picking out your favorite truck only to find out you cannot register it or keep it at your place.

Also, check around for collectors around you locally. Pick their brains for rules/laws. And see if they will let you crawl around their trucks or take you for a ride. Test drives will answer a lot of questions.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, check around for collectors around you locally. Pick their brains for rules/laws. And see if they will let you crawl around their trucks or take you for a ride. Test drives will answer a lot of questions.
You may not have noticed, but YOU are my local collector to pick the brain of, haha. I'm just north, by Longmont!

Do we have a military vehicle club, or something, around here?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Roebuck

From another newbie thank you for starting this thread, you ask a lot of the same questions that I was wondering about myself. A quick question for the experts though how difficult (possible at all?) would it be to put an automatic on a mult-fuel? Also did M109's have a multi-fuel option or are they just straight diesel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks