• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best tie down point locations for cargo control for a m101(a2) trailer

hplacess

hi.

I have a m101a2 trailer that I am looking to configure to haul cargo (on occasion).

I am looking for ideas, from people with experience, for the best 'tie down point locations', and hardware, for 'general' cargo control. pics would be great.

I have been looking (and searching forums) for a while, but before I buy anything and start drilling I thought I would ask people with experience what works and what does not work (hardware and mount point locations).

Now I know that the best tie down point locations might be unique for the type of load I am looking to carry, but I am looking for a 'general' approach that allows me to tie down just about anything (within limits, I know).

Some examples might be (though not necessarily all at the same time):

multiple nato style gas cans
multiple nato style water containers
helping someone move their furniture
wood from home depot - sheets or boards
tires/wheels
miscellaneous building supplies
boxes
off road recovery gear
kayaks
etc.

Thanks in advance

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I looked for pics, can't find any right now. I put it about an inch from the top rail all around except fpr the tailgate.

In all fairness, I found some box tube to put under the lip around the outside top of the trailer, I ran the screws into that for strength. I used the front "A" frame area as an anchor for my come-a-longs and pulled heavy crap in the bed that way. The trailer sheet metal showed it was flexing, so that was why I put the tube under the lip. I plan on putting some on the floor, but have yet to get to that mod.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found at a truck stop, I think Petro but hazy memory a lighter & shorter version of a locking load bar maybe $25. These are used alot in dry 18 wheeler vans to keep loads/pallets from shifting. It is bar with 2 feet with rubber pads and one side has a ratchet to make it expand tight.

Perfect for wedging cargo in the m101 tight. Just right length and strength. I think a standard bar would be way too long.

harleyhouse

Most of the junk I haul fits under the cover, when I do have items higher than the lip I just use heavy duty ratchet straps hooked to the cover hooks or lift rings.
I have a rack for kayaks and hauling longer loads. As for gear I keep my table, ez up, stove, chairs at the front held from sliding around with a tailgate net from a full size truck. It is removable for longer items.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

I forgot about that, for bulky items I use a load-tamer cargo net. I have several and wouldn't part with any of them! What a great addition to have.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I haven't done this myself, but Gimp's e-track thing is awesome. I love that stuff.

If you want to keep it stock, you can add the military cargo tie downs, although it's a lot more work. I saw a 105 on GL like 10 years ago that had had the tie downs installed, so you can claim it's something the military did, albeit rarely.

tobyS

I'm another believer in Chris's cargo net. And with it he uses what I think is called a climbing carabinder...a clip that lets it be tightened or let out, depending on the load size.

Look at the lifting eyes on a 105 and do similar, maybe smaller...and more of them.

gimpyrobb

The "beaners" came with the cargo net system.

A search on egay of 23243777262 should bring up some info. Stonepicker here on the site had some a while back.

hplacess

Thanks for sharing all of the great ideas.

Here is what I came up with.

I found some nice d-rings on etrailer that were not too big and not too small:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Anchors/Brophy/SR15-C.html

I found attachment hardware at Lowes.

Total cost was about $4.25 per attachment point (3/8" hardware).

I have:
1 attachment point in each of the 4 corners of the floor.
2 attachment points mid way by the wheel wells on the floor.
The rest of the attachment points are around the top. I installed the top mounted attachment point sideways so that both bolts are closer to the squared top of the bed (for strength and to help prevent flexing of the sheetmetal), and so that the hardware is not visible from the outside (I like the original clean look of the box).

I zip-tied the front load containment extension (not sure what to call it, the removable pieces) to the left side load containment extension so that I can reduce wind drag when i do not need it to contain a high load. But, if I need to use it I just cut the zip-ties and put the extension in place.

I found that the spare tire fits perfectly in the front right space between the wheel well and the front of the trailer inside of the box. One of the attachment points there is a perfect place to attach a cam-buckle strap or ratchet strap to hold the wheel in place. I will post a pic once I have that tire in place.

view up the middle:

20171022_105632.jpg

view of the left side:

20171022_105556.jpg

view of the right side:

20171022_105612.jpg

view of the hardware:

20171018_170710.jpg

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like your ready for about any cargo.

Some tan carc spraypainted on those and it will look almost factory.

tobyS

Looks good!!! Handy!!

In my pick-up I use short pieces 24" of chain permanently attached at the front so I can bring it up and not have to fight the load reaching down.

i could see having them on the outside also, where the fender washers are located (instead of the washers use another d-ring). Have fun!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks