• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way for me to buy a deuce?

paulfarber

I would only consider a 'private purchase' if they drove the thing to me.

I kinda have to ask why people think that private sale vehicles are babied and cared for? YOU may baby yours, but there are plenty of people neglecting theirs, or abusing it (all those mudding videos on youtube) or thinking its an MV and can do anything!

Its a common issue with jeeps. Guys still think that these 70 year old MVs can off road like they did in the Army. The Army had an unlimited supply of parts. You have to pay for yours.

Its easy enough to find out the current price of an M35.. they are sold every week. With a modicum or planning on your part you preview and bid, and if you win even shipping it home you still come out $2-3K ahead. That's a lot of money in my book that you are putting into your truck for parts, not some flippers pocket.

With your limited budget and that fact that you will be blowing your wad on an overpriced private sale, what tools do you have? Can you put $150+ of diesel in the tanks? Do you have 3/4 or 1 inch drive sockets? They are wicked expensive. I can list $1k in tools just to keep a deuce parked in a driveway.

Even your winch truck will need chain falls, and snatch blocks and pulleys. Ever price a 20,000lb snatch block? You can be $500 into snatch blocks, chains and pulleys before you ever get stuck.

I may be open to more 'risk' but I looked for over 1 year at trucks from flippers (no title? no deal!) and private sales (a heater does not make your truck worth $4500) and went with an auction truck.

$1650 total. Even if the thing gets hit by a meteor I still have enough 'left over' to get 1, or even two more trucks.

biodeucel

So, GL might be worth it if I can get a truck that is in decent shape, but have money left over to cover potential problems?

Is there a good thread about how GL works? I've poked about on the site before and looked at some trucks, but I never see any being bid on; the auctions are never currently in progress. What's up with that?

M-35A3

Each item on GL has a open and close time , read the info on item to find out when it opens/closes

3dAngus

1. Buy some books. Your college education is the best single investment you will ever make.
2. Forget about the deuce. A few more years isn't going to hurt you. It's not like you're going to be able to park it on campus.
3. Save your money for a homeplace. When you get a place of your own to park it, and work on it, you deserve it. Not before.

biodeucel

1. Buy some books. Your college education is the best single investment you will ever make.

My budget will be based on what I make minus $2k for books (I spent $1500 on books between fall and spring semesters) and minus money for gas and other expenses.

2. Forget about the deuce. A few more years isn't going to hurt you. It's not like you're going to be able to park it on campus.

I can't. It will. My school has no limitations on how many vehicles you can register, and I know one other kid has an M37, so I don't think it will be an issue. Also, the club I am a member of has a shop that it will fit in, air tools, and other members who would be willing to help me fix stuff. Compare that to paying off a house, working full time, not to mention a girlfriend/wife. It would be easier for me now to figure out how to fix stuff when I have friends to help me and tools at my disposal.

M-35A3

my school has no limitations on how many vehicles you can register, and I know one other kid has an M37, so I don't think it will be an issue.
A M35a2/a3 is alot bigger than a M37 . like others posted a page back check one out test drive one and go from there . It would be a real pain if you got one and couldn't park it somewhere due to length/weight.

( I was the same age as you when i bought my first deuce getting something this big takes alot of patience and rushing in without researching the possibilities wont turn out well )

Last edited:

biodeucel

You're right. I really should test drive one first, I just don't know anyone that has one. I guy in my neighborhood used to have one parked in front of his house from time to time, but I haven't seen it in a while and I would feel weird just calling and asking to drive his truck :/ .

littlebob

I think all of the members here want you to get your Deuce and also have a great experience. Don't get the fever so bad that you overlook the long term costs of owning and maintaining one. These
trucks are old and will require ongoing expenditures to keep them rolling. Just make sure you won't
get to a point where you have a broken Deuce and no cash to keep it rolling. A disabled Deuce is worth scrap value.

197thhhc

Here is my 2 cents. Before you buy one (and I think you should) get to know some members from this site near you. Spend time helping them work on their trucks. Really familiarize yourself with them. When you do go to look at a deuce, take a member with you. When people get excited about buying some thing they get out their rose colored glasses and miss the flaws. Someone experianced can give you an unbiased opinion. You could probably bribe a member with lunch and be good to go. I think it should be our job as experianced MV owners to help mentor newbies and then one day you can mentor someone else.

Yohan

Face it guys, the young man has the fever. Let's help him out as best we can without getting him in trouble! :-D

If you get around my way this summer after the salt is off the road and I'm around, I'd be happy to let you kick my tires and go for a ride. I don't know you well enough yet to let you drive it! :p

I can't. It will. My school has no limitations on how many vehicles you can register, and I know one other kid has an M37, so I don't think it will be an issue. Also, the club I am a member of has a shop that it will fit in, air tools, and other members who would be willing to help me fix stuff. Compare that to paying off a house, working full time, not to mention a girlfriend/wife. It would be easier for me now to figure out how to fix stuff when I have friends to help me and tools at my disposal.

yak50pilot

If a buyer wanted me to drive my truck 500 or a 1,000 miles I would tell them to pound sand! Do not expect this from a seller. Also that is not an indication that it won't make either. When you drive one you will understand it. You could expect the seller to help load it if needed. Or you come get it. About an hour or two is all most people can take. It is like riding on a lumber wagon. Except less comfortable. Anyone expecting for the owner to deliver it is a pinhead. Good luck and don't let people discourage you from your dreams.

oddshot

You're right. I really should test drive one first, I just don't know anyone that has one. I guy in my neighborhood used to have one parked in front of his house from time to time, but I haven't seen it in a while and I would feel weird just calling and asking to drive his truck :/ .
Like I said ... try looking M35's up on for sale on Craig's List.

Its JUST like girls ... don't fall in love and marry the first one you see.

Look over a LOT of them ... maybe drive a couple. Take your time.

Just don't take your wallet outta your pocket.

oddshot

Unforgiven

Let me start with a little background about myself. I am 19 and am a student of mechanical engineering at a private university in upstate NY.

Option #1
Since you are mechanically inclined, don't worry about the condition of the truck. Have a POS delivered to your house and rebuild it from the frame up as a hobby.

Option #2
Use the $3K that you have right now. Forget about working in the summer. Instead, take a full load of summer school classes. Graduate a semester or two early. Use your early jump start into the engineering world to quickly save up for a Deuce.

Option #3
Put a standard lift kit (Rancho, Rough Country etc), larger tires, and ARB's in the Tundra & call it good for a few years.

paulfarber

If a buyer wanted me to drive my truck 500 or a 1,000 miles I would tell them to pound sand! Do not expect this from a seller. Also that is not an indication that it won't make either. When you drive one you will understand it. You could expect the seller to help load it if needed. Or you come get it. About an hour or two is all most people can take. It is like riding on a lumber wagon. Except less comfortable. Anyone expecting for the owner to deliver it is a pinhead. Good luck and don't let people discourage you from your dreams.
I don't mind driving it. I think the dumbest thing they did to the M35 was move the exhaust up by the cab (but it works well for fording). My CCKW is much more tiring (I live in the Appalachian Mts in PA) and the 270 really keeps you busy double clutching for the hills. An M35 has a lot more torque/hp than a gas 270 and it really takes a toll on you.

As for not driving it to a seller, that's why I didn't buy from a private seller. They CLAIM the truck is good to go, but never prove it or guarantee it. Then try to charge for it knowing full well those words are not worth the paper (or advertisement) its written on.

As posted previously.. how many deuces do we hear about that are purchased private sale, break down, but we never hear about it? GL purchasers complain all the time the truck was not as marked (and GL even warns you that the listing is most likely wrong, incorrect, and to PREVIEW). Yet if people see an add of the SAME GL TRUCK (with the markings still on it!) with the words 'good runner' or some other jibba-jabber its a good deal at twice or three times the cost?

I'd rather go in knowing full well that I am paying MY price (via auction) for a truck. That was I have funds for the repairs that, as some point, will be needed. As opposed to a private sale of a truck with the same unknown issues, but sucks up all my money leaving nothing left for repairs.

At a MINIMUM you are throwing away $1000 on a private sale truck that JUST CAME OFF THE GL LOT. That's a lot of parts, diesel, or beer money.

91W350

I once drove a truck 450 miles to a buyer in the Dallas area. He rejected it based on an issue I had told him about, bed damage on a pickup, taken photos of and discounted the truck accordingly. I sent him video of the truck running and photos of about everything on the truck. It was exactly as described. It was a long 450 miles there and a longer 450 miles home. I was out a very long day and fuel money/road expenses for 900 plus miles. It is hard to strike a long distance deal. As a buyer you hate to pay for one without title and truck in hand, but as a seller, you hate to be in my shoes. Since then, I will deliver pre-paid or they can come and get it. Glen