• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way for me to buy a deuce?

paulfarber

I once drove a truck 450 miles to a buyer in the Dallas area. He rejected it based on an issue I had told him about, bed damage on a pickup, taken photos of and discounted the truck accordingly. I sent him video of the truck running and photos of about everything on the truck. It was exactly as described. It was a long 450 miles there and a longer 450 miles home. I was out a very long day and fuel money/road expenses for 900 plus miles. It is hard to strike a long distance deal. As a buyer you hate to pay for one without title and truck in hand, but as a seller, you hate to be in my shoes. Since then, I will deliver pre-paid or they can come and get it. Glen
Did you ask for a non refundable deposit to cover fuel? You pay a delivery/origination fee on every new car you buy. The dealer doesn't pay to get the car to the lot, the buyer (you) does.

"Knowledge is the result of research, planning, and execution. Experience is what you get when you don't." - Me

2deuce

I think the expectation of the seller to deliver is over the top. Treat a deuce like any other vehicle purchase, drive it, compare it to others, weigh all the pluses and minuses. With a private party sale it is much easier to do all of the above. I have bought from GL and private. With GL, you really should preview, I say that but I have bought from them without doing so. Preview will help but only tell you so much. GL is a hassle, a private sale should be smooth and easy, if it isn't walk away. As far as value goes the buyers set it. People trying to flip their GL purchase ultimately take the risk, because you the buyer are going to pay what the truck is really worth. Whether they make money on your purchase or lose should be of no concern to you. Just don't take their word for anything, completely check it out. As with any used vehicle don't expect a guarantee. I'm going to be selling a deuce soon, I'll price it fair, but don't expect me to deliver. I bought mine years ago when they were harder to come by, and paid more than I will be asking. Good luck, I say buy it now, if you wait for the perfect time it will never come.

paulfarber

Paying $4000+ for a $1500 truck deserves SOME sort of 'added service'.

Get a non-refunable deposit. Solves all your problems.

I would meet a buyer a reasonable distance to deliver a truck. Your truck either makes its and the buyer is a happy camper or you learn that your truck is not a 'good runner' as you thought.

Guy on this site just payed $4000+ for a truck no title and no spare tire. How well did the seller 'go over' the truck and MISS A SPARE TIRE?

yak50pilot

I don't mind driving it. I think the dumbest thing they did to the M35 was move the exhaust up by the cab (but it works well for fording). My CCKW is much more tiring (I live in the Appalachian Mts in PA) and the 270 really keeps you busy double clutching for the hills. An M35 has a lot more torque/hp than a gas 270 and it really takes a toll on you.

As for not driving it to a seller, that's why I didn't buy from a private seller. They CLAIM the truck is good to go, but never prove it or guarantee it. Then try to charge for it knowing full well those words are not worth the paper (or advertisement) its written on.

As posted previously.. how many deuces do we hear about that are purchased private sale, break down, but we never hear about it? GL purchasers complain all the time the truck was not as marked (and GL even warns you that the listing is most likely wrong, incorrect, and to PREVIEW). Yet if people see an add of the SAME GL TRUCK (with the markings still on it!) with the words 'good runner' or some other jibba-jabber its a good deal at twice or three times the cost?

I'd rather go in knowing full well that I am paying MY price (via auction) for a truck. That was I have funds for the repairs that, as some point, will be needed. As opposed to a private sale of a truck with the same unknown issues, but sucks up all my money leaving nothing left for repairs.

At a MINIMUM you are throwing away $1000 on a private sale truck that JUST CAME OFF THE GL LOT. That's a lot of parts, diesel, or beer money.
First: I'm assuming that the young man has a father to give him all of the buy books and wait advice and worldly advice he needs. He came here for advice on buying a duce. I think he made up his mind and we should focus on just that.

Second: If he is an engineering student he is not stupid. I have found that idiots out there bid these trucks way up past their worth on GL. The A3s are the worst. I'm sure he is smart enough to tell if it is a flip. I drove a Jaguar in college and for every hour i drove it I had to work on it for 5 hours. I look back on those days with no regret. I wish I coud do it all over. Not every private sale is a bad one.

Third: GL sucks! You have wait forever for the EUC to clear if they don't loose it!

Fourth: If a person owns a duce for a couple of years you can tell. if they put a new top on it and sandblasted the frame Bobbed and so on. Spin on oil filters.
This is all things he would be able to tell.

I disagree I won't drive my truck to a buyer if they want it they can come get it. The though that they should is just plain retarded! If they wont come look at it then they are just wasting my time. Wanting me to deliver it is really waisting my time too.

Last edited:

2deuce

Remember this is not a new car purchase even if it is new to you. The dealer has never paid me to bring my car to them when I trade it in. If you buy from a dealer expect to pay a premium, whether they are a good dealer and inspect everything from the ground up before they sell it or hang a forsale sign out 10 minutes after they get it. Dealers get reputations, if you buy from a dealer, make sure they are reputable. Often their markup reflects their ability to finance and that is all.

3dAngus

Being an engineering student means you're smart, not that you are mature, or will make rational decisions. He is making a bad decision. He needs to make a good decision. He has no business buying a deuce if he is a student. Finish college, get a job, then get a deuce. That is the best advice anyone could possibly give him.

I'm not into helping people make bad decisions.

2deuce

If somebody is flipping the truck, the fact that they don't know its history is the main concern, but you shouldn't rely on anyones word anyway. Know the truck to your satisfaction before you hand over your money. Don't make the seller come part way, non refundable deposits, or any other junk like that. It complicate the sale. You want it to go smooth, that is the main reason to stay away from GL. You are buying a truck, concentrate on the truck. The misleading fact that often is overlooked is that GL gets far more than they really should. That may be my opinion, but buyers very often bid those trucks up because of want and the belief that if it looks good in the picture, it also runs and drives good too. The real value isn't known until they get their hands on it. I think they get overbid more often than not, then GL gets blamed for their policies, when they really should have bid with GL's policies at the forefront.

emr

My advice would be to save your money and finish school. These vehicles have many other expenses involved: Insurance, fuel, parts and service. The purchase price is only the start.
I have seen many threads by guys that bought a truck by the skin of their teeth, only to find it to be burdensome. They then come back here to cry on our shoulders and they end up with a sour taste in there mouth, for our hobby.
ABOVE ... BEST advise ever..... [thumbzup] You know U can put really big tires on em too, and most people will give em to U on this site also, if u ask really nice,just incase U have no money :) They make GREAT daily drivers ! and well are comfortable and quiet and need absolutely no maintenance :) hey they are mostly like 30 year old tactical trucks, So I would figure if U had 3000 $ and bought one for 3000$ you would be just fine, Oh also when U need to bring it home , just ask a guy on this site and they will do it for U, Now MOST of this is KIDDING ! but at the same time so sadly true ... Since u are asking I am sure U can handle it straight, good luck, Wasn't there a kid who was going to buy one to deliver pizzas in it ? remember that one, [thumbzup] And sooooo are there any classes on like how to set up a budget plan in your schoolin? just askin because it may start with a list of all the costs u would need to have a basic vehicle then go to the computer and look up some MV shows U may be able to attend, and go see some and watch em drive, and ask a bunch of questions, Good luck, :) not to deter, just being realistic .......

yak50pilot

You people have no idea of what his financial situation really is. His parents could be wealthy for all you know. It seems he has done the math on the money. The life lessons should be saved for the life lessons.com site.

The only thing I would question is his taste in pick up trucks. But I digress. I'm not sure what type engineer he is going to be but if it is auto related then this could be good for him to learn on. God knows we don't need another idiot engineer in the auto industry that knows nothing about cars and trucks as we have an endless supply of them now.

Let him get his feet wet and save the father knows best for black and white re-runs on TV. At least we can change the Chanel with that.:p

FormerNewMVGuy

Yeah there is no lack of B.S. post on here lately..... I f I was a new member walking into this crap, I wouldn't stay very long....

Every other thread lately has been either useless or negative! I think it makes it look bad for all of us here :rant:

Being honest is not being negative. I think most of the problem, and the B.S., comes from people jumping all over the opinions of others, rather than adressing the issue at hand.
Once again the answers to the OP could have been found in many previous threads. The guy instead opted to ask an open question, and may not have gotten all of the answers that he wanted.
Just as with any advice, you need to sort the good from the bad. This needs to be done by the bystanders too, nobody needs to get bent out of shape over a little free advice, it's not personal.

FormerNewMVGuy

My opinion wasnt just directed at this post but the site in general.
Being honest and being nasty are two different things, Yes there are a million questions asked here, that have already been answered, But the last few days ,I feel there have been many nasty responses to some of those questions....
I dunno maybe it is time to start droppin the hammer around here, But maybe we could at least try to keep the threads on track....2cents

91W350

I took on many projects over the years I probably could not afford. Maybe going out less and partying less did me some good. I may have not been able to drive a couple of them for three or four years, but eventually I got there. I managed to make it into my 50's with no arrests, more than I can say for a lot of my classmates. The deuce probably will not cost as much as defending one DUI. If he has figured out a way to pay for a truck, cash money, I say go for it and enjoy the lessons learned.... I had a GMC 6x6 when I was his age. We managed to keep it rolling and used it to haul hay. Eventually I sold it running to a rancher who ran it until dead feeding cattle in rough weather. It may still be parked out there for all I know. Glen

Tlauden

Yeah there is no lack of B.S. post on here lately..... I f I was a new member walking into this crap, I wouldn't stay very long....

Every other thread lately has been either useless or negative! I think it makes it look bad for all of us here :rant:
Not to go off topic here but being a new guy myself to this particular forum but a member of others i know first hand new people can be a PITA sometimes. Especially the ones who join to ask a question, then never show there face again after that question is answered... I dont think the negative comments are making everyone look bad here, its just people showing there frustration with the constant basic questions that with a little reading you'll find the answer your looking for. i for one am very glad i found this site and am looking forward to being an active member here and sharing info. New folks just need to read before posting and not take offense to the negative comments they might receive at first.:rant:

back to the original post though,

I say if you want a deuce, get the one you want that has those options but be prepared to pay a little more from a private seller, or take your chances with GL, or get one without those options and as you get more money do what you want to it. Sounds like you have a pretty good shop at your disposal which will be helpful for your repairs if you go the GL route. Best of luck to ya, and keep us posted on what you do.

oddshot

My opinion wasnt just directed at this post but the site in general.

Being honest and being nasty are two different things, Yes there are a million questions asked here, that have already been answered, But the last few days, I feel there have been many nasty responses to some of those questions....
Ask a simple question ...

... get six pages of LIFE advice.

And talk about SOME posts being nasty?

You would have thought he asked how to change the spark plugs.

Over the top? Maybe just a little.

oddshot

biodeucel

So, in regards to the original question, basically what I'm hearing is:

- GL sucks because there is a 1 in 4 chance of getting a truck with something seriously wrong with it. I take it when you go to "preview" the trucks at auction you don't get to start them up and run down everyone else on the base :smile:

- Private sales suck because you will pay more for a truck that might have the same or more things wrong with it than a GL truck.

What I'm thinking based on this is that I should wait until I have some money saved up, then start looking at trucks. Don't marry the first one I see, oh wait...

Like I said before (I think), I am reasonably close to Fort Drum, so if there were some GL listings there that looked promising I could go check them out, but if you can't verify that the most important components of the vehicle work (engine, tranny, transfer case, diffs), you're still making a gamble. Plus the paperwork is a PITA. I would only consider that route if I could get the truck I want for a very good price so that the leftovers can be used to potential repairs.

I will definitely take my time and not buy a truck just because I'm impatient. I will definitely wait and get the one I want. This still has to go through my parents, but hopefully I will be more successful that when I tried to convince them to let me get one as a daily driver a few years ago. I know, I'll just tell them I want a motorcycle first...

oddshot

The voice of reason in the storm ...

Good post kid ...[thumbzup]

You'll do just fine!

If there's anything we can do ... don't hesi ....

Well ... maybe you should do a search first. :roll:

oddshot

91W350

I like the motorcycle line, the happiest day of my mother's life was the day I sold mine. 8) If you need anything from Kansas, let me know. This is not the place to buy a deuce though, Riley deuces bring a premium price! Glen

mikey

So, in regards to the original question, basically what I'm hearing is:

- GL sucks because there is a 1 in 4 chance of getting a truck with something seriously wrong with it. I take it when you go to "preview" the trucks at auction you don't get to start them up and run down everyone else on the base :smile:

- Private sales suck because you will pay more for a truck that might have the same or more things wrong with it than a GL truck.

What I'm thinking based on this is that I should wait until I have some money saved up, then start looking at trucks. Don't marry the first one I see, oh wait...

Like I said before (I think), I am reasonably close to Fort Drum, so if there were some GL listings there that looked promising I could go check them out, but if you can't verify that the most important components of the vehicle work (engine, tranny, transfer case, diffs), you're still making a gamble. Plus the paperwork is a PITA. I would only consider that route if I could get the truck I want for a very good price so that the leftovers can be used to potential repairs.

I will definitely take my time and not buy a truck just because I'm impatient. I will definitely wait and get the one I want. This still has to go through my parents, but hopefully I will be more successful that when I tried to convince them to let me get one as a daily driver a few years ago. I know, I'll just tell them I want a motorcycle first...
GL doesn't suck... you're just taking your chances... I got two deuces for a great price... both are runners but both need work... you will read about guys who bid without previewing and wind up with a little bit of forklift love and a damaged drive shaft or oil pan... you will read about guys who win bids on trucks with a hole in the engine or bad tranny... if you can preview the truck, that is great, but still not a guarantee the truck will make it home 50 miles... my lower radiator hose busted on the drive home... one truck was topless and started spitting out steam from the tranny (clearly i need to remove the water from the tranny)... no gauges on either truck, no parking break on one, no spare tire on one, clutch slipping on one, intermittent headlights on one, the list goes on and on with the repairs ill need to do... however, im fine with that... i bought cheap so i could fix them up at my pace and my budget...

buying private does not have to suck... there are guys out there who flip trucks... they buy from gl, add $1500 to the price and sell it as is... then when you drive 3 hours to see the trucks your told itll be an extra $500 for title... that sucks... there are guys that tear the trucks down and rebuild everything, thats great but you're budget better be 5 times higher than what you posted... then there are also guys out there who will give you a great runner at a fair price... but finding an honest seller can be as much a crap shoot as bidding on gl...

whatever you do, the one thing everyone who has purchased a deuce can agree on is that you better plan for a contingency budget in addition to your purchase price... if its a gl purchase, id say $1k extra in your budget for the unexpected... if you bid on gl then find out the truck is not a runner, figure $4.50 a loaded mile to have it shipped... and before i get flamed by the $1.75 or $2.50 a loaded mile preachers, i just went through this three weeks ago... not only was i getting over $4 a loaded mile, even from eric at hotshots, but in the end i couldnt find a single carrier or broker to move my deuces in the two week time frame gl gave me... i recovered them myself with the help of paulfarber...

if you buy privately, you may not need $1k in budget, but you better still have a fair chunk of change put aside...

i did my gl recovery with my f150 trailing with antifreeze, dot5, gear oil, engine oil, diesel fuel, belts, 1 lower radiator hose, and 30 feet of bulk radiator hose in various sizes for the entire truck... i easily spent $500 on just those materials... regardless of whether you go gl or private, what happens if you break down on the way home? you know how much a wrecker will cost you?

my advice, its free so take it or leave it, would be to shop around for sellers that people here trust... get some prices from those sellers, then follow some bids on gl to see what deuces there sell for... then take that difference in cost between the two and weigh it against the risk of the unknown at gl compared to a safer purchase, but still with no guarantee, from a trusted private seller... add $500 to either price for the unknown... then see where you feel comfortable...

i can recommend ken from kublos surpluss in Brackney, PA... i also discussed buying a deuce with winch from sephirothq (page 1) for a fair price... see if he still has that for sale...

if your parents say no, pm me i can stop by when youre not home with my cbr1000rr and thell them you contacted me through craigs list about buying my bike... ill be sure to brag about the mods i did to get that 440lb 186hp beast up to 200mph...

good luck and welcome to the fever...

Last edited:

biodeucel

I'm definitely leaning towards a private sale now that I've read up on some of the info on the GL website. It really sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth for someone in my situation. I want to learn how to fix these trucks and keep them running, but not on the side of I-90.