• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to clean tarp cargo cover?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any of you have experience cleaning the black mold spots from a tan cover? I have had mine about 3 years and pressure washing helps a lot but does not remove everything. I tried spraying with Mean Green and lightly scrubbing with a tire brush, but that didn't get it all either. What about something like Tilex?

2017-03-25 16.32.58.jpg

DrillerSurplus

Yeah that's true. Similar thinking to what I had in mind with Tilex. I may try a small spot and see.
I spend a lot of time in Seattle-we get pretty good at removing mildew here in the Pacific Northwest. I've used bleach (Clorox) for years on colored canvas table umbrellas that are not nearly as stout as the military covers. I remember reading the Tilex label and thinking bleach was the main active ingredient.
The bleach solution doesn't have to be very strong to remove the mold/mildew and the mild solution doesn't do much damage to the fabric or colors.
Like Suprman recommends, I use a pretty soft brush to wet down an area and let it soak for just a few minutes, then when I come back it doesn't take much scrubbing at all.
Usually rinse with a hose to finish & remove bleach (and find the spots I've missed).

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I tried Tilex. Just spraying and waiting did nothing. If I scrub also then it definitely got rid of a lot of it. I only had time to test a small area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks