• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best way to level 1986 m1009

cucvrus

I have my Crown of Thorns M1009 updated with stabilitrack , clean idle, anti lock brakes, DEF fluid tank and particulate burner and all I wanted to do was change the fan belts. Go figure I had to lazer the concrete slab I was working on, read my horoscope, change the motor mounts, torque the flex-plate and do a disc brake conversion on the rear axle. But the belts fit perfect, the stars are all lined up with Venus, I have 100 gallons of DEF and a 200 psi windshield washer with twin heaters and a turbo. All in a days work. And my fist fits in one side of the frame and only 3 knuckles in the other side. So I guess my frame is still bent. Goes down the road straight and casts a long shadow at sun down. So all is well. Peace man.

reaper556

I have my Crown of Thorns M1009 updated with stabilitrack , clean idle, anti lock brakes, DEF fluid tank and particulate burner and all I wanted to do was change the fan belts. Go figure I had to lazer the concrete slab I was working on, read my horoscope, change the motor mounts, torque the flex-plate and do a disc brake conversion on the rear axle. But the belts fit perfect, the stars are all lined up with Venus, I have 100 gallons of DEF and a 200 psi windshield washer with twin heaters and a turbo. All in a days work. And my fist fits in one side of the frame and only 3 knuckles in the other side. So I guess my frame is still bent. Goes down the road straight and casts a long shadow at sun down. So all is well. Peace man.
You forgot to replace the canooter valve and top off the blinker fluid ;)

I thought we all knew that when that valve lets loose and takes out the muffler bearings you can only get a few knuckles in instead of a whole fist

Last edited:

cucvrus

All in Fun My friend. I drove my little Mule M1009 to an auction today. They had lots of Chevrolet truck parts and a few old oddities. I bought a right door from an old truck for hanging on my barn.DSCF7654.jpgDSCF7655.jpgI did the research I know what it is for. I think it is cool and wanted it. Anyone want to guess what it is for? I seen the prices of the fenders and body panels that were still in the GM boxes. Now I know mine are worth a few dollars more. these boxes were wet and the black wash prime parts were a wee bit rusty. The doors were sad new in GM box but wet on bottom for years. This place had Studebaker parts new and a lot of Dodge power wagon parts. The door that fir the CUCV brought $500. and the bed side was $900 2 tailgate were $500. each and the bed was an 8 ft from a 1987 it was bright yellow and had the gate it brought $1200. It said Fuel Injected on the gate. that is how i knew what year it came from. I could not get pictures during the sale but i bought a Cuckoo clock and a few other things.

cucvrus

Recovry4x4 the Goodyear Duratrak tires make your truck look BA. I have Goodyear's on all my CUCV's. I like The 31 x 10.5 x 15 Goodyear MTR Kevlar the best on the M1009's and the LT23585R16 Duratraks on everything else. i have a set of 225/75R16 Duratraks on the rear of a dual rear wheeled service van at work. Best tire for all around traction I have found. And the side wall tread just makes it look the part on the CUCV. Good choice it tires IMHO. Just wanted to mention it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rick. My truck is down with no oil pressure right now but it didn't stop my from putting on the 4 new Duratracs on the back. Honestly, I had never seen this tire until you mentioned it. After looking into them, the reviews were incredible. Now that I live where snow is probable each year, I felt this was the best tire. Thanks for the heads up. Will post pics tomorrow.

cucvrus

Waste of a lot of good parts. But it is definite option for leveling. I used to like it when people scrapped their cars/trucks and drove them into the yard and they were basically scrap. I could run them thru the crusher while the engine was still hot. 10 minutes from the road to the scrap pile. I had a to crush a 1975 Oldsmobile ninety eight wagon and after it came out of the crusher the radio was playing. And of all the songs it played George Thorogood Bad to the Bone. My Son was there and I was glad. It sent a chill down my spine. I was looking for the mouldings to start vibrating. True story. Have a great day.

Skinny

OK, so usual suspects writing paragraphs of useless ramblings that really offer no assistance...

To the OP, did you take any measurements or photos so someone here can actually steer you in the right direction?

cucvrus

Oh I think his steering is in the right direction. Counter clock wise is left and clock wise is right. He is having issues with a 30 year old truck not sitting level. I think he is going to get his concrete slab leveled and he will report back. First things first. No need to rush it has been leaning this long. What about the usual suspect's? Are you canvasing the area looking for leads? All in all I think he has received good sound advise. He probably went to an alignment shop and had a professional look at it. That's what people do. Really measuring with fists and knuckles? You are getting all torqued over this? Maybe Bingo or knitting would suit you better. This is a hobby lay down your arms and relax. Have a great day. It seems the man (OP) has it under control.

Skinny

A two inch difference in one area you will easily be able to see with a tape or using your hand. Again, not building race cars here. You specifically have a tendency to write giant paragraphs filled mostly with 99% nonsense and maybe 1% of help.

You can have a professional look at it but again, a simple tape measure in the right application will tell you everything. I'm not sure where the small group of tards here went into concrete slab dimensions and laser beams.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/images/frame.gif

rustystud

A two inch difference in one area you will easily be able to see with a tape or using your hand. Again, not building race cars here. You specifically have a tendency to write giant paragraphs filled mostly with 99% nonsense and maybe 1% of help.

You can have a professional look at it but again, a simple tape measure in the right application will tell you everything. I'm not sure where the small group of tards here went into concrete slab dimensions and laser beams.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/images/frame.gif
Really "Turds" ? Porkysplace mentioned his concrete business which uses Laser levels which is very interesting. Before that cucvrus and myself mentioned that he would be better served going and getting the frame checked out by a shop with the proper equipment to help "pinpoint" any problems. Very good advice, far superior to your "use your hands" advice. But if that is all your used too then use your hands ! I prefer better ways myself ;) !

Skinny

So you are telling me that if I slam my hand above the frame rail and under the body panel near a mount, then compare it to the other side I can use that data to see from a preliminary standpoint if the body is leaning on one side? Maybe apply that same technique to an axle tube and bumpstop as well. If you wanted to get really technical you could actually pull a tape if you wanted to get it down to say a sixteenth of an inch.

I'm not saying going to a frame shop is not a good technique or a waste of money but if the truck visibly is way off, you don't need that level of precision to see where the problem is.

rustystud

So you are telling me that if I slam my hand above the frame rail and under the body panel near a mount, then compare it to the other side I can use that data to see from a preliminary standpoint if the body is leaning on one side? Maybe apply that same technique to an axle tube and bumpstop as well. If you wanted to get really technical you could actually pull a tape if you wanted to get it down to say a sixteenth of an inch.

I'm not saying going to a frame shop is not a good technique or a waste of money but if the truck visibly is way off, you don't need that level of precision to see where the problem is.
Quite often the problem is a shifted axle due to the spring bolt wearing. You can see the frame is out but why is it out ? When a frame shop puts your rig in the jig to check it they support it. So then the axle is out of play. They then can determine that the frame itself is fine and then can further troubleshoot to find the culprit. By just measuring the frame you would not know this. Bent springs, and shocks, and a myriad of other issues can cause a frame to appear to be bent. So it really helps in the long run to be able to isolate the frame as the problem. I have dealt with this issue many times and I'm sure cucvrus has also. That is why both of use are saying to get the frame checked by professionals with the special equipment they have. You can throw a lot of money at a problem without ever finding the real cause. I prefer to find the root cause and fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks