• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to lift on a budget

PeeWeeQ

So, if I want to add some strength to my old, weak springs, and may even a few inches of lift (4" max) in the process, what's the best, cheapest way today so (if there is such a thing)? I'm not afraid of the junkyard either if used springs are a possibility...

Thanks, gents!

Bighorn

So, if I want to add some strength to my old, weak springs, and may even a few inches of lift (4" max) in the process, what's the best, cheapest way today so (if there is such a thing)? I'm not afraid of the junkyard either if used springs are a possibility...

Thanks, gents!
https://www.superlift.com/2-5-inch-...c-k15-4wd-rear-block-kit-with-superide-shocks

Use the stock replacement springs CUCVRUS mentioned elsewhere to boost height just a little OR..
Stick with a 2.5" lift and you won't need to modify the rear driveshaft and it will reduce other bad effects of lifting=cheaper.

Lift a Chevy?:deadhorse:

Last edited:

PeeWeeQ

Just throwin' stuff out there, but, what about add-a-leaf?

Also, if I want 33" tires is 2.5" of lift enough for plenty of clearance? I'm not planning any serious off-road adventures, just a little better gettin' around in the deep, midwest snow....

cucvrus

2" of tire isn't going to make a difference in deep snow. Taller narrow tires go better in deep snow. I have an M1009 with a 7.6 Western plow. Plows snow like a tank with the stock 31 x 10.5 x 15 Firestone Destination AT. And the M1008 /M1028 I use LT23585/R16 Goodyear Duratracs. They also grip well in snow and mud. The contractor that plows here with a lifted truck gets pulled out constantly by one of the CUCV's. He takes a lot of ribbing for it. He actually decided to keep his new pick up stock. After seeing what 40" of wet snow can do to a new plow truck. Not sure you remember when I lost the front driveshaft on the 2015 GMC 2500 plow truck. Never made a whisper. Just like hitting a pot hole and it was gone. Bigger tires less torque and with 135 HP you need all you can get. Or Not. Do as you wish. Sharing ideas/experiences is what it is about. Have a Great Day.

Bighorn

Just throwin' stuff out there, but, what about add-a-leaf?

Also, if I want 33" tires is 2.5" of lift enough for plenty of clearance? I'm not planning any serious off-road adventures, just a little better gettin' around in the deep, midwest snow....
You don't need a lift for 33" tires.
Add a leaf, sure.
A lift is going to do nothing for getting around in the snow.
What will stop you is high centering your transfer case or axle housings on a drift.
Bigger tires helps that.

Any lift is just raising the body of the vehicle; add a leaf, new springs, body bushings, etc., and your undercarriage will drag on the snow long before you get deep enough to worry about the body being an obstacle.
Your best bang for the buck is just swapping 33" tires onto your rig and not worrying about the lift.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider a 33x10.50 as an option. Lift not required. The add a leaf will add a rougher ride too. Zero rate blocks will give you an extra inch if needed. DIY4X has a similar product under a different name

Bighorn

Consider a 33x10.50 as an option. Lift not required. The add a leaf will add a rougher ride too. Zero rate blocks will give you an extra inch if needed. DIY4X has a similar product under a different name
View attachment 705935View attachment 705936
33x10.5 15 on 15x8 steel rims on a stick height M1009.
Gave me an excuse to show off my rig this morning.
Yes, the most beautiful and capable vehi.. okay.. i'll stop.

PeeWeeQ

Perfect! Exactly the info I was looking for, gentlemen.

Lets say I don't care about lift, then. My biggest problem is the weak springs. Can I go to the scrapyard, grab a few extra leafs off of an old GM squarebody and supplement what I have, or, should I just replace everything that's under there and not ever worry about it again? Remember--budget--so even if it gets me by for, say, a few years until I'm done with school and 3/4 of my kids are out of the house--I just need this thing to not lean and dip every time I take a mild corner. Even if it stiffens up the ride, I can deal with it...

I'm looking for multiple ideas so I can decide what's best...Thanks again!

Last edited:

Bighorn

Well you dont want bigger than stock tires then.
Make sure your tires are aired up.
Check that your swaybar isnt missing.
I swapped springs from a 76 k5 onto my 86 m1009 no problems.

PeeWeeQ

20171028_105656[1].jpg

You can see she's leaning a little to the right just sitting on level ground. The tires are good (well, aired up anyway...), sway bar is there...

Drock

Ballin on a budget will only end up costing you more $$$ down the road. 30+ year old junkyard parts are just that, and any lift kit you buy will end up needing an add-a-leaf, do to the extra weight of the 6.2. Some things are just cheaper to do right the first time, spend a little more now to save time & money down the road:shrugs:. Driving a 30+ year old truck has enough issues in and of itself, why add another? Just go with (Off road designs). They specialize in our old Chevy trucks, whereas all the kids at the other companies these days only speak Jeep & IFS.2cents

iacucv

I was just in this pickle a couple months ago. OE springs sagging, wanted to run 33s but thought they'd rub due to sagging. Contemplated heavily between a rough country 2.5" lift, or new stock replacement springs. Read a lot about bad rides on lifts....

I ended up up replacing all springs with oem replacements. I used Michigan spring, but cucvrus has the part no and has surely put those to the test. Expect to have a good 600 bucks in them to do it correctly, new bushings, u bolts and the like. It is not cheaper than the cheap lift, but I am very, very happy with the results. Rides great.

also fwiw, I am running 33x12.50s on the stock wheels. Stance is great, love the look, no rubbing so far at full lock but I don't wheel it. Like you, I just wanted a good ride and something to help me through the Midwest snow. Big plus - still fits in my garage!

LT67

Yes and yes..... I run 33x10.5x15's on my 74 K10 with sagging springs and no issues with tire rubbing at all. I highly recommend a 33x10.5x15.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks